6 years ago  ::  Jun 06, 2008 - 10:58PM #1
bvarnell
Has anyone here converted to Judaism?

Why did you?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 06, 2008 - 11:54PM #2
Pam34
Several who post here regularly did. Why do you ask? If you are interested in personal accounts, I can give you a list of books to read (autobiographical ones).
Blessed are You, HaShem, Who blesses the years.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2008 - 3:04PM #3
bvarnell
A list of Books would be GREAT!

Thanks!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2008 - 9:49PM #4
Pam34
go HERE:

http://www.beliefnet.com/boards/message … er_page=12
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2008 - 9:57PM #5
Pam34
assuming it works properly, that should take you to the 'old' boards and the discussion thread for resources for converts - lots of book recommendations and various links.

As for 'accounts of conversion', my favorite is 'LOVESONG' by Julius Lester
some other good ones are
'PILGRIMAGE OF A PROSELYTE'
'GATHERED STONES'
'ORDAINED TO BE A JEW'

There's more, but those will get you started.
for a good book about 'what being Jewish is LIKE', there are two very good ones:
To Be a Jew, by Herman Wouk
and
To Life! by Harold Kushner

basic judaism books:
Basic Judaism, by Milton Steinberg is good, though a bit dated.
Judaism for Dummies and
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Judaism are both quite good.

Rabbi Telushkin has many books  - massive ones - about Judaism - Jewish Literacy is a very good reference.

Just to get you started.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2008 - 8:32AM #6
mlarue75
[QUOTE=bvarnell;548856]Has anyone here converted to Judaism?

Why did you?[/QUOTE]Hi, welcome back.  I remember you were here before, but not any details.

Quite a few of us are converts.  I did the whole Christianity thing -- preacher's kid and grandkid, seminary, some graduate school -- trying to fit in and never believing that Jesus was God or son of God.  Well OK, I did for two weeks in 1979. 

When I was 15 I met a real Jew.  My friend asked about communion and I told her what it was about.  ICK! she said, and I could see what she meant.  Cannibalism?  ICK!  She took me to Kol Nidre and I fell in love with the music and the language and was fascinated by the people I saw around me. They were praying in a way I'd neve seen, but with such intensity!

In my later studies I determined that from the NT at least, Christianity has always been opposed to Judaism.  I studied Judaism and almost converted then, but gave Christianity one last try.  One Easter as I was singing in the choir I realized I couldn't go on with it and I wouldn't be back.   I contacted a rabbi and began the conversion process.  I never had a doubt or a regret.  I'm happy to have found my spiritual home.

In my liberal Christian upbringing I learned that Judaism is a sad, sombre, and impossibly difficult relgion,  This is total nonsense.  Judaism is full of joy, learning, and lots of food.:p  I think if people knew what Judaism is like, more would convert.  One thing I like (among many) is that in general, Jews value education more than Christians.  It makes Torah study fascinating because many people have studied beyond early adolescence, where most Christian education ends. 

I take it you're considering conversion.  Books are wonderful but nothing beats talking to people  and going to services.  I hope you're speaking with a rabbi.  Don't worry about being pressured; they'll probably slow you down.  They want to make sure you know what you're doing before taking this momentous step.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2008 - 10:36AM #7
mlarue75
[QUOTE=mlarue75;550474]I take it you're considering conversion.  [/QUOTE]

I just looked at your profile and then your history and see that you're asking everyone the same question.  This is fascinating.  Are you writing a book or a paper?  If not, you might consider it.  It would be fascinating reading.  You'll know so much when you're done.

Not that you asked, and knowing that free advice is worth what you pay for it:  Unless you're strongly drawn to another tradition or very unhappy where you are, I think you'd do best to stay with the Episcopalians.  That's what I was before I converted.  Good folks there.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2008 - 10:36AM #8
mlarue75
[QUOTE=mlarue75;550474]I take it you're considering conversion.  [/QUOTE]

I just looked at your profile and then your history and see that you're asking everyone the same question.  This is fascinating.  Are you writing a book or a paper?  If not, you might consider it.  It would be fascinating reading.  You'll know so much when you're done.

Not that you asked, and knowing that free advice is worth what you pay for it:  Unless you're strongly drawn to another tradition or very unhappy where you are, I think you'd do best to stay with the Episcopalians.  That's what I was before I converted.  Good folks there.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2008 - 5:04PM #9
bvarnell
lol! I love Religions and studying Religion and so when i get on kicks with a particular religion i often ask alot of questions! But, in all seriousness, Judaism is SO interesting to me, after all its like Christianities Parent!  Maybe ill convert maybe i wont idk, but i love studying Judaism so....
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2008 - 5:53PM #10
mlarue75
[QUOTE=bvarnell;551146]lol! I love Religions and studying Religion and so when i get on kicks with a particular religion i often ask alot of questions! But, in all seriousness, Judaism is SO interesting to me, after all its like Christianities Parent!  Maybe ill convert maybe i wont idk, but i love studying Judaism so....[/QUOTE]

Hey, no problem!  You ask very good questions. 

I didn't start to convert till I was 50 -- I think you have plenty of time.;)
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook