Switch to Forum Live View Questions about Scientology
7 years ago  ::  Jun 19, 2008 - 3:16AM #1
BeverlyHillsMiller
I was watching an interview with Tommy Davis where he debunks some of the myths and rumors about Scientology as a faith. Though he does get a little dodgy, he says most of the stuff is ludacris and that one should seek questions out for themselves. Scientology is an open religion with many churches that will gladly answer what you may ask. Well I do not even know where a church of Scientology is near me, and I am a little shy about wondering into one. However I have questions and I figured this would be the perfect place to start.

I guess my first question is what is initially involved in becoming a Scientologist?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2008 - 5:08PM #2
Gandalf_Parker
Easier than most churches.
You can join for free, and attend Sunday services for free.

But rather than place faith in prayers and miracles they are big on self-help so changes are you will be asked to do a questionair and offered their self-help courses. Personally I feel those are excellent and well worth the money but its up to you.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2008 - 12:36PM #3
BeverlyHillsMiller
See thats amazing. I am a fairly conservative person and defenitly into the self help angel. I would be interested to know what self help you are talking about specifically.

Also great that it is free. I heard rumors that it cost a considerable amount of money to go to auditing sessions and to advance in religious levels. But that was all from just gossip. I engage in critical thinking so I know that stuff isn't true, which I am glad to find out from you it isn't. I can't wait to talk to my friends who believe that nonsense. I knew a religion wouldn't charge you for therapy and enlightenment... that just doesn't make any sense!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2008 - 5:18PM #4
Gandalf_Parker
Well its not really untrue. But what people tend to be referring to are the really high levels.By comparison, most religions to become that high a level in their religion tends to have the person give up "all of their worldly goods" and live off the church. At the most extreme quotes Ive heard Scientology tends to be about the cost of a small house but it still allows more options than "give up everything and live off the church"

Most people dont go for that much scolarly learning in any religion. In Scientology most people take a few of the self-help courses then move on like I did. But the Personal Communications course is very cheap and definetly improved my life. I went from not being able to speak well with anyone, to doing lectures and demonstrations before crowds. The Better Studying course also helped me in life and probably would have helped me alot more if I were more of a workaholic (which I never have been). The detox program was a big help to friends of mine.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 10, 2008 - 1:10PM #5
helefra
[QUOTE=BeverlyHillsMiller;605937]See thats amazing. I am a fairly conservative person and defenitly into the self help angel. I would be interested to know what self help you are talking about specifically.

Also great that it is free. I heard rumors that it cost a considerable amount of money to go to auditing sessions and to advance in religious levels. But that was all from just gossip. I engage in critical thinking so I know that stuff isn't true, which I am glad to find out from you it isn't. I can't wait to talk to my friends who believe that nonsense. I knew a religion wouldn't charge you for therapy and enlightenment... that just doesn't make any sense![/QUOTE]

Hi Beverly - I have been in Scientology for over 10 years now and am fairly conversant with it's practices.  Part of what Gandalf has told you is very true.  As for the auditing (counselling) side, when someone cannot afford it, we do have counsellors in training and people will be chosen at random to have counselling for free!!!  This is what is known as the "Free Scientology Centre".  As for the counsellors who have had their training and have got to the point where they are proficient in their skill, because they are qualified, it will cost, but you can get package rates which are a good deal.  Normally the rates are in twelve and a half hour intensives and Scientology counselling is a lot cheaper than going to your usual pscyhologist, psychoanalyst or psychiatrist which have yet to give results.

As for everything else concerned with Scientology, then feel free to visit the interactive website at www.scientology.org.

I know that you asked how to become a Scientologist, the best way is to study a book or do a course and take it from there.  Most Scientologists are now doing the Basics which are all the basic books of Scientology where you follow the path of L Ron Hubbard's research into man, the mind, life and the physical universe.  However, we have a saying "Nothing in Scientology is true for you unless you have observed it yourself".  Finally, if the church is too far for you to visit, we do have extension courses which you can do at home.

I hope this helps.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook