Switch to Forum Live View Buddhist Beliefs and How to become one
7 years ago  ::  May 14, 2008 - 7:36PM #1
livingaith
just began researching more about Buddhism. I am really attracted to it. I am from a very Catholic family, so I can't buy books on Buddhism or check them out from the library.

I want to be a Tibetin Buddhist.
I am wondering what are their basic beliefs?
How are they different from the rest?
Is there a specific initiation ceremony to undergo in order to become one?
Can I become a Buddhist Monk?
How?
What do Monks do?
Is there an afterlife? If so, how do we get there?
What is some good online reading?
How do you decide Buddhism is right for you?

Thank you a lot. Sorry about all the questions.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 15, 2008 - 12:01AM #2
Dharmascribe
You can find much information and many answers at the Lama Yeshe Wisdom Archive.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 16, 2008 - 12:29AM #3
ronnewmexico
To add to Dharmas excellent advice, my advice is....

Stay with the religion of your birth and culture. Much good may be found in the catholic religion.
Come only to Tibetan Buddhism if you find no possibility of compassionate action through your Christian belief. If it absolutely makes no sense, and it actually may be hindering your possibility for compassionate action. Till then stay with it.

That's my advice.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 16, 2008 - 12:29AM #4
ronnewmexico
To add to Dharmas excellent advice, my advice is....

Stay with the religion of your birth and culture. Much good may be found in the catholic religion.
Come only to Tibetan Buddhism if you find no possibility of compassionate action through your Christian belief. If it absolutely makes no sense, and it actually may be hindering your possibility for compassionate action. Till then stay with it.

That's my advice.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 18, 2008 - 9:07PM #5
ronnewmexico
This board can be quite comedy and may be a waste of time quite often.

Check LF's other postings, (I'm guessing he did not know it can be easily accessed by clicking on his name), and within about 1 hours time he wants to become not only a Buddhist, but  a Tibetan  Budddhist, a jew, and a priest of the Roman Catholic faith, to mention not all. Goes on in one post to quote the Hail Mary and various other things to express his catholic faith  Quite a amuseing read.

Since this is a personal note I assume in the interest of protecting the sanctity of the site my note here will be summarily removed by one of the monitors.

A comedy. One of his posts  includes  his stated email address which is not surpriseingly in part.....mindgames.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 21, 2008 - 3:43PM #6
Jalus
ronne , I'm borrowing this information info.   J.  ^I^

My post is not directed at anyone, simply, Just food For Thought. ^I^

"His ...email address.... in part.....mindgames."

Yes, but only on himself. The sadness of this can only evoke compassion.

Every person we come into contact with has only one purpose:
To show you different sides of yourself. They are mirrors, to see parts of ourselves that only a mirror can show us. They're designed to look *within* and see more than we thought.

Encounters are simply a mirror to see a greater version of yourself.

Footnote:
Or s/he may be Young and Dumb...then I have Compassion And Empathy.^I^
"Never forget the earth longs to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair."  Kahlil Gibran
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 21, 2008 - 8:46PM #7
ronnewmexico
"Every person we come into contact with has only one purpose:
To show you different sides of yourself. They are mirrors, to see parts of ourselves that only a mirror can show us. They're designed to look *within* and see more than we thought."

That is certainly  your opinion and you are welcome to it, it certainly is not mine. That by my view is the ultimate victims mentatality, those who enable others to do wrong to them by considereing themselve the cause or fault of the wrong done.It may be true sometimes more often it is not.

The Buddha was not a passive person. He planted his Munja and stood his ground, as one of his warrior cast would do. It is no accident he was born to warrior cast not priest or Brahamin.

Posters are responding honestly taking their time and effort to respond to these various posts. That the questioner is not speaking honestly is beyond consideration. That is not a good thing. Cerrtainly all are deserving of compassion that is beyond question. Tthat does not infer that all actions of wrong that occur are our reflection, nor have I stated that such a person has been or should be treated without compassion.

I however will not enable such conduct. I will call it exactly as I see it...wrong.
You do as you see fit. . 

You can keep that opinion to yourself. These people are people not purposes. I treat them as such. Conventionally they exist. Conventionally they may do right and wrong. This action is wrong. I call it so, that is not uncompassionate action. It is the truth.

Sad, sure it's sad.  To take such people as not real and simply mirrors is sadder still.

All these poor posters taking this nonsense(these fake posts) as real and putting their time and effort into real responses.....that is sadder still than even that..

Being compassionate in my book does not mean not calling a apple a apple nor a orange a orange. This is wrong. I call it such, you call it what you want. It is of no concern to me.

This all to my limited understanding.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 21, 2008 - 9:01PM #8
ronnewmexico
And about half those threads are on teen sites. Geeze Louise it doesn't get much better than that.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 21, 2008 - 9:35PM #9
Jalus
QUOTE=ronnewmexico;

"That is certainly  your opinion and you are welcome to it,
You do as you see fit. . 
you call it what you want. It is of no concern to me".

I did, as did you. Now it no longer exists
Namaste
"Never forget the earth longs to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair."  Kahlil Gibran
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook