Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View How do I know which sect of Buddhism...
6 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2008 - 4:41PM #1
Pthalo
[QUOTE=cjelli;419230]How do I know which sect of Buddhism is right for me?[/QUOTE]

A quick answer to this is to see what is available in your community.  Check out the group and talk to a few people.  If you don't like a lot of chanting, or if you don't want a lot of pain right away, or whatever, find out what it is in person first.  All the literature can come later.
The easiest path is Therevadan.  After that the pain goes up exponentially
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2008 - 12:04AM #2
cjelli
How do I know which sect of Buddhism is right for me?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2008 - 12:47AM #3
austex
I've seen lots of people post this question, but I honestly don't think another person can answer it for you.  I'd love to tell you to check out Nichiren-shu,  but it really is your call.  I would recommend that you find out what groups are close to you, and go from there.

--Mark
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2008 - 12:43AM #4
wannabe34angel
I could tell by my inner feelings,its just totally a different feeling from every day feelings.Also by reading the scriptures and talking to a few known buddhist.My whole life and attitude has changed with inner peace and much more.Guidance comes to me I do not go looking or searching.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2008 - 5:12AM #5
lucyinlove
Hi cjelli

Whenever I have a question for which I have no immediate or clear answer, I follow a process that goes something like this:

1.  First, I ask myself how I would like to feel when I know the answer and when I act on the answer.
2. Then I focus on those feelings and any images they generate, allowing them to fill me in every way (by this time I am always feeling good, joyful, confident etc)
3.  I then intend to be guided to the answer.  I might say something like this:  May I be guided to my perfect decision.  (Note:  Every decision is 'perfect'.  By asking to be guided to my perfect decision, I am reminding myself of the perfection of all decisions, indeed of all things!)
4.  Finally, I allow myself to be guided by saying something like this: I allow myself to be guided to my perfect decision.

This process works for ALL questions/problems etc.  It does not matter how much or how little information I have on the subject.  Instead, the process opens the door for my wisdom mind to guide me, often in ways that are so unexpected and often so enthralling :-). 

It is important, however, to be completely sincere during the whole process.  Simply saying something but thinking or feeling another thing is a pointless exercise.  For example, if I say that I allow myself to be guided but have already decided what the answer should or should not be, I am not being open to guidance!  I might as well have acknowledged my preference and gone with it!

And finally, having faith that I will be led to the perfect decision helps me recognize the perfection of my decision!

May you be guided to your perfect decision :-)

Lucy
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2008 - 1:21PM #6
grasshopper46
I think the term "SECT" is a bit frightening, considering what is going on with the FLDS in Texas, Also the word "CULT". You ask what is right for you. Your looking for someone else to answer your question on what you should do or what you should join. Look at them all and make your own mind up, just accept the responsibility of finding your own way. Perhaps it is not "joining" any of them. Be careful of the "Cult of the Personality".  I know as a former Catholic what that means and the Pope carries that "aura" if I can use that term loosely. Praying to an invisible diety in the sky is not exactly rational in my thinking. However, much benefit can come from meditation. My suggestion is to meditate on the subject. Good luck.
Michael
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2008 - 1:52PM #7
ArizumaBrett
This is a question that I haved lived with (my KOAN?) for about 4 decades. Suzuki Roshi used to say: "find your suffering and stick to it". Good idea, but i never managed it. Personally, I found that all schools of Buddhism made me worse, not better. I associate all these forms with suffering and have come to distrust all the schools. I found all the groups and Sanghas I was associated with to be sophomoric in nature, and "true believers" tended to  discourage my practice.

Bodhidharma, The Bloodstream Sermon:
“If you envision a buddha, a dharma, or a bodhisattva and conceive respect for them, you relegate yourself to the realm of mortals. If you seek direct understanding, don’t hold on to any appearance whatsoever, and you’ll succeed. I have no other advice. The sutras say, ‘That which is free of form is the buddha.’ … The buddha is your own mind. Don’t misdirect your worship.”
“Buddha is the Sanskrit for what you call aware, miraculously aware. Responding, perceiving, arching your brows, blinking your eyes, moving your hands and feet, it’s all your miraculously aware nature. And this nature is the mind. And the mind is the buddha. And the buddha is the path. And the path is zen. But the word zen is one that remains a puzzle to both mortals and sages. Seeing your nature is zen. Unless you see your nature, it’s not zen…”

Now I draw my inspiration from rebels like Ikkyu and all the practitioners of "crazy cloud" zen. But that is not the "answer" to the question but the acceptance of the question itself.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2008 - 3:04PM #8
Lotus1957
Faith is a very personal thing. It is important that you feel comfortable with whatever faith you decide to follow! It is also important that you can understand the things you read and believe. Search the web for different Buddhist "sects". Check them out and make sure they are RIGHT FOR YOU! You will know when you find it. Ask questions-on the site if you are able. Check for groups of that particular type in your local area. Call and ask to attend a meeting, if you are able. Tell them what  you are looking for.Ask questions here if you want. Just remember-your faith is yours, a personal choice, not something to make others happy or comfortable. This is something only you will know when you find the right  one!! I am Nichiren Daishonin, my partner is Zen. We respect each others beliefs-as we all should! Good luck in this pursuit and happy hunting.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2008 - 3:56PM #9
UnschoolnMa
I refer to my practice as "Independent Buddhism" because I have no one school or tradition. :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2008 - 4:26PM #10
scottknick
I personally wouldn't start by spending alot of time reading the teachings of the various schools; they're all going to sound pretty much alike. What really differs is the nature of the practice in each school, and it's good to find a practice that agrees with your temperment. So look up all the practice groups near you; read their web sites if they have them, or go to their introduction nights (most groups have one a month) and learn how the group practices together. Read the practice and retreat schedules, find out what they're like. You'll find groups vary greatly, and some styles of practice will appeal to you more than others.

Good luck!
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook