7 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2008 - 6:48AM #1
ProfessorGoatPellets
Hey Falun Gong people!

Hope all is well with you folks.

Do you have any spectaculars lined up for the Beijing Olympics?

I hope so - you've all been a bit quiet on the protest front so far ...

Goat
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 11, 2008 - 4:29AM #2
ProfessorGoatPellets
Come on FG - if you aren't careful you'll be upstaged by the Tibetans, the Animal Rights people, the Tukestan Muslims, the Inner Mongolians, the Human Rights activists, etc, etc ...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2008 - 7:25PM #3
noahm
I'm sure there are many practitioners who disagree with the decision to award Beijing the olympics, Falun Gong as a group has no position on the olympics themselves.  Any protests are non-violent and specifically targetting the CCP and its continual brutal repression, torture, murder etc. of practitioners.  I am sure you will see a presence around the olympics,  because it is a good venue for people to learn the truth of the Chinese government's (not chinese people), behavior while it is under the international spotlight.  There will be no violent or otherwise harmful demonstrations whatsoever as has always been the case.  If everyone learns the facts, the persecution will end and so will the 'protests'.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 06, 2008 - 2:49AM #4
ProfessorGoatPellets
[QUOTE=noahm;622662]I'm sure there are many practitioners who disagree with the decision to award Beijing the olympics, Falun Gong as a group has no position on the olympics themselves.  Any protests are non-violent and specifically targetting the CCP and its continual brutal repression, torture, murder etc. of practitioners.  I am sure you will see a presence around the olympics,  because it is a good venue for people to learn the truth of the Chinese government's (not chinese people), behavior while it is under the international spotlight.  There will be no violent or otherwise harmful demonstrations whatsoever as has always been the case.  If everyone learns the facts, the persecution will end and so will the 'protests'.[/QUOTE]

Aye - but the average Chinese citizen is still a long way from learning the truth.

I remember staying in a Beijing hotel and at reception there was, in huge golden letters - 'Falun Gong members are NOT welcome here' ...

Goat
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 25, 2008 - 9:58PM #5
ProfessorGoatPellets
So what happened then?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2008 - 4:01PM #6
noahm
Apparently people are interested in finding out.  I found this article.

Another Olympics Gold Medalist: Banned Chinese Sect Falun Gong
Michael Learmonth | August 25, 2008 7:00 AM
One of China's biggest fears going into the Olympics was that the event would give a bigger megaphone to banned groups, such as the Free Tibet movement and the Falun Gong religious sect.

China appears to have done a thorough job of suppressing overt protests -- and even restricted access to Web sites for visiting journalists -- but it appears Falun Gong has managed to use the newfound focus on China to their advantage.

The group had 13 videos among the top 100 most-viewed during the first week of the Beijing Olympics, netting 3.5 million views. And it had four videos among the top 100 the following week, netting 1 million views. That's according to TubeMogul, which tracks video views across 20 sites, including YouTube, Revver, Dailymotion and Metacafe.

It's the first time Falun Gong has any video in the top 100 since TubeMogul started keeping track in 2006, and until opening day of the Olympics Falun Gong videos had netted a mere 95,000 views.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2008 - 4:01PM #7
noahm
Apparently people are interested in finding out.  I found this article.

Another Olympics Gold Medalist: Banned Chinese Sect Falun Gong
Michael Learmonth | August 25, 2008 7:00 AM
One of China's biggest fears going into the Olympics was that the event would give a bigger megaphone to banned groups, such as the Free Tibet movement and the Falun Gong religious sect.

China appears to have done a thorough job of suppressing overt protests -- and even restricted access to Web sites for visiting journalists -- but it appears Falun Gong has managed to use the newfound focus on China to their advantage.

The group had 13 videos among the top 100 most-viewed during the first week of the Beijing Olympics, netting 3.5 million views. And it had four videos among the top 100 the following week, netting 1 million views. That's according to TubeMogul, which tracks video views across 20 sites, including YouTube, Revver, Dailymotion and Metacafe.

It's the first time Falun Gong has any video in the top 100 since TubeMogul started keeping track in 2006, and until opening day of the Olympics Falun Gong videos had netted a mere 95,000 views.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook