6 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2008 - 1:33PM #1
dragonnkitten
As Pantheists, do you celebrate any holidays?

-DK
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2008 - 8:09AM #2
river8101
I was a member of a pantheist group for over 20 years.  Most of that time, the group met at my house, and we also had a nice big circle outside. Yes, we had festivals 8 times a year when the seasons changed.   Similar to neo-paganism, but without belief in any gods and goddesses, etc.    In the beginning we met as neo-pagans, but gradually, and without our really noticing it we realized we were not neo-pagans at all but pantheists.     We never worshiped any deities, nor did we worship nature.   We just tried to connect to it with music and dance and celebration, as we are all a part of it.
“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 15, 2008 - 7:06PM #3
mainecaptain

river8101 wrote:

I was a member of a pantheist group for over 20 years.  Most of that time, the group met at my house, and we also had a nice big circle outside. Yes, we had festivals 8 times a year when the seasons changed.   Similar to neo-paganism, but without belief in any gods and goddesses, etc.    In the beginning we met as neo-pagans, but gradually, and without our really noticing it we realized we were not neo-pagans at all but pantheists.     We never worshiped any deities, nor did we worship nature.   We just tried to connect to it with music and dance and celebration, as we are all a part of it.

That is really nice, sounds like a nice way to honour life in general.:)

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2008 - 4:07PM #4
river8101
I don't think nature wants or needs to be worshiped.  She does need, however, to be cared for and that includes animals and their habitat, forests, the air, the water and of course Mother earth.   We made up lots of songs about those ideas.  At the Winter Solstice we bought an evergreen tree and planted it at the Spring Equinox.   Each year someone would carve a sun ship and take it around, as we all lit a candle from it.   Then at the Summer Solstice, we burned the ship and threw parchments on a big bonfire.  The parchments had writings on it of things we needed to leave behind.

At the Autumn Equinox we used balance scales and sang a rune for balance our lives.  Using various items that represented the 4 elements, we'd use air, for our mind,  & we'd burned incense, for fire, energy, we'd use a little votive candle, for water, our emotions, we'd use sea shells, and for the earth, stability, we'd use acorns, or earth.  Then we'd try to balance the scales for what we needed the most, as we sang a llittle rune.   Often we had several scales for it could take a while for each person to balance the scale for what they needed most.   So if some people felt too emotional, they might balance the scale with more stability or earth.   Worked out well!
“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook