Page 8 of 12  •  Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Reactions from others
6 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2009 - 5:49AM #71
Sl.se

Jun 27, 2008 -- 11:32PM, Rayzorblade wrote:

Hey everyone, I was just looking over the boards, and a question popped into my mind. I am a pagan, and open about it, i wont hide it away and pretend to be something I'm not. I was just wondering how other people react to you guys. I get met with hate and fear whenever someone finds out. I had a best friend of 5 years tell me I was going to a Christian hell. I have gotten death threats and all the yummy stuff and i am only 16! Just some thoughts. Yours truly, Brad AKA Rayzorblade

Were are you from?!

I'm also open about my paganism, but I've never been threathened for it. But I often get questions like "so you don't celebrate christmas or easter then?"...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2009 - 9:02PM #72
Eveningrose1397

Sadly enough, people today aren't always as excepting as some would like to believe. We are currently living in world where many people (young and old) are turning to alternative spiritual practices. And, that probably freaks a lot of people out!

For my own life experiences, being "naturally different" can be at times--a curse. I've had rocks, sticks, cans, food, animal excrement and THEN SOME thrown at me since a very early age. Because for some reason (contested by a few...), people were made uneasy around me. This continued for 6 years, until I found a way to make peace with it and in a way...fight back. I read up on everything on religion and magic. And found the reason behind others suspicion. I'm a witch.

I was raised Conservative Baptist, by my grandparents and uncle. However, I always had my own beliefs and would constantly exercised them when desired-always in private however.

However, all that was about to change. When I got pregnant by my fiance, his Mother's attitude took a total turn for the worst.

She pretty much thinks of me as The Devil and is never shy on insults and condemnation. Being a very religious woman, it drives her crazy that her son chose "a pagan bride" (so to speak)...

But you know what? If we rely too much on what other people think of us, we lose ourselves. And trust me, it might be a long, long time until you "re-discover" yourself after trying to submit to others misconceptions.

So I say F*** 'Em!!!! Be yourself!!! Go cast your spells, act on the rituals, worship the Gods (Goddess/God), dance naked under the moon....DO IT!!! If it's who you are...then DO IT!! ;)

Blessings!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2009 - 1:27PM #73
Noman

I think its strange, im am not american so, Half of Europe fled to america, 1/5 of my contrys citizens fled to america, and they did run away from religios idiots in europe, Learn some history of the catholic and protestant in europe, and you would to have run

But over what i see from here, is that USA has become what they fled from.

No religion is over another, free mind, christians often talk of new testament, but if you not are one of them, the get old testament, and the sword is raised. Balticum was christian by men with  the bible in one hand, and the sword in the other. When they tryed to get it to sweden, it first took some preist that got slain, and then christ was not pinned to a cross, bleeding and weak, ni, he was a warrior White christ. Over here they say that christianity is the wurst that has happenen to the people, Where in the bible is a pope, big expensive churches, preist with power to kill. Its all about power. The cermony the new pope get, is the cermony the last roman empirators got.

Why is it so important over what or who you belive in, i dont care what others are, and if somebody presents him to me as a christian, i wonder why, i dont care, i dont se hem as a better man, more like a lesser man. Its nobodys buisness what mine is.

Stand up for your self, if they act like that in the name of christian, i would never want to be a christian.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2009 - 1:00PM #74
Sirthorgil

Heilsa (greetings) all!

Well I'm new to this site. And I read this whole thread and have to say.... WOW! Your answers to this young persons question are as diverse as the religions and places your all from.... I have had mixed reactions myself... still trying to explain it all to my parents (25 btw). My fiancee is a Wiccan and she's really just starting out. I on the other hand am an Odinist. I have been for almost a year. I've studied much and learnd much of my religion and my people. I even started my own kindred. The best reactions I've gotten were when I tell people about the time I meditated and met Odin, and how He gave me responsibilities. And also when i relate a story that happened to an Asaman I know of. People are kinda shocked at the stories and most consider it cool. However I have had some of my own people (Asatrúar) knock my beliefs and my spiritual journies.... that is most disheartining. But I will forget about them and carry on with my head held high. Proud to be a Warrior of Odin. And I'm surely Valhalla Bound.

Til we be gathered to the Gods.

Sir Thorgil Odinsson

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 14, 2009 - 12:50AM #75
tameless_heart

Why do they knock your beliefs? You're not a fluffy are you?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2009 - 4:30PM #76
Sirthorgil

No I'm not fluffy! WTF is that about?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2009 - 12:22PM #77
CreakyHedgewitch

Sir Thorgil,

Welcome to Beliefnet. We don't get that many Odinists here in the Paganism boards but those that come do bring intriguing opinions and differing perspectives on sometimes overly familiar subjects.

The first couple of years of starting out on any spiritual journey is rewarding and challenging as you undoubtedly know. I call this the honeymoon period and it should be enjoyed to the fullest. Sealed

That initial glow or exhilaration of discovery doesn't last but IMO it isn't meant to. During the honeymoon period, one is still building the foundation of one's living faith and just starting to road test what exists through life's challenges. That foundation will change and grow as part of one's growing spiritual maturity. For example, eventually the outward perceptions as being seen as cool or seeking out the reactions of others tends to become less reflective of the progress of one's internal spiritual journey.

Further along that journey, one IME is often better able to understand why others react negatively and that enables one to directly benefit from such encounters. For as much as agreement and acceptance nourish one's spiritual journey, spiritual growth tend to flourish better when we have to deal with disagreement and challenge. It is rather like having a balance of (disagreement) rain Cry and (agreement)  Cool sun for a healthy garden. If you have all sun and no rain, anything that does initially grow eventually will dry up. If you have all rain and no sun, those seeds simply won't grow. Something to consider at least.

TM is well able to speak for herself and I am making an assumption here but I suspect the fluffy question may stem from the particular combination of information that you choose to share. I prefer to wait until the third or fourth post before deciding if that label is appropriate. Wink So please don't take any of the following as suggesting that the examples here relate to you personally. Rather this is in the pursuit of expanding your understanding of the term fluffy itself.

Being fluffy is usually defined (to use an analogy) as someone who skims through a single textbook and then tells the teacher off after being told they don't know it all yet. We call that hostile or defensive reaction Yell being bitten by a fluffy bunny.  Personally I've always preferred biting bunnies to martyr bunnies whining about how nasty and mean everyone is being to them or the Cry Woe is poor little Me, Me, Me!. Biting back requires strength however momentarily misdirected and pursuing any spiritual path in the long term requires such strength. On the other hand, maturity enables one to defend one's beliefs without biting or snarling back so in that regard even biting bunnies are still fluffies.

Most fluffies are very new to whichever faith (although not always) which combines with another trait of insisting that he or she have studied enough to start their own version, group, coven, circle or whatever. More experienced practitioners tend to get rather concerned at the sight of a fluffy bunny charging full ahead into donning the responsibilities of leadership. When you have more experience, you usually have to be dragged kicking and screaming Foot in mouth into that role cause you know a lot more about the personal cost of leading others well.

Another common fluffy trait is deliberately seeking to impress others by sharing spiritual information that usually is considered appropriate only between the Gods and the practitioner. Wicca for example is a mystery faith where such is traditionally oathbound or it simply can't be articulated. Experiential validation is almost universal across the breadth of what is labeled as modern Paganism and that means that what is most profoundly experienced cannot be articulated to others. Now amongst the Asatrúar, this may differ of course. Fluffies on the other hand may often fall into the 'my Athame is bigger than yours' verbalization trap.

One of the most common fluffy characteristics is that of dismissing those who disagree or knock their beliefs without seeking to understand why or taking into account that that there might be legitimate reasons for doing so. It is considered indicative of having a closed mind or as someone who has stopped learned (at the moment). Or to use an image from a friend, that's when the bunny has backed themselves into a gerbil cage and is endlessly turning the same wheel over and over. Frown

Now no one is obliged to meet someone else's expectations. If one wants recognition or acknowledgement from others however as being the same, then one may choose to change in order to get it. If one wants to be accepted or to belong to a group, again the choice of changing to fit in with what the group has agreed upon will come up. Likewise, no one is obliged to recognize or acknowledge anyone else as being the same if what is being labeled as X differs sufficiently from what he or she knows as X.

Not sure if any of this long-winded response is helpful but hoping something is. Again, welcome to the Earth-based Forums.

C.H.

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2009 - 4:52PM #78
Windance
[/quote]

Hi all!

I'm new to the board, too.  I loved what Eveningrose had to say - quoted above. It goes along with my reasons for joining Beliefnet.  After a lifetime of feeling like there was something more, somethinhg missing, something BETTER in regard to spirituality, I now live life on my terms!  And I found peace in doing so.

When asked, I had always said that I was a Christian (...and thought I was) until important troubling and unanswered questions kept creeping to find me during most inopportune times. Like the deaths of my children... believe me, I found no solace in traditional religion there.  But I knew somehow that something in nature would get me through, even though the very act of inhaling (inspiration!) was a form of aerobics in my mind.

I learned that I actually felt better if I would go outside in the breeze, sink my toes in the grass and breathe in the life force. Since then, I've only learned through quiet self study, reflection and reading. It's no one's business how I worship, or what I worship, but it's SO nice to find that others feel the same way. No one should be judged. No one has the right to judge another. I say 'do no harm' and find ways to live life honorably. To each their own!

Peace and blessings!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2009 - 5:16PM #79
CreakyHedgewitch

Windance,

Welcome to the boards.

Not actually seeing what you quoted from Eveningrose unfortunately. Not sure why.

C.H.
Community Host
Paganism Forum
No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2009 - 5:44PM #80
Windance

Thanks!

I had copied and pasted, but oh well... so goes life!  Actually, what I was referring to was her last 2 statements/paragraphs.

I know it's just so much easier to do what's considered to be 'socially acceptable' but I also think that discretionary disclosure has its place. Meaning, I share my spiritual beliefs with few people because not everyone deserves to be included in that intimate part of who I am. 

But I smile from inside, because I know I'm free. I'm not clad to the chains of official religion that - in my opinion - was derived so long ago as nothing much more than a means to control the masses. And we all know that it worked!

Now I want to learn more about earth based spirituality - officially!

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 8 of 12  •  Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook