Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View How long will Armageddon last?
6 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2008 - 7:29AM #1
Angoradrengen
Just wondering how long Armageddon will last. Do the bible speak of this? What is your thoughts?

I've been thinking lately, and if Jehovah desided to intervene right now, I know I am not to survive, and therefor I hope Armageddon will not last long.

Do you think we are close? JW's have said we are close for a long time now, so what do you think?

Thoughts?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2008 - 11:01AM #2
JWRonny
<< Just wondering how long Armageddon will last. Do the bible speak of this?

Armageddon will last until the earth is cleansed of anyone choosing to oppose Jehovah (Jer. 25:33).  Exactly how long this will take only Jehovah knows.

Armageddon will mark the end of a "great tribulation such as has not occurred since the world’s beginning until now" - Matt. 24:21. The Gospels show that this tribulation will not start and end at one fell swoop. After it begins, some of disobedient mankind will still be alive as stated at Luke 21:26, to "become faint out of fear and expectation of the things coming upon the inhabited earth."

But there is no reason for us to live in fear of what is going to happen. Jesus did not want his disciples back then to be afraid, and he does not want us to be in fear. He give us this assurance: "on account of the chosen ones those days will be cut short." - Matthew 24:22

<< Do you think we are close? JW's have said we are close for a long time now, so what do you think?

"It does not belong to you to get knowledge of the times or seasons which the Father has placed in his own jurisdiction." - Acts 1:7.

Judging from the "sign of his presence" it appears we are in "the last days" close to "the conclusion of the system of things" (Matthew chapters 24 and 25, Mark 13, Luke 21 and 2 Tim. 3:1) However, what is a very short time in Jehovah's eyes sometimes can seem like a very long time from a imperfect human perspective. "Let this one fact not be escaping your notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day." - 2 Peter 3:7, 8. Viewing these things from Jehovah's  perspective will help us understand: "Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with you because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance." — 2 Peter 3:9.

We need to exercise faith and to keep on the watch. We must continue to live in eager expectation of the exciting events foretold in the Scriptures."Keep looking, keep awake, for you do not know when the appointed time is" - Mark 13:33
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2008 - 11:55AM #3
JWRonny
<< I've been thinking lately, and if Jehovah decided to intervene right now, I know I am not to survive, and therefor I hope Armageddon will not last long.

Dear friend, please do not base your decision to serve Jehovah on fear of not surviving Armageddon. Serving God based on fear is really no different from building a house on sand (Matt. 7:24-27). In face of fierce resistance it will collapse.

Jehovah encourages us to serve him based on love, the opposite of fear. As the apostle John said: "There is no fear in love." - 1 John 4:17-19. When you truly get to know Jehovah by studying the scriptures, praying and meditating on how Jehovah and his son Jesus think, speak and act you will start to develop a personal relationship with God.

When you truly love someone, you often think about that person. You have a strong desire to be close to him because you care for him. The more you see him, talk to him, and think about him, the more your love for him grows. This principle also applies to your cultivating love for God. "Draw close to God, and he will draw close to you." - James 4:8.

Are you taking in knowledge of Jehovah so as to become intimately acquainted with him? To do so, you need to “form a longing” for the spiritual food that God provides. (1 Peter 2:2) Do not be satisfied with the basics. Seek to take in some of the Bible’s deeper teachings. (Hebrews 5:12-14) At Psalm 77:12, the inspired writer says: “I shall certainly meditate on all your activity, and with your dealings I will concern myself.” Meditation is vital in cultivating love for God. This is especially true in view of the fact that he is invisible. But the more you think about him, the more real he will become to you. Only then can you develop a heartfelt and affectionate relationship with him - because he is real to you.

Another important element is prayer. That is why the Bible repeatedly exhorts us to pray “on every occasion,” ‘devoting time to prayer,’ ‘persevering in prayer,’ and ‘praying incessantly.’ (Ephesians 6:18; 1 Corinthians 7:5; Romans 12:12; 1 Thessalonians 5:17) Our incessant prayers to Jehovah will endear us to him, and the assurance that he listens will draw us close to him. This was confirmed by the psalmist, when he declared: “I do love, because Jehovah hears my voice, my entreaties. For he has inclined his ear to me, and throughout my days I shall call.” - Psalm 116:1, 2.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2008 - 12:47PM #4
goodtobehome
Well said and nice to meet you, Ronny.

Ang.. don't assume you know things you cannot know... ya know?

you said.

I know I am not to survive, and therefor I hope Armageddon will not last long.

this is a humble attitude, and is far better than thinking you got it 'made in the shade.'  But remember, Jehovah had the angels lead Lot and his family by the hand out of the city when they just weren't going fast enough.  We are each on a path, toward God or away from him.  When Armageddon comes, it is up to Jehovah and his righteous judge Jesus to determine which direction he finds us.  No matter how far along you are, he can 'sweep you along' to survival.  Stay pointed in the right direction, even baby steps are good, friend, it will be okay.

Ronny's points are very valid.  Fear might move some to look into the promises, but fear won't keep you focused on the promises.

Based on how close mankind is drawing to really ruining the Earth, I believe we are getting close.  That doesn't mean there is not time.  Jehovah is 'greater than your heart and knows all things.'  1 John 3:20  He truly cares for you, after all, he gave you a personal gift, his son as a Ransomer. 

And that same Son told us, "have no fear, only exercise faith.'  Mark 5:36

And 'faith follows the thing heard.'  Roman 10:17
So keep 'hearing' things that will build you a solid faith.  That is all you have to do, it is doable, because Jehovah promised us his own power by holy spirit to help us do it.

You can do it, we all can.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2008 - 2:41PM #5
Cassie144000
*** w89 9/1 p. 19 par. 7 Remaining Organized for Survival Into the Millennium ***

Only Jehovah’s Witnesses, those of the anointed remnant and the “great crowd,” as a united organization under the protection of the Supreme Organizer, have any Scriptural hope of surviving the impending end of this doomed system dominated by Satan the Devil. (Revelation 7:9-17; 2 Corinthians 4:4) They will make up the “flesh” that Jesus Christ said would be saved through the worst tribulation of all human history. As it was in the days of Noah, said Jesus, so it would be in the day when He would be revealed. Inside the ark that took many years of organized effort to complete, only eight human souls survived the global Deluge. They survived as a united family group. (Matthew 24:22, 37-39; Luke 17:26-30) Noah’s wife corresponds to the bride of Christ, and his sons and daughters-in-law to Jesus’ present-day “other sheep,” who have grown into an increasing great crowd, the final proportions of which we do not now know. (John 10:16) For survival into the Millennium under the Greater Noah, Jesus Christ, they have to remain organized with the anointed remnant, “the chosen ones” on account of whom the days of the “great tribulation” will be cut short.—Matthew 24:21, 22.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2008 - 9:58PM #6
anotherpaul
[QUOTE=Angoradrengen;605534]Just wondering how long Armageddon will last. Do the bible speak of this? What is your thoughts? [/QUOTE]

A.P. No longer than necessary. The flood took 40 days.

[QUOTE] I've been thinking lately, and if Jehovah desided to intervene right now, I know I am not to survive, and therefor I hope Armageddon will not last long. [/QUOTE]

A.P. Those who survive are those who are obedient and faithful. How long they need to be so is not stated. Remember Jesus' parable of the sowers who all worked different hours. They all got the same pay.

[QUOTE] Do you think we are close? JW's have said we are close for a long time now, so what do you think?

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

A.P. Closer than yesterday. Beyond that who knows? I would like the end to come soon, but I would also like to see a few million Chinese and Indian Witnesses appear and that would take a little time.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2008 - 6:48AM #7
Angoradrengen
[QUOTE=JWRonny;605747]<< Just wondering how long Armageddon will last. Do the bible speak of this?

Armageddon will last until the earth is cleansed of anyone choosing to oppose Jehovah (Jer. 25:33).  Exactly how long this will take only Jehovah knows.

Armageddon will mark the end of a "great tribulation such as has not occurred since the world’s beginning until now" - Matt. 24:21. The Gospels show that this tribulation will not start and end at one fell swoop. After it begins, some of disobedient mankind will still be alive as stated at Luke 21:26, to "become faint out of fear and expectation of the things coming upon the inhabited earth."

But there is no reason for us to live in fear of what is going to happen. Jesus did not want his disciples back then to be afraid, and he does not want us to be in fear. He give us this assurance: "on account of the chosen ones those days will be cut short." - Matthew 24:22

<< Do you think we are close? JW's have said we are close for a long time now, so what do you think?

"It does not belong to you to get knowledge of the times or seasons which the Father has placed in his own jurisdiction." - Acts 1:7.

Judging from the "sign of his presence" it appears we are in "the last days" close to "the conclusion of the system of things" (Matthew chapters 24 and 25, Mark 13, Luke 21 and 2 Tim. 3:1) However, what is a very short time in Jehovah's eyes sometimes can seem like a very long time from a imperfect human perspective. "Let this one fact not be escaping your notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day." - 2 Peter 3:7, 8. Viewing these things from Jehovah's  perspective will help us understand: "Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with you because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance." — 2 Peter 3:9.

We need to exercise faith and to keep on the watch. We must continue to live in eager expectation of the exciting events foretold in the Scriptures."Keep looking, keep awake, for you do not know when the appointed time is" - Mark 13:33[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=JWRonny;605840]<< I've been thinking lately, and if Jehovah decided to intervene right now, I know I am not to survive, and therefor I hope Armageddon will not last long.

Dear friend, please do not base your decision to serve Jehovah on fear of not surviving Armageddon. Serving God based on fear is really no different from building a house on sand (Matt. 7:24-27). In face of fierce resistance it will collapse.

Jehovah encourages us to serve him based on love, the opposite of fear. As the apostle John said: "There is no fear in love." - 1 John 4:17-19. When you truly get to know Jehovah by studying the scriptures, praying and meditating on how Jehovah and his son Jesus think, speak and act you will start to develop a personal relationship with God.

When you truly love someone, you often think about that person. You have a strong desire to be close to him because you care for him. The more you see him, talk to him, and think about him, the more your love for him grows. This principle also applies to your cultivating love for God. "Draw close to God, and he will draw close to you." - James 4:8.

Are you taking in knowledge of Jehovah so as to become intimately acquainted with him? To do so, you need to “form a longing” for the spiritual food that God provides. (1 Peter 2:2) Do not be satisfied with the basics. Seek to take in some of the Bible’s deeper teachings. (Hebrews 5:12-14) At Psalm 77:12, the inspired writer says: “I shall certainly meditate on all your activity, and with your dealings I will concern myself.” Meditation is vital in cultivating love for God. This is especially true in view of the fact that he is invisible. But the more you think about him, the more real he will become to you. Only then can you develop a heartfelt and affectionate relationship with him - because he is real to you.

Another important element is prayer. That is why the Bible repeatedly exhorts us to pray “on every occasion,” ‘devoting time to prayer,’ ‘persevering in prayer,’ and ‘praying incessantly.’ (Ephesians 6:18; 1 Corinthians 7:5; Romans 12:12; 1 Thessalonians 5:17) Our incessant prayers to Jehovah will endear us to him, and the assurance that he listens will draw us close to him. This was confirmed by the psalmist, when he declared: “I do love, because Jehovah hears my voice, my entreaties. For he has inclined his ear to me, and throughout my days I shall call.” - Psalm 116:1, 2.[/QUOTE]

Hi.. Thank you for all the scriptures :)

I do not wan't to serve Jehovah because of fear no, but can anyone really say that they are not afraid of what is going to happend? In my mind it is logical to be scared, when the bibel says that it is only a few that will be saved, and "MAYBE" one can take place on earth forever. Just maybe.

But no, the main reason I wan't to serve God, is because I can see that mankind cannot live much longer, as it is now. And because I love him. But there is some fear - Might as well be honest.

[QUOTE=goodtobehome;605965]Well said and nice to meet you, Ronny.

Ang.. don't assume you know things you cannot know... ya know?

you said.

I know I am not to survive, and therefor I hope Armageddon will not last long.

this is a humble attitude, and is far better than thinking you got it 'made in the shade.'  But remember, Jehovah had the angels lead Lot and his family by the hand out of the city when they just weren't going fast enough.  We are each on a path, toward God or away from him.  When Armageddon comes, it is up to Jehovah and his righteous judge Jesus to determine which direction he finds us.  No matter how far along you are, he can 'sweep you along' to survival.  Stay pointed in the right direction, even baby steps are good, friend, it will be okay.

Ronny's points are very valid.  Fear might move some to look into the promises, but fear won't keep you focused on the promises.

Based on how close mankind is drawing to really ruining the Earth, I believe we are getting close.  That doesn't mean there is not time.  Jehovah is 'greater than your heart and knows all things.'  1 John 3:20  He truly cares for you, after all, he gave you a personal gift, his son as a Ransomer. 

And that same Son told us, "have no fear, only exercise faith.'  Mark 5:36

And 'faith follows the thing heard.'  Roman 10:17
So keep 'hearing' things that will build you a solid faith.  That is all you have to do, it is doable, because Jehovah promised us his own power by holy spirit to help us do it.

You can do it, we all can.[/QUOTE]

Kind words - Thank you :)

I know I can - Sometimes things just seem as it is impossible for me, to get back on track. There are a lot of changes to be made. But I will keep praying and read the bibel, a long with my study.

[QUOTE=Cassie144000;606171]*** w89 9/1 p. 19 par. 7 Remaining Organized for Survival Into the Millennium ***

Only Jehovah’s Witnesses, those of the anointed remnant and the “great crowd,” as a united organization under the protection of the Supreme Organizer, have any Scriptural hope of surviving the impending end of this doomed system dominated by Satan the Devil. (Revelation 7:9-17; 2 Corinthians 4:4) They will make up the “flesh” that Jesus Christ said would be saved through the worst tribulation of all human history. As it was in the days of Noah, said Jesus, so it would be in the day when He would be revealed. Inside the ark that took many years of organized effort to complete, only eight human souls survived the global Deluge. They survived as a united family group. (Matthew 24:22, 37-39; Luke 17:26-30) Noah’s wife corresponds to the bride of Christ, and his sons and daughters-in-law to Jesus’ present-day “other sheep,” who have grown into an increasing great crowd, the final proportions of which we do not now know. (John 10:16) For survival into the Millennium under the Greater Noah, Jesus Christ, they have to remain organized with the anointed remnant, “the chosen ones” on account of whom the days of the “great tribulation” will be cut short.—Matthew 24:21, 22.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=anotherpaul;606785]A.P. No longer than necessary. The flood took 40 days.

A.P. Those who survive are those who are obedient and faithful. How long they need to be so is not stated. Remember Jesus' parable of the sowers who all worked different hours. They all got the same pay.

A.P. Closer than yesterday. Beyond that who knows? I would like the end to come soon, but I would also like to see a few million Chinese and Indian Witnesses appear and that would take a little time.[/QUOTE]

But what more has to happen? Religion must be banned and the good news delivered to the entire earth? I spoke to a brother, who said that the good news HAS been delivered to the entire earth, so we are close. But yes, wwho are to know.

Thanks for all of your posts..
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2008 - 4:22PM #8
JWRonny
[QUOTE=Angoradrengen;608607]
I do not wan't to serve Jehovah because of fear no, but can anyone really say that they are not afraid of what is going to happend? In my mind it is logical to be scared, when the bibel says that it is only a few that will be saved, and "MAYBE" one can take place on earth forever. Just maybe.
[/QUOTE]

If my salvation was depending on me I would not feel confident at all. "There is no man that does not sin" - 1Ki 8:46 and "the wages sin pays is death" - Ro 6:23.  But the good news is, salvation depends on Jesus: "See, the Lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world" - Joh 1:29

"“And I shall by no means call their sins and their lawless deeds to mind anymore ......... Therefore, brothers, since we have boldness for the way of entry into the holy place by the blood of Jesus, which he inaugurated for us as a new and living way through the curtain, that is, his flesh, and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us approach with true hearts in the full assurance of faith, having had our hearts sprinkled from a wicked conscience and our bodies bathed with clean water." - Heb 10:17-19

Do you really trust this to be true in your heart? If you do: "Happy are those whose lawless deeds have been pardoned and whose sins have been covered; happy is the man whose sin Jehovah will by no means take into account.” - Ro 4:7,8

However, even if Jehovah lovingly forgives our weaknesses we can not stop trying to overcome them.  “For if we practice sin willfully after having received the accurate knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left, but [there is] a certain fearful expectation of judgment and [there is] a fiery jealousy that is going to consume those in opposition” - Heb 10:26,27

I know I can - Sometimes things just seem as it is impossible for me, to get back on track. There are a lot of changes to be made. But I will keep praying and read the bibel, a long with my study.
[/QUOTE]

If on occasion you are saddened by failures of one kind or another, make sure that you are not "swallowed up by being overly sad." - 2 Corinthians 2:7. Satan may try to encourage the feeling that you are worthless in God’s eyes, as Bildad tried to do to Job (Job 25:4-6).

You can be certain that Jehovah notices how hard you struggle to "get back on track" and he "is not unrighteous so as to forget your work and the love you showed for his name.” - Hebrews 6:10
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2008 - 4:35PM #9
goodtobehome
And remember, when we ask forgiveness for our sins, it is like the 'delete' button on your hard drive.  Jehovah forgives those sins.. wipes them off the 'list.'    God is love, and love keeps no account of injury, remember?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2008 - 10:13PM #10
anotherpaul

But what more has to happen? Religion must be banned and the good news delivered to the entire earth? I spoke to a brother, who said that the good news HAS been delivered to the entire earth, so we are close. But yes, wwho are to know.

Thanks for all of your posts..[/QUOTE]

A.P.We do not know what is yet to be accomplished. However one thing is still not completed.

Revelation 7:1 After this I saw four angels standing upon the four corners of the earth, holding tight the four winds of the earth, that no wind might blow upon the earth or upon the sea or upon any tree. 2 And I saw another angel ascending from the sunrising, having a seal of [the] living God; and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels to whom it was granted to harm the earth and the sea, 3 saying: “Do not harm the earth or the sea or the trees, until after we have sealed the slaves of our God in their foreheads.”

It seems a few of the anointed are yet to be sealed in finality.

Plus we do not know if the work has been acccomplished world wide. After all, while the scriptures say that the 'circuit of the cities' will not be completed, it does not say the circuit of the nations. Matt 24:14 speaks of ALL nations getting a witness. China and India are a Looong way from having such a witness at this point. The WTS is now sending groups into China to preach. Remember between China and India nearly 1/3 of the worlds population is isolated from our work.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook