7 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2008 - 3:16PM #1
Anesis
Genesis tells us that both male and female were created in God's image. The prophets and gospels tell us that Jesus was (is) a Man. Does God really have the male 'gender' or is he without gender? Why is he referred to as male (as in he and him)?

And is Satan a he? Do the angels have gender? Why is he referred to as he?

Is it possible that the antichrist of the book of Revelation may be a female?
An
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2008 - 10:21AM #2
Leight
...I suppose therein are "answers", but as a side issue, I'll never forget of how when I was in the Spirit, and of how I "was" a mother trying to quard her child from flaming darts, and of how I dispaired knowing that not even my body over my child would protect my child...the love was so rich and taken into such hoplessness....and God came in a Wind........anyway, i know that there is no hyperbole in the Body of Christ, being a bride.........and for me a man, to relize the beautiful weakness that a woman truly is, and not only that but to interact such a thought with the ahh seemingly superioity of the male form over the female....but a God allowed appreciation of what a woman is, for God created what is woman, and for the time He allowed me in the Spirit communion with what a womens heart is, it was very, very pleasant.....there are so many divine mysteries, and I remember years ago hearing someone say that a root meaning of one of Gods Names was the "breasty" one.....
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2008 - 1:29PM #3
withfearandtrembling
God is referred to as "he"  because the English language does not happen to have a gender nuetral pronoun for the human person, and God cannot be reduced to an impersonal "it.."

The Hebrew Bible sometimes use names to describe God that are feminine. These do not translate with genders, because English does not have gender-specific nouns as do other languages.

The Bible also sometimes uses feminime imagery to describe God (such as a hen longing to gather her chickens under her wings.)

God is without gender, but he was incarnated as a man on earth with gender.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2008 - 5:45PM #4
nancyflorencecarlson
The actual higher power I would think would have no gender but the christian god seems like it was just a deity like any other that got confused with the actual higher power if he is responsible for are creation though he would have needed to have a female counterpart because no male no matter how almighty god can create life without the assistance of a female.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2008 - 4:16PM #5
POC777
Anesis 
Level 8
Level 8   Join Date: Oct 2007

Genesis tells us that both male and female were created in God's image. The prophets and gospels tell us that Jesus was (is) a Man.

Does God really have the male 'gender' or is he without gender?

My reply:

Through out the Bible, God is described as a He, never a she or an it. While people do refer Him as a she or an it, the Bible does not teach that. There are many verses in the Bible that describe Him as masculine and not femine. In John 4:24 we read that God does not have a body like we do. He is without gender! If you notice in the Gospels, Jesus repeatly says "He".

This is just to show you God is a He and not a she or an it.

Why is he referred to as male (as in he and him)?

Your question has been answered above!

And is Satan a he?

Yes, because Jesus in John 8:44 calls a 'he'.

Do the angels have gender?

The Bible describes as male!

My reply:

In the Bible, there are angels described as males. In Gen 19, Abraham meets three male angels, the angel of the LORD is described as a male, in the book of Daniel, Michael the archangel, the miliatary leader of angels, is a male and in the Gospels when Gabriel appears to Joesph in a dream, he is describe as a male.

Why is he referred to as he?

My reply:

That's what the Bible teaches!

Is it possible that the antichrist of the book of Revelation may be a female?

My reply:

No, because the Antichrist is described as "the son of perdition" and not "daughter of perdition".

Hope that helps any more questions, feel free to ask!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2008 - 5:22PM #6
Unitedbygrace
Hi An,

Jesus Christ is man at His incarnation.  He was born a male.  Yes, He is God (hypostatic union) but the human aspect of Him is male.

Apart from that, the Bible says God is Spirit.  He does not have a phsyical body.

Angels are masuline beings; there are many examples in the Bible. Additionally, I believe because they are all masculine, this is the reason there is no marrying allowed amongst them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 01, 2008 - 2:00AM #7
birwin4
I really do not think there is any evidence suggesting that there is any gender specific references to God or angels. In each case the scriptures use the male as a generic term.
God is sexless as are the angels. Jesus implies this when he talks about the Saducees question of the woman who married a number of  brothers when they asked whose wife would she be in the resurrection. We will be like the angels where marriage is not part of their creation. On the other hand I think it is wrong to imagine heaven will be just a bunch of perpetual negatives: no sex. no movement, no food, no drink, no mirth, no time, no art. How far the life of resurrected humanity will be sensory we do not know. But I surmise that heaven will be different from the sensory life we know here, not as emptiness differs from water but as a flower differs from a bulb
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 06, 2008 - 3:39PM #8
Liora53
I think angels can appear to us as male or female although they have no gender.

I've heard the Shekinah glory is the female aspect of God.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook