Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 3 of 8  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
9 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2008 - 1:44AM #21
bvarnell
Hi guys! Sorry I've been gone for so long without responding.

I'm young (15) and being raised by Southern Baptist,so they probably wouldn't let me convert. ANYWAY!!!!! I have been thinking about converting (like in college or some time after). The reason for this is simply..i don't know if I can believe in the Trinity (I have been called a small u-Unitarian Episcopalian!) and I have great respect and love for the Jewish faith, which Christianity sprang from (I hope no one takes this as offensive! I am in no way trying to hurt or insult anyone).  But..I do have some liberal beliefs. I believe Homosexuality is not a sin, gay and lesbians should be welcomed within their community of faith and their unions be blessed, I don't think the bible was divinely inspired (even though I believe it recounts God's history with the jews, and their beliefs about him). 

So, would I be welcomed in the Jewish faith?

Thanks
Brad
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2008 - 5:39AM #22
ioz123
bvarnell,

You need a much better reason to convert to Judaism than simply not believing in the Trinity. The majority of the earth's human beings don't believe in the Trinity. The primary reason to convert to Judaism is to join the Jewish people. It's not a matter of faith, it's a matter of PEOPLEHOOD. You have to love the Jewish people and have the uppmost sincerest desire to link your past, present and future with the Jewish people.

Your liberal beliefs would be totally fine in Reform, Conservative and Reconstructionist spheres (not so much amongst the Orthodox).
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2008 - 9:00PM #23
nieciedo
Many people make the mistake of thinking that Judaism is Christianity minus Jesus and the Trinity. Since both religions share a scriptural text, it's easy to think that if one no longer believes in the "New Testament," then one should fall back on the "Old Testament" and convert to Judaism.

However, there's been 2500 years of evolution and interpretation and living since the Torah was redacted, and Judaism is vastly different from Christianity in significant ways.

Moreover, there are plenty of other religions out there that are just as true and valid as Christianity and Judaism: one doesn't necessarily need to choose a religion that has traditionally not been particularly good for one's health or longevity.

I second Ioz's statement about peoplehood. Converting to Judaism is not adopting a new religion: it's becoming a citizen of new people. One joins the Jewish people and thereby adopts the Jewish people's religion -- and being Jewish is far more than just believing or not believing certain things.

I'm certainly not discouraging you from looking into Judaism. However, you should know what you're getting into and consider all your available options.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2008 - 9:39PM #24
bvarnell
Thanks guys...your right I shoundn't just jump in! I'll do somemore searching, I'm looking into other Groups. LIke you said niecideo, their is more than 1 true and valid religion.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2008 - 10:04PM #25
Pam34
It might be clearer to say, I believe, that there is no absolutely and completely 'true and valid' religion that does NOT have some 'not quites' mixed in - that many faiths share 'truth and validity' in varying combinations - and since each PERSON is different, there will be certain religious faiths/beliefs that are 'congruent' for some people, but not so for others.

If Judaism is 'congruent' for you, then you will discover that - or not - by continuing to learn and grow. Good luck and God bless.
Blessed are You, HaShem, Who blesses the years.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 31, 2008 - 4:26AM #26
Shlomo613
[QUOTE=bvarnell;728172]Thanks guys...your right I shoundn't just jump in! I'll do somemore searching, I'm looking into other Groups. LIke you said niecideo, their is more than 1 true and valid religion.[/QUOTE]

Whatever you do, I recommend the Noachide laws as a good foundation:

http://community.beliefnet.com/forums/f … .php?f=342
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 31, 2008 - 9:28AM #27
Bunsinspace

bvarnell wrote:

Hi guys! Sorry I've been gone for so long without responding.

I'm young (15) and being raised by Southern Baptist,so they probably wouldn't let me convert. ANYWAY!!!!! I have been thinking about converting (like in college or some time after). The reason for this is simply..i don't know if I can believe in the Trinity (I have been called a small u-Unitarian Episcopalian!) and I have great respect and love for the Jewish faith, which Christianity sprang from (I hope no one takes this as offensive! I am in no way trying to hurt or insult anyone). But..I do have some liberal beliefs. I believe Homosexuality is not a sin, gay and lesbians should be welcomed within their community of faith and their unions be blessed, I don't think the bible was divinely inspired (even though I believe it recounts God's history with the jews, and their beliefs about him).

So, would I be welcomed in the Jewish faith?

Thanks
Brad

BS"D

No you would not until you reach the age of majority and can make such a decision to divorce from the faith of your parents (NOT your parents, just their faith) and join the Jewish people forever on your own behalf. Your beliefs, apart from that notion of Jesus as god which to us is idolatry, are largely irrelevant. It is your compatibility with a Jewish community in which you convert that will be the deciding factor for you. To be a Jew is to do what Jewish people do and to live as a Jew. It is NOT merely a belief system. It is a peoplehood and a lifestyle choice.

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Sep 02, 2008 - 5:24AM #28
river8101
Here is the old Coverting to Judaism forum

http://www.beliefnet.com/boards/discuss … rdID=19732
“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Sep 02, 2008 - 5:37AM #29
river8101

Pam wrote:  A list of books by/about conversion wouldn't be quite the same as a list of books simply about 'Judaism'. But just because (because I couldn't find our old archived resources for conversion thread with all the book recommendations), I've started a thread over in the Welcome Centers area under Judaism, with a lot of book suggestions for both (general info, plus conversion specific):

Here is the archived Conversion board.

http://www.beliefnet.com/boards/discuss … rdID=19732

It's a discussion board from people who were interested in converting to Judaism.

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2009 - 11:45AM #30
nieciedo

Bevin wrote:

I was born to a Christian mother (single parent) who has recently gone a little atheist. I have always felt that I belonged with the Jewish people and in the Jewish faith. I have done more research as I have gotten older and now am looking into conversion. The only problem is I don't have my license yet (even though I am 17). Because my mom is not as believing as myself she is not taking the initiative to take me to temple so that I can continue my learning process even though I have asked her to help me many times. It's not that she doesn't support me, in fact she keeps telling me to do my "homework" before I commit myself to a new belief system. I am not saying that it is her responsibility to take care of my religious life and I realize that I have to get my license. I kind of stopped asking because I felt like I was starting to bug her.

Is it wrong of me to ask her to take me to something that will help me spiritually?

If so then I will back off and wait until I can do this on my own. If not then how do I approach her? I could really use some help. Thank you.

It's not wrong to ask, but she;s also not wrong to refuse. Just ask her again and explain to her why you want to do this (it would be a good idea for you to do some soul-searching and introspection to be able to answer that question for yourself). If she still declines to drive you but does not outright forbid you to go, then explore other options. Is there anyone else who can give you a ride? Can you take a bus?

If it's just not possible for you to go to a synagogue now, then bide your time till it is possible. There is no rush or hurry.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 8  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook