Page 2 of 12  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Reactions from others
6 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2008 - 12:35PM #11
Gandalf_Parker
I dont tend to get much of a reaction. But I think its the way I present it. When asked about religion I reply "oh Im neo-Pagan (druidic)". I try to say it in the same way that someone would say "oh Im Catholic" as if to wave it off as no big deal and not really expecting any reaction from the person because of it.

When I do get a reaction, it tends to start off less agressive that way. More along the line of confusion as to why I think its such a normal thing. A much easier conversation to have.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2008 - 1:03AM #12
Rayzorblade
Hmmm, i think the reactions are different in different regions. if i had said anything while i lived in texas, they would have tried to crucify me =)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2008 - 1:05AM #13
Sacrificialgoddess

Rayzorblade wrote:

Hmmm, i think the reactions are different in different regions. if i had said anything while i lived in texas, they would have tried to crucify me =)

Depends on where you were in Texas.  Dallas would have been no problem at all.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2008 - 1:07AM #14
Rayzorblade
I lived near fort worth, just 7 miles south of the airport, i got preached to everyday
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2008 - 1:10AM #15
Sacrificialgoddess

Rayzorblade wrote:

I lived near fort worth, just 7 miles south of the airport, i got preached to everyday

Hmmm... Dallas' pagan population is stunningly huge.  I don't know about Fort Worth.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2008 - 1:12AM #16
Rayzorblade
[QUOTE=sacrificialgoddess;607025]Hmmm... Dallas' pagan population is stunningly huge.  I don't know about Fort Worth.[/QUOTE]
hmmmm, i dont know... i just had such a strong christian upbringing, a lot of people are really surprised to find out im not and think i am messing with them
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2008 - 11:37AM #17
Diarmuid
My area is thickly Catholic and everyone that I "came out" to were fine with it, I never encountered any problems.
It wasn't until a new evangelical church was built near my home that I really started getting it. They teach their youth to be more "militant:"  and "active" in "spreading the word" and "saving" people. 
Many of my friends (the majority) have left Catholicism for this church, and many of my friends are now evangelical and, well, no longer my friends. I still have a few friends that go there, though only the people who were always more accepting than most. I have had people from the church calling some of my friends and telling them to invite me to church, even though I was right there, and inviting me to the Minnesota Youth Convention (which some of my friends tell me was creepy as hell with all the fundie crap). I have also had friends leave the church, because of me, when other members of the church would debate with them about me.
I find it really invasive of my privacy, as I only come out to my friends, and then I have former friends informing their church members about me, when it is NONE of their business.
Now, I have learned to ignore everything they do. It isn't worth my time to debate and fight with people I can't change.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2008 - 2:12PM #18
Dromahair
[QUOTE=Rayzorblade;607021]I lived near fort worth, just 7 miles south of the airport, i got preached to everyday[/QUOTE]

I've lived in Fort Worth for over 15 years.  Openly (but not in your face) pagan.

No problems.

[QUOTE=sacrificialgoddess;607025]Hmmm... Dallas' pagan population is stunningly huge.  I don't know about Fort Worth.[/QUOTE]

We do pretty well for ourselves here.
I've noticed quite a bit more "fluff" in the Dallas scene so maybe it's a question of Quality over Quantity.  :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2008 - 12:40AM #19
Rayzorblade
[QUOTE=Diarmuid;607463]My area is thickly Catholic and everyone that I "came out" to were fine with it, I never encountered any problems.
It wasn't until a new evangelical church was built near my home that I really started getting it. They teach their youth to be more "militant:"  and "active" in "spreading the word" and "saving" people. 
Many of my friends (the majority) have left Catholicism for this church, and many of my friends are now evangelical and, well, no longer my friends. I still have a few friends that go there, though only the people who were always more accepting than most. I have had people from the church calling some of my friends and telling them to invite me to church, even though I was right there, and inviting me to the Minnesota Youth Convention (which some of my friends tell me was creepy as hell with all the fundie crap). I have also had friends leave the church, because of me, when other members of the church would debate with them about me.
I find it really invasive of my privacy, as I only come out to my friends, and then I have former friends informing their church members about me, when it is NONE of their business.
Now, I have learned to ignore everything they do. It isn't worth my time to debate and fight with people I can't change.[/QUOTE]

That sucks. i hate those "militant" type
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2008 - 8:10AM #20
John_T_Mainer
[QUOTE=Rayzorblade;607028]hmmmm, i dont know... i just had such a strong christian upbringing, a lot of people are really surprised to find out im not and think i am messing with them[/QUOTE]

There are so many Asatru in Texas they even have a nickname: Texatru.  Really the Christians may shout a lot, but they sure can't intimidate the Texatru.  You cannot find a place that idealizes rugged individualism that does not also crawl with Pagans.  One of the first freedoms seized, and hardest defended, is religious thought.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 12  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook