5 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2008 - 11:11PM #1
RevKeithWright
Dearest God. 

We do not offer our prayers to you in the hopes that you will act upon them, but rather, we offer them as an act of community in the understanding that Creation is perfect according to your laws and needs no further intervention on your part.  It is the joining together in community to share issues concerning our lives which unites us in the power of action according to your laws.  Our strength is increased in the knowlege that it is our combined prayer in community which unites us in common purpose to ease suffering, build hope, fight injustice, and share in the beauty of Creation.  These prayers are not for you to intervene in our affairs, but a call to action in our hearts and minds, that we may share those concerns as a spiritual community and together, act upon them as one.
******************************************************************************************************************
     It is Thanksgiving time.  Probably the only true Deist "holiday".

In the Buddhist tradition of mindfulness, it is a good time to center yourself.

The meal you will eat didn't just appear before you.  thousands of people worked tirelessly to sow, grow, harvest, raise, kill, catch, clean , process, cook ,serve, package, ship, and sell what is set before you.  Be aware of the life which was taken (if you aren't a vegetarian).  Stop and ponder all of those who were behind what it took to get all of the goods to you and give thanks to them.

Stop and give thanks for what is good in your life.  Stop and really thank those around you for what they mean to you and how important they are to your life.

Finally, be aware that you are stardust and be in silent awe of creation.

"I was given something wonderful, something that changed me forever... A vision of the universe, that tells us, undeniably, how tiny, and insignificant and how... rare, and precious we all are! A vision that tells us that we belong to something that is greater then ourselves, that we are *not*, that none of us are alone! I wish... I... could share that... I wish, that everybody, if only for one... moment, could feel... that awe, and humility, and hope."
"Contact"
Carl Sagan

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Yours,
Keith
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 23, 2008 - 9:54AM #2
cclendenen
Excellent sentiments. We do not beg for special favors, but show thanks for the Creator's providence as a proper reverence.

Like you, I consider Deism my religion, while my philosophy is distinct. You pursue the path of Taoism, I draw my system of ethics and much of my guidance for living from Stoicism. Much of the thinking of Stoicism is captured in the "Serenity Prayer" (of 12-step program fame). While the prayer asks God to grant the petitioner these things, a Deist would thank the Creator for the opportunity and would pursue these goals as reasonable:

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

We already have been granted the capacity. It is up to us to do the hard work and make the good choices that will lead us to the happiness that is the result of a well-lived life.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 23, 2008 - 11:19AM #3
RevKeithWright
Chuck,

The true beauty of Deism shines in our posts.  The simplicity of belief in a Creator and denial of dogma allows us to join in one common agreement and in joy we are allowed to use our personal experiences to walk a path that enables us to truly have a "personal relationship" with God.

Revealed religions take the diversity of the entire world and try to stick humanity into immutable molds.  This is impossible.

In time, I feel that more and more people will find Deism to be a wonderful religion.  One that fits their hearts as well as their heads.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook