Page 10 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
6 years ago  ::  Dec 06, 2008 - 9:24PM #91
Vergilisvaticanus
[QUOTE=BillThinks4Himself;938455]Today, I was showing a video to a group of seventh-graders.  It was an episode from the TV show, "Cities of the Underworld."  It discussed the ruins of the Mayans in Belize.  It went to great length about Mayan atrocities, taking an axe to the traditional view that the Mayans were PreColumbian Greeks to the Aztec Romans.

It spoke at length about new discovers at a place called - I kid you not - Lamani.[/QUOTE]

I have been to Lamani, the Mayan meaning means sunken crocodile.  Now crocodiles are not the norm in Jerusalem.  Phonetic coincidence is a dangerous practice in history.  Whether it be people attempting to place the Book of Mormon in a certain geography or that all Lamanites were/are American indians.  The realms of faith are not equal to the realms of history, just as it should be.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2008 - 2:59PM #92
moksha8088

Lonesentinel wrote:

As to 'cult of personality'... I use the term as how I understand it, which is to mean that a popular public figure can develop a following and those who aren't so bright in this following, IMHO, may idolize the person to the point that all dissenting viewpoints to the public figure's idea are demonized by those particular followers.

Sort of like the followers of two ditzy teenage stars who side with their teen star when they are feuding against the other teen star. That can even get down to who's rehab clinic is the best.

I think all charismatic leaders whether religious or not, have followings. Goes with the territory. I have never worried about that in our Church, but I have at times wondered out loud about the danger of developing a Cult of Obedience, that legalizes all things spiritual and brooks no deviation from the group's narrow interpretation of how things should be done. I think we should all keep our eyes out for that one - for the good of the Church.

PS.  If the followers of Dr. Daniel C. Peterson where to get together, they would sure consume a lot of donuts.

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2008 - 5:54PM #93
ProfitOfGod
[QUOTE=moksha8088;941671]Sort of like the followers of two ditzy teenage stars who side with their teen star when they are feuding against the other teen star. That can even get down to who's rehab clinic is the best.

I think all charismatic leaders whether religious or not, have followings. Goes with the territory. I have never worried about that in our Church, but I have at times wondered out loud about the danger of developing a Cult of Obedience, that legalizes all things spiritual and brooks no deviation from the group's narrow interpretation of how things should be done. I think we should all keep our eyes out for that one - for the good of the Church.

PS.  If the followers of Dr. Daniel C. Peterson where to get together, they would sure consume a lot of donuts.[/QUOTE]
If you and Bill were running the show, we'd all be devoted followers. :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2008 - 7:14PM #94
BillThinks4Himself
[QUOTE=Vergilisvaticanus;940634]Shunning, how incredibly original.  Do we consider your use of lies and nastiness a need for a warning?  Or does that apply to you?

I would like to know where I have lied?  And I can definately point out your mistakes.

As a side note, I have received more than a few emails thanking me for challenging some of what you have been saying.  Apparently you have had a run this site for quite some time.[/QUOTE]

I have not lied.  I have tried to reason with you.  You have ignored my points and have simply engaged in endless, bitter, name-calling.  I'm not going to waste any more time with you.  When you want to have an actual discussion, let me know.  Otherwise, you're not worth it.

Here's a suggestion.  If you actually have something to say, something to contribute, start a thread.  If you're just going to treat this forum like an extension of Mormon Debate, you're just going to ruin it.  I've gone to Mormon Debate many times, have engaged in my share of firefights and have learned - as most eventually do - that there's no point to it.  It's just empty, pointless, endless exchanges of nastiness.  Whether you see yourself as the Church's last great defender or not, your tone is so caustic, it makes it unpleasant to play with you.

So, at the risk of hearing you claim you've won another victory - when all you really do is engage in abusive, second-rate street-style shouting fests - I'm going to do an end run around you.  I have people on this thread that I enjoy conversing with.  You are not one of them.  We could go round after round, but I've been posting here long enough to know the end from the beginning.  Trust me, I'll be posting here long after you've found another toy to play with.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2008 - 8:30PM #95
Vergilisvaticanus

I have not lied. I have tried to reason with you. You have ignored my points and have simply engaged in endless, bitter, name-calling. I'm not going to waste any more time with you. When you want to have an actual discussion, let me know. Otherwise, you're not worth it.

I have ignored none of your posts.  Which would make the statement a falsehood.  I have indeed countered your arguments.  You in turn have run away from the logic.  Such things as claiming there is no link among Mormons between the Proclamation to the Family and Proposition 8, and then claiming all the ads were lies, and when I pointed out a lie regarding education coming from your pro prop 8 group you ignored it.

You have not countered one argument but drifted off and attempted to any side eddy of the conversation you could.  And I do get angry with pompous blowhards that suddenly find someone challenging their long and non sequitir posts.

You don't want an actual discussion billie, you want an echo chamber.  When will you develop the knowledge to truly raise some real questions in regard to the issues, and stop attacking the church while claiming to be a good saint?  I will always be there to point out the falsehoods you attempt to foist on people.  You may whine and cry to whom ever you wish.  But if you can't deal with the facts, than at least be man enough to acknowledge as much.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2008 - 8:34PM #96
Vergilisvaticanus

Here's a suggestion. If you actually have something to say, something to contribute, start a thread. If you're just going to treat this forum like an extension of Mormon Debate, you're just going to ruin it. I've gone to Mormon Debate many times, have engaged in my share of firefights and have learned - as most eventually do - that there's no point to it. It's just empty, pointless, endless exchanges of nastiness. Whether you see yourself as the Church's last great defender or not, your tone is so caustic, it makes it unpleasant to play with you.

So, at the risk of hearing you claim you've won another victory - when all you really do is engage in abusive, second-rate street-style shouting fests - I'm going to do an end run around you. I have people on this thread that I enjoy conversing with. You are not one of them. We could go round after round, but I've been posting here long enough to know the end from the beginning. Trust me, I'll be posting here long after you've found another toy to play with.

Usually phase two of the passive aggressives.  They cry woe is me and feel that if someone threatens their own perceived position in some electronic community, that somehow the other person is bad or evil (just like the gay attacks on Mormons). 

You have no special place here billie, sure you have run people off (I think you say "sadly they left", I have heard differently).  I suggest you get used to your long winded posts being challenged.  And believe me, I challenge on the facts and I know my facts, that seems to worry you.... Care to revise your position on Socrates or do you think I am "lying" again?

I have never cottoned well to religious bigotry, especially those who claim to be LDS while always attacking the church.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 10 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook