Switch to Forum Live View Mantra list and translations
6 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2008 - 8:27PM #1
witfulone77
I was wondering if there is a good site online that offers buddhist mantras and their closest or an attempted english translation?  English pronunciation would be an added bonus but I can do without.  I thought I found a site once but now it is not to be found.  Any help you can give would be helpful, thank you.

Aaron
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 23, 2008 - 10:25AM #2
Bhakta_glenn
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2008 - 9:14AM #3
Gerald_ford
Hi Witfulone77,

Mantras are something you should only obtain from a teacher in person in person, and after receiving the proper initiations to that Buddhist group.  The reason is is that mantras by themselves aren't really useful until you've learned the proper ritual, visualization and hand gestures (mudra) to go with it.  If you have an opportunity to study under a teacher of Vajrayana, he or she will guide you through that stuff, find what's suitable for you, and you grow and grow from the result.  :)

Good luck!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2008 - 7:51PM #4
Mazurka
The only mantra you really need is Om Mani Padme Hum. Start with that and then let it help you create, through self-arising visualizations, your own mantras and mudras. When you rely on the mantras and mudras other people have developed for themselves and passed along to you you get their preferences of mind (via their personal visualizations which are a private matter between a person and their universal understanding) along with those words and gestures. You will have a hard time understanding the nature of mind if you focus in on just one mind at the beginning and that one mind is not your own. Om Mani Padme Hum contains Emptiness (you can read about a lot of other stuff it supposedly represents but that just means it helps you develop your own mantras and mudras). What is suitable for you is to start where you are and then go where you are not.  Just think, the person who is giving you visualizations, mantras and mudras may be a lot less developed than you in universal terms so you would then be working backwards from where you are. Into the lower realms, as it were. Say, if that person had not yet come to understand their own mind and got THEIR visualizations, mantras and mudras from an even less informed person who had lived previously but somehow knew better. And we wonder why Buddhism can't consider science part of the universe or universal good. Advancement and attainment come from many directions. Find the best direction for you by starting exactly where you are and proceeding with yourself to exactly where you will be. Now that's beneficial.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2008 - 6:40AM #5
spr152
Hi everyone. 

I actually have a question about how mantras work since we are on the topic.  I was given a mantra by a Lama -Om ah hri Sinhanada Hung Phet- which is the mantra of Sinhanada Avalokitsehvara.  I just don't understand all the details in how they work.  I understand that they can protect the mind, but can they actually purify negative imprints and karma. What other benefits do they bring .  Any details on mantras would be greatly appreciated.  I understand a little but every little bit helps.

Thanks in advance.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2008 - 6:57AM #6
Bearsky
From the article "Mantras" in Wikipedia:

"Some other mantras in Tibetan Buddhism
The following list of mantras is from Kailash - Journal of Himalayan Studies, Volume 1, Number 2, 1973. (pp. 168-169) (augmented by other contributors). It also includes renderings of Om mani padme hum.

Please note that the word swaha is sometimes shown as svaha, and is usually pronounced as 'so-ha' by Tibetans. Spellings tend to vary in the transliterations to English, for example, hum and hung are generally the same word. The mantras used in Tibetan Buddhist practice are in Sanskrit, to preserve the original mantras. Visualizations and other practices are usually done in the Tibetan language.

Om wagishwari hum This is the mantra of the Mahabodhisattva Manjusri, Tibetan: Jampelyang (Wylie "'jam dpal dbyangs")... The Buddha in his wisdom aspect.

Om mani padme hum The mantra of Avalokitesvara, Mahabodhisattva, the Buddha in his compassion aspect.

Om vajrapani hum The mantra of the Buddha as Protector of the Secret Teachings. ie: as the Mahabodhisattva Channa Dorje (Vajrapani).

om vajrasattva hum The short mantra for Vajrasattva, there is also a full 100-syllable mantra for Vajrasattva.

Om ah hum vajra guru padma siddhi hum The mantra of the Vajraguru Guru Padma Sambhava who established Mahayana Buddhism and Tantra in Tibet.

Om tare tuttare ture svaha The mantra of Jetsun Dolma or Tara, the Mother of the Buddhas
Om tare tuttare ture mama ayurjnana punye pushting svaha The mantra of Dölkar or White Tara, the emanation of Tara representing long life and health.

Om amarani jiwantiye svaha The mantra of the Buddha of limitless life: the Buddha Amitayus (Tibetan Tsépagmed) in celestial form.

Om dhrum svaha The purification mantra of the mother Namgyalma.

Om ami dhewa hri The mantra of the Buddha Amitabha (Hopagmed) of the Western Pureland, his skin the colour of the setting sun.

Om ah ra pa tsa na dhih The mantra of the "sweet-voiced one", Jampelyang (Wylie "'jam dpal dbyangs") or Manjusri, the Bodhisattva of wisdom.

Hung vajra phat The mantra of the Mahabodhisattva Vajrapani in his angry (Dragpo) form.

Om muni muni maha muniye sakyamuni swaha The mantra of Buddha Sakyamuni, the historical Buddha

Om gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha The mantra of the Heart of the Perfection of Wisdom Sutra (Heart Sutra)

Om maitri maitreya maha karuna ye The Maitri mantra, the seed mantra of Maitreya.

Namo bhagavate Bhaishajya-guru vaidurya-praba-rajaya tathagataya arthate samyak-sambuddhaya tadyata OM bhaishajye bhaishajye bhaishajya-samudgate svaha The mantra of the 'Medicine Buddha', from Chinese translations of the Master of Healing Sutra.

Om ami dewa hri The mantra of Amitabha (Ompagme in Tibetan). "
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 26, 2009 - 3:49PM #7
Jayarava

My website visiblemantra.org provides the text of mantras in Sanskrit in various scripts (Usually at least Siddhaṃ and Tibetan (dbu-can). I offer translations where this is possible. I cover most of the common Buddhist mantras, though I'm open to requests.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 27, 2010 - 11:12AM #8
sebananda

mantra of Yeshe Tsogyel and INDRA please. Blessings.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook