Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
10 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2008 - 12:52AM #21
mountain_man

Marcham wrote:

Im going through a really rough time right now. I was raised Roman Catholic, but have always been against many of there teachings and also don't believe the bible is a "True" word of god. Im very lost and not sure what to think. Do I believe in god? I don't know. Half of me does the other half does not. Im very confused. I do believe there is life after death, but I believe we stay here on Earth as spirits or something. I don't know what to think. Any advice? Help Anything? What do I think. How did you settle and become happy? Would I be atheist if I didn't believe in god, but maybe an after life like I described???

My only advice is don't rush it. For some leaving a religious life is a process that can take years. You do not have to have a definite belief or stance. Sit on the fence for awhile and fall on which ever side suits you best.

Think about things instead of feel about them. Think about what happens when the body dies. Is there anything left? Where would the "energy" come from to sustain some kind of "spirit"? Think of the body as a battery. It produces an electrical current via chemical reactions. When the body dies, or the battery runs out of energy, that current is no longer being produced. It doesn't "go" anywhere, it just stops being produced.

But don't worry about it too much. Spend more of your time living life rather than worrying about what might, or might not, come later.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2008 - 10:01PM #22
HazyElf
First of all, my heart goes out to you as this is obviously very difficult, and although I'm new to this forum, I'm guessing there are many of us who have lost our religion as you are in the process of doing. I remember when I left the religion of my upbringing, I felt thrust into a black hole for awhile. If not what I've always known, then what?

There are many books that will probably help you. One of my favorites is called The Jesus Mysteries and goes into in-depth details about the origin of the Jesus story. I only mention it here because it will help you understand where the mythology of Jesus, the basis for Christianity, came from, and understanding is always good.

You will find a place to stand. We all did. It takes time and patience. You're on the road, and it may be a difficult one, but I think we'd all agree it is SO worth the journey.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2008 - 10:33AM #23
Blü
Marcham

From your description, you sound as though you're going through an emotional state about religion.

The only piece of advice that might be helpful has many forms, but most famously it's Shakespeare's line -

To thine own self be true

When you're going through a time of confusion and you don't know what you really think, that's not very helpful.  But underneath it all we all have a nature, and something solid about your own reasoning and your own feelings will emerge from the smoke.

In the meanwhile, meditation (aimed at nothing) and deep breathing may assists until the answer floats into view.  Or good nights out (or in) with your girlfriend. Or whatever works.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook