5 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2008 - 12:25PM #1
hikoro
Curious, if one were to honor the slavic gods Jarilo and Morena, what would be good images, symbols or belongings to use for each one of them?

Jarilo is a fertility and vegetation god and Morena is a goddess of nature, death and winter.

There is not much known about slavic paganism since the ancient slavs did not have a writing system.

So, I am trying to get ideas here.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2008 - 1:17PM #2
gorm_sionnach
For a lot of Pagans, learning the language of the region you are interested in mythologically is an excellent way to open up available sources. If you do not speak a regional language, then you become limited to the works published in languages you can read. This can be very limited, especially if you rely on english writers, who may not have the most pressing need to translate the available material into english. Therer seems to be a flourishing Russian neo-pagan community, however their web sites are in Russian. You see what I mean about language? This is doubly important if the culture was oral, in which case the language is often the only clue you have to go by.

Failing that, the entry on Slavic Paganism on Wikipedia is a gosd place to look, as it has a source list which you can pursue.

Not being a Slavic Recon, I am unable to offer opinions on the symbolic associations for those gods.

Hope this was helpful.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2008 - 6:04PM #3
hikoro
Thanks. From what I researched it does not seem as if much of the Slavic neopagans know about what their ancestors did but believed. There is a lot of folklore but what and how they did things is still a mystery? Some of it is more created than resconstructed. There is what is called the Book of Veles but some scholars think it is not a reliable source. Also, the paganism in Russia is very different compared to other Eastern European countries and I am more interested in Western and Southern Slavic paganism.

I know of a couple of links on Slavic paganism and have read some books too. I was just wondering what would be good images to represent these gods.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2008 - 5:04PM #4
airhead
in the culture of West Slavs, the symbol of Jaryło /Jarilo/ is a straw of grain or and hand-scythe, sometimes something connected to death
the symbol of Mokosz /Morena/ is always a ball of woll (it's her offer)

regargs
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 26, 2009 - 1:34AM #5
Shamanmystic

Anyone here know this rune or sign?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2010 - 5:21PM #6
et_baha

Hello,

I am Slavic from former Czechoslovakia. While I know nothing about the pagan faiths there, I know that the Easter customs go back to pre-Christian times. These are basically fertility rites. Women colour eggs. Men weave willow branches into a stick, which they use to beat the women, who then give up the coloured eggs. This is on the west side. Towards the east the men throw women into the creek. In the middle they may do both.  I read that the woman is supposed to be grateful.

There have been many changes over time. One celebration I went to, the men were also given baking and shots of alcohol. In some villages by the time men got to the end of a village, they would be quite drunk. There was movement from coloured eggs for boys to chocolate and other treats. Now I hear they expect money.

So, I suggest that you colour some eggs and offer those.

Best wishes!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2010 - 10:08PM #7
Shamanmystic

Nov 20, 2008 -- 12:25PM, hikoro wrote:

Curious, if one were to honor the slavic gods Jarilo and Morena, what would be good images, symbols or belongings to use for each one of them? Jarilo is a fertility and vegetation god and Morena is a goddess of nature, death and winter. There is not much known about slavic paganism since the ancient slavs did not have a writing system. So, I am trying to get ideas here.

perhaps something akin to the morrigan for morena ..  note this is her one image as she is actually 4 ie 3 maidens and the whole goddess.. see triple goddess ..  she is often found at the sacred grove beneath the world tree / axis mundi and she can appear as 3 or one.. think norn or muses

of course i'm of sami descent and know her as Saaraahka..

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook