Page 3 of 12  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Reactions from others
6 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2008 - 9:56AM #21
Sacrificialgoddess

Dromahair wrote:

I've lived in Fort Worth for over 15 years.  Openly (but not in your face) pagan.

No problems.

We do pretty well for ourselves here.
I've noticed quite a bit more "fluff" in the Dallas scene so maybe it's a question of Quality over Quantity.  :)

Maybe.  :)  I have been to Dallas many, many times.  Fort Worth, once.  And I was five.  :p

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2008 - 10:19AM #22
Dromahair
[QUOTE=sacrificialgoddess;611091]Maybe.  :)  I have been to Dallas many, many times.  Fort Worth, once.  And I was five.  :p[/QUOTE]

Oh, you should definitely spend a little time in Fort Worth!

It's an all-around better place than Dallas.  :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2008 - 11:34PM #23
Rayzorblade
[QUOTE=Dromahair;611138]Oh, you should definitely spend a little time in Fort Worth!

It's an all-around better place than Dallas.  :)[/QUOTE]

Check out Flower Mound, such a beautiful place, even if it was hotter than the sun. Dromahair, do you know if the actual flower mound the city was named after is still alive?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2008 - 11:34PM #24
Rayzorblade
[QUOTE=Dromahair;611138]Oh, you should definitely spend a little time in Fort Worth!

It's an all-around better place than Dallas.  :)[/QUOTE]

Check out Flower Mound, such a beautiful place, even if it was hotter than the sun. Dromahair, do you know if the actual flower mound the city was named after is still alive?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2008 - 10:54AM #25
Dromahair
[QUOTE=Rayzorblade;612781]Check out Flower Mound, such a beautiful place, even if it was hotter than the sun. Dromahair, do you know if the actual flower mound the city was named after is still alive?[/QUOTE]

No clue.

Don't actually find myself there very often.
It's a little too Stepford for my particular tastes.  :)
But it is pretty.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2008 - 11:56AM #26
Rayzorblade
[QUOTE=Dromahair;613457]No clue.

Don't actually find myself there very often.
It's a little too Stepford for my particular tastes.  :)
But it is pretty.[/QUOTE]

lol, i loved texas, even if it was hot, then i moved to a place that was 5 degree less and its cold! jk =)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2008 - 12:03AM #27
Ursyl
I've mostly had neutral reactions if the question has even come up in conversation. Unless I've gotten to know the person well enough though, I fall back on being UU. I just don't go into the detail of being a Pagan UU.

We have quite the active little group of us Pagans of various persuasions at our UU.:)

Two reactions that stand out in my memory though are my daughter's preschool teacher's "oh my" when I told her that we're not Christian in the course of a conversation about a particular book.  The book was "Purpose Driven Life" and I wish I could get my time back that I spent reading that drivel.

Second was a friend who'd know I was Pagan for years suddenly telling me that she could not be friends with someone of such different beliefs. That hurt as she'd been like a surrogate grandmother to my kids over the years.

Such is life I suppose.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2008 - 11:43PM #28
Rayzorblade
[QUOTE=Seeker Tom;623274]Reactions from others... mixed I guess.  Interesting family I have now.  My wife is UU. My brother in law is pagan, his girlfriend is similar.  But my sister and mom are two of the most die-hard christians you could come by.  My father is Christian, but holds an interpretive meaning on many gospels.  My sister's husband is the son of a Baptist Minister as well...

I mention the background because I finally had to explain my beliefs etc... to my parents this weekend (Im 30 by the way).  I keep my Pagan beliefs to myself to keep from rocking the boat when I am in their house etc...  So it has taken them awhile to figure out I think differently about things...but had to explain after I got the questions regarding the pentacle symbol I have on my shoulder.
It was a civil conversation...but I was just as amazed to hear her say that she thought we were direct descendants from Adam and Eve, swept aside the theory of evolution, and 100% agreed with the OT that Noah built an ark right before God flooded the earth.  Probably about the same shock for her hearing that I would rather "Ring out the Solstice Bells" than say grace and praise Jesus.

The main thing i want to say about people's reaction that I have found...  Is that, when explaining to Christians, many (not all) seem to immediately get defensive or feel like you are in an antagonistic position to them.  The perception is interesting to say the least.

But what do I know... I'm "lost" and apparently may need an "intervention" to be "saved".  Thanks for the support... ;-)

But on my wife's side...no issues.  We're ringing out solstice bells, brewing "Beltane Ale", having a fire festival or two, and spending time in nature.

Blessed be.[/QUOTE]

you sound like you have a good life, with understanding people. i wish you luck =D
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2008 - 11:45PM #29
Rayzorblade
[QUOTE=Ursyl;625357]I've mostly had neutral reactions if the question has even come up in conversation. Unless I've gotten to know the person well enough though, I fall back on being UU. I just don't go into the detail of being a Pagan UU.

We have quite the active little group of us Pagans of various persuasions at our UU.:)

Two reactions that stand out in my memory though are my daughter's preschool teacher's "oh my" when I told her that we're not Christian in the course of a conversation about a particular book.  The book was "Purpose Driven Life" and I wish I could get my time back that I spent reading that drivel.

Second was a friend who'd know I was Pagan for years suddenly telling me that she could not be friends with someone of such different beliefs. That hurt as she'd been like a surrogate grandmother to my kids over the years.

Such is life I suppose.[/QUOTE]

wow that sucks... i really feel bad for you that your friend left you. Hopefully the kids are fine
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2008 - 1:43AM #30
Ursyl
My son, 17, got quite the lesson in how to not treat others. My daughter, 9, was only 2 at the time, so no real affect on her.

Both have friends who know that they are not Christian, and are still friends. We've been blessed in that most we've met are of the "my beliefs are mine, and yours are cool for you too" variety.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 12  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook