Post Reply
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
6 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2008 - 7:52PM #1
CLHazz
Posts: 94
Hi, I am wondering if anyone could help me here(having trouble finding the right words so bear with me). Okay here goes<>: Some of you may have come across me and have even posted but I need some guidance. Just to start with I have created an altar that represents the seasons, I enjoy being outside more than ever since being treated for anxiety over a year ago. I have done some research on some of the traditions but it's either confusing, just not right for me considering my circumstances, but right now I am feeling lost with connecting to the Divine. Is it neccassary to pick a set of god/goddess to have a relationship with? I feel nothing but frustrated and baffled as to where to go. I need help with shaping my own practice because here out in the...physical world I have no one to teach me, to give me guidance, all that I ask is to keep it as simple as possible. Feel free to ask questions that I wouldn't consider as I am a newbie, or a novice pagan as I like to call myself. Thanks
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2008 - 10:27PM #2
Sacrificialgoddess
Posts: 9,496

CLHazz wrote:

Hi, I am wondering if anyone could help me here(having trouble finding the right words so bear with me). Okay here goes<>: Some of you may have come across me and have even posted but I need some guidance. Just to start with I have created an altar that represents the seasons, I enjoy being outside more than ever since being treated for anxiety over a year ago. I have done some research on some of the traditions but it's either confusing, just not right for me considering my circumstances, but right now I am feeling lost with connecting to the Divine. Is it neccassary to pick a set of god/goddess to have a relationship with? I feel nothing but frustrated and baffled as to where to go. I need help with shaping my own practice because here out in the...physical world I have no one to teach me, to give me guidance, all that I ask is to keep it as simple as possible. Feel free to ask questions that I wouldn't consider as I am a newbie, or a novice pagan as I like to call myself. Thanks





Talk to the gods, Hazz.  Those who are yours will talk back.  ;)

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2008 - 7:14AM #3
CLHazz
Posts: 94
Thanks SG for your answer and for keeping it simple, simple for a newbie, thanks again
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2008 - 3:16PM #4
Brownowl33
Posts: 443
[QUOTE=CLHazz;580401]Hi, I am wondering if anyone could help me here(having trouble finding the right words so bear with me). Okay here goes<>: Some of you may have come across me and have even posted but I need some guidance. Just to start with I have created an altar that represents the seasons, I enjoy being outside more than ever since being treated for anxiety over a year ago. I have done some research on some of the traditions but it's either confusing, just not right for me considering my circumstances, but right now I am feeling lost with connecting to the Divine. Is it neccassary to pick a set of god/goddess to have a relationship with? I feel nothing but frustrated and baffled as to where to go. I need help with shaping my own practice because here out in the...physical world I have no one to teach me, to give me guidance, all that I ask is to keep it as simple as possible. Feel free to ask questions that I wouldn't consider as I am a newbie, or a novice pagan as I like to call myself. Thanks[/QUOTE]

I would sort of start at the basics, and see where it takes you.  How do YOU see the Divine?  What images best relate to you?  I kind of started at square one (it's been a struggle discarding the "god" I had ingrained in my head from my previous religious background) and took it from there.  I started to explore the idea of a goddess figure as well as a god, and now I have them both pretty well established in my mind.  I personally haven't felt the need to adopt a specific pantheon, and you might not have to, either, unless you feel the need to.


I think, by doing this, you'll be able to adopt a set of beliefs that feel organic and true to yourself, instead of just picking somebody else's pantheon and trying to make it fit.  Obviously, if you are involved in some specific path there will be some guidelines, but I still think you have a lot of freedom.

It sounds a little goofy, but meditation might help, too.  Open your mind up and see what comes in.

Good luck!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2008 - 5:46PM #5
tameless_heart
Posts: 2,084
I second SG....talk to the gods. They do talk back. Sometimes we're just not listening right. ;) Best of luck!

TH
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2008 - 7:26AM #6
CLHazz
Posts: 94
Thanks to you both, I did meditate yesterday and I'll go back to square one by writing down-again what I believe.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2008 - 7:41AM #7
Sacrificialgoddess
Posts: 9,496

CLHazz wrote:

Thanks to you both, I did meditate yesterday and I'll go back to square one by writing down-again what I believe.




An important, yet tedious, step!  :p

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2008 - 9:40PM #8
seventhcrow
Posts: 316
[QUOTE=CLHazz;580401] Is it neccassary to pick a set of god/goddess to have a relationship with? [/QUOTE]

Well...nope. I'll report that I have no patron deity, nor am I affiliated with any particular pantheon. It is possible to be happily Pagan without such.

I do have an interest in a particular pantheon that has arisen in the past year. Perhaps that's the machinations of a deity or two to draw me in closer. I don't know. I don't worry about it. I figure if any of the deities wishes to discuss something with me, they'll let me know when it's important to pay attention.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 27, 2008 - 4:47AM #9
lexa_blue
Posts: 327

seventhcrow wrote:

I do have an interest in a particular pantheon that has arisen in the past year. Perhaps that's the machinations of a deity or two to draw me in closer. I don't know. I don't worry about it. I figure if any of the deities wishes to discuss something with me, they'll let me know when it's important to pay attention.


Well said.

Through all of the muck that's happened in my life, both spiritually and otherwise, one thing has been clear: you are exactly where you need to be.  Keep talking to the G-ds--they are already listening, even if they're not talking yet.

Blessings,
Lexa

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 25, 2008 - 2:41AM #10
hmstrwheel
Posts: 41
Actually, I weigh in with seventhcrow on this one.  I have no personal deity or pantheon I identify with.  I feel connected to the divine when I'm out in nature hiking or by the sea.  So that's where I go when I feel lacking spiritually.  It always works for me.  You need to find what works for you, but I don't think anyone can tell you that.  I wish you the best of luck in figuring it out.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook