Switch to Forum Live View New here, and a question as well
7 years ago  ::  May 06, 2008 - 6:21AM #1
BearHeart
Hello everyone! Ive been around beliefnet for several years, but for some odd reason never officially joined. Ah well, such is life.

I was wondering if anyone on these boards might be able to help me with something as well...

Im fairly empathic, to the point where too many unrestrained emotions of those around me will begin to affect me. Its not something that ever bothered me before going to a large college, indeed i view it as a wonderful gift. The problem is, now im surrounded by hundreds and hundreds of people each day and i cant block that many people out all day. The real issue comes when i am too tired to adequately expend focus on gently diverting unrestrained feelings, and when those around me are too tired or otherwise impaired to keep from broadcasting themselves. The "simple" solution that i used to turn to is an alternative i dont care for, which is to shut everything out. i did that for a long while, but then subsequently developed acute insomnia and was on the verge of depression. i've been trying to take different approaches, but as of yet nothing has really "done the trick" as it were.

i guess that would mean my question is, are there any other empaths here that have had to deal with trying to block people? or anyone with any type of advice or suggestions at all?

cheers, :) <3
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 06, 2008 - 8:03AM #2
Karma_yeshe_dorje
G'day BearHeart:

[QUOTE]Ive been around beliefnet for several years, but for some odd reason never officially joined.[/QUOTE]You have a shy disposition.

[QUOTE]empathic[/QUOTE]I am the exact opposite!

[QUOTE]too many unrestrained emotions of those around me will begin to affect me.[/QUOTE]Jangling.

[QUOTE]going to a large college[/QUOTE]You have learned that large institutions are stressful!

[QUOTE]im surrounded by hundreds and hundreds of people[/QUOTE]Go check out the counsellor!

[QUOTE]i cant block that many people out[/QUOTE]I wore light industrial ear defenders at my desk in an open-plan office!

[QUOTE]when i am too tired[/QUOTE]Then quit!

[QUOTE]gently diverting unrestrained feelings[/QUOTE]I don't bother (being gentle).

[QUOTE]those around me are too tired or otherwise impaired to keep from broadcasting[/QUOTE]I know a guy who wears dark glasses indoors!

[QUOTE]shut everything out[/QUOTE]The rich live away from the throng.

[QUOTE]developed acute insomnia and was on the verge of depression[/QUOTE]Please visit the Spirituality & Mental Health forum.

[QUOTE]nothing has really "done the trick"[/QUOTE]Consult a physician, and disclose your emotional and behavioural symptoms.

[QUOTE]empaths here that have had to deal with trying to block people[/QUOTE]You have chosen to regularly attend a crowded establishment.

[QUOTE]advice or suggestions[/QUOTE]Take a course on:
• psychology; or
• occupational health & safety.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 06, 2008 - 9:06AM #3
Feinics
Firstly I suggest you work on gettin yerself as happy in yerself as possible because I know that if a person is feeling depressed in someway they are going to feel vulnerable and oversensitive, empath or not.

I can relate to wat you mention and i find shielding does the trick,
there is a good thread on shielding techniques Here

best of luck with it!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 06, 2008 - 9:14AM #4
Gandalf_Parker
Seek out quiet time. When I was in school it was the practice rooms in the music department. Tiny soundproofed rooms that got really dark when the lights were turned out. And the people in the area tended to be internalized and focused. Not alot of emotional noise.

For me its just the reverse. Im too shut-in with too few emotional sources. I have email alerts letting me know of local gatherings so I can make extra effort to go and recharge my empathic batteries.

Gandalf  Parker
--
Excuse me... but could you spare a little emotion for a starving empath?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 06, 2008 - 9:23AM #5
Feinics
[QUOTE=Gandalf_Parker;480927]--
Excuse me... but could you spare a little emotion for a starving empath?[/QUOTE]

hehehhe i like that GP :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 06, 2008 - 9:32AM #6
Sacrificialgoddess

BearHeart wrote:

Hello everyone! Ive been around beliefnet for several years, but for some odd reason never officially joined. Ah well, such is life.

I was wondering if anyone on these boards might be able to help me with something as well...

Im fairly empathic, to the point where too many unrestrained emotions of those around me will begin to affect me. Its not something that ever bothered me before going to a large college, indeed i view it as a wonderful gift. The problem is, now im surrounded by hundreds and hundreds of people each day and i cant block that many people out all day. The real issue comes when i am too tired to adequately expend focus on gently diverting unrestrained feelings, and when those around me are too tired or otherwise impaired to keep from broadcasting themselves. The "simple" solution that i used to turn to is an alternative i dont care for, which is to shut everything out. i did that for a long while, but then subsequently developed acute insomnia and was on the verge of depression. i've been trying to take different approaches, but as of yet nothing has really "done the trick" as it were.

i guess that would mean my question is, are there any other empaths here that have had to deal with trying to block people? or anyone with any type of advice or suggestions at all?

cheers, :) <3

1.  Eat.  Don't skip meals.  The less energy you have, the harder it is to block them.
2.  Get plenty of sleep.  See above.
3.  You do know how to ground and center, don't you?  If not email me, and I'll help get you set up.  You may have to ground and center several times a day to block out what you don't want to get though and the same time let through what you want.  Make sense?  :)

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 07, 2008 - 8:14AM #7
CreakyHedgewitch
[QUOTE=BearHeart;480751]Hello everyone! Ive been around beliefnet for several years, but for some odd reason never officially joined. Ah well, such is life.

cheers, :) <3[/QUOTE]
I have a similar issue though not quite the same. For me, it is the mental auras of others that can be intrusive, this being the outermost auric layer of the three that also tends to be the largest. My own mental aura has been measured to almost twenty feet wide so I get a lot of traffic through it from others, physically and aurically. (I live in a large city and move around in congested areas typically). I can sense the colors and textures of the emotional aura (typically 2-3 wide) though not actually see the aura itself. 

I have learned to cope by shielding myself. My shield is a flexible mirror-like membrane between the second and third auric layers. People still move through my outermost layer but their impact now typically bounces off the shield. I can thin the shield if needed or even strengthen it in crowds or sitting in a meeting room (where the auras all overlap) but mostly I leave the shield on autopilot. A shield is normally created starting with visualization. I started with visualizing my shield for a minute and then working up to longer periods, then doing so in every day life. Eventually it became so normal having it up that I could go to autopilot.

Your simple solution I suspect has had the effect of shutting down your emotions rather than shutting everyone else out. Given that you have a strong empathic gift, this has only complicated the issue, hence the side-effects you described. When we dream at night (IMO) our mind casts up random flashes of memory and our resting conscious mind seems to use emotional linkages to build images to make sense of those flashes drawn from the brain’s memory banks (of conscious and unconscious experiences). If you are hampering your emotions, then you may be short-circuiting the dream process. Or there could be other reasons for insomnia including medical, which you might want to check out with a medical practitioner.

Hope something is helpful,

C.H.
No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 08, 2008 - 3:15AM #8
BearHeart
I havent shut everything out in over a year - it was about this time last year i developed the insomnia, and after leaving the densely populated city and going back home to the suburbs, it only took about a month to fully recover sleeping patterns. Its not just feeling others emotions, although its not always present. Its somewhat difficult to describe...
I'll give it a go, though.

If i am around people that are not in good control of their emotions (emotional disorders are the worst, but its usually those who are experiencing an overabundance of one emotion or another) and i get too close to them, i experience it in a range from vicarious to first hand. It can be a direct translation of that emotion or manifest in a related way such as pain (i feel more content around overly happy people, and my physical aches can be amplified around those who are very stressed)

Growing up that wasnt much of an issue because i wasnt around enough people for it to be a problem to divert what i was feeling (Im currently at a college of 36,000+ students, and my smallest class is that of 60 people. My largest class is 520 people). Its at its worst right now at the end of the semester because of finals week, and everyone is feeling some level of stress. generally, i can disperse the unsolicited emotions of those that come in contact with me only in passing. In a crowded classroom situation, the emotional noise can be so deafening that i lose myself. I get that sort of sudden awakening amnesia and a throbbing headache.

ive been reading the thread on grounding and shielding and finding it somewhat helpful. Im used to manifesting energy within or around myself in different matters, usually associated with a symbol of some sort. Most of these i have found in dreams or been taught my others whom i trust. The ultimate test is next week - final exams! nerves definitely run high then...

thanks all for your help! i'll let you know how it goes.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 8:24AM #9
Karma_yeshe_dorje
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook