6 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2008 - 3:10AM #1
Deas
I'm curious if anyone has any info about Numa Pompilius, is there anyone that follows the Italic religion in his vein? Regarding blood sacrifices, cult images, etc as inappropriate?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2008 - 7:11PM #2
Taryn
In my practice I follow the prescriptions of Numa. I do not use images or believe in blood sacrifice. I find there to be sufficient evidence of these things, at least, not being part of the older forms of the pagan/heathen religions of Europe, including the Romans, Celts and the Germanic tribes. I also do not place any credence in the various convoluted mythologies and theogonies of late antiquity, as I believe many of these were created as mere entertainment and reflect a certain degenerative cynicism towards the Gods, perhaps ultimately tending towards euhemerism; I think both these and the visual anthropomorphism of the Gods were contributing factors in the decline of ancient Paganism. My view of the Gods is that they are Powers, Beings, Personalities, but that their ultimate form or essence is beyond my understanding and should not be limited by any ill-guided attempt to make earthly, anthropomorphic representations. I believe the natural phenomena traditionally associated with each God are representation enough, and are the means by which they reveal their natures to mortal beings.

Of course, I do not begrudge anyone else the right to use whatever images they wish, and to take the myths and relationships as literally as they wish. Blood sacrifice, well, as long as they're going to actually utilize the beast they kill, I suppose I don't have a problem with it. But if the life was taken simply for the sake of a God, and no human use will be made of it, then I personally feel that is wasteful and callous in the extreme. Just my opinion.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 08, 2008 - 3:57AM #3
Deas
Awesome, I didn't think I would find anyone.:) I too think there is something deeper in Indo-European tradition that the Numa traditions are based on. I also find that they are very much in harmony with beliefs I have held ever since I was a small child about the divine, so I'm really interested in it.

I have sometimes wondered if the extremes to which our ancient religions were mutilated in the late pagan times led the gods to allow Christianity to take over - so that we could return to a truer religion at some point. I'm not so sure how popular that idea would be, but if the gods are really powerful, and good, then I think there has to be some reason that Christianity was able to essentially triumph for a time.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2008 - 12:38AM #4
Khallan
The Gods allowed Christianity to take over because mankind is easily fooled. 

You see, the relationship between the mankind and the Gods is one of a recipricol nature.  In other words, ignore Them and we don't hear from Them.  They continue to exist, They continue to carry on supporting and maintaining creation, but we mortals must approach Them first.  The Gods, as supreme beings, don't come hither and thither at our every beck and call.  But that isn't to say They don't hear us and act upon our requests, They most certainly do so long as we provide Them the same care and attention.

When mankind turned its back on the Gods, the Gods left mankind to do as it wished, we're no skin off Their backs.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook