Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View SGI and Daisaku Ikeda
6 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2008 - 10:01AM #1
Truth27
Hello,

As someone investigating SGI for the purpose of possibly becoming a member, I am curious about the place of Daisaku Ikeda as "mentor" to all members.  He is a flawed human being, as are we all.  Should he be so venerated as to be seen as a model for all SGI members?  He is the inheriter of administrative leadership of a Society for the Creation of Value from Makiguchi and Toda.  That seems to be all that matters in my eyes.  That he keep the lay organization organized and running.  Should he be venerated for that?  Is that a Japanese thing that SGI is coopting?  What will happen when Ikeda dies?  Will we venerate whoever replaces him in this manner?  Or will authority be less centralized and demogogic?  What are peoples thoughts?  Are people required to orient themselves with Ikeda as their "mentor" in order to truly be a member of SGI?  If so, why?

Thanks.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2008 - 7:53PM #2
renge28
Hi

I'm a fairly new member of SGI, but have been studying Buddhism for a while.  From what I have studied, I don't think we should look at the mentor / disciple relationship as a relationship with a perfect individual.  Ikeda acts more as a guide, or inspirational leader.  The true teaching is through the lotus sutra.

It can be seen as "Ikeda worship", I myself have asked that question.  The real benefit lies in chanting and the dialogue between individuals.  Ikeda didn't write the lotus sutra, he just tries to help us understand it.

I look more at the members in my community or group as mentors, or Nichiren himself.

There are no rules in SGI, so if you don't want to have Ikeda as your mentor, you don't have too.

Also, Ikeda is the president of SGI, he is honorary president of Soka Gakkai.  Whoever takes over, will hopefully be there to lead the way for human revolution, that is the main point.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2008 - 9:51PM #3
Engyo
Hi, Truth -

I was once an NSA/SGI member; now I practice with a different Nichiren school.  My only comment here would be as follows:  As the Buddha, Nichiren, and even Daisaku Ikeda have all said at various times: "Place your faith (trust) in the Dharma and not in persons".  This is equally true of organizations, which are made up of persons.  Just my 2c, of course; YMMV.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2008 - 9:51PM #4
Engyo
Hi, Truth -

I was once an NSA/SGI member; now I practice with a different Nichiren school.  My only comment here would be as follows:  As the Buddha, Nichiren, and even Daisaku Ikeda have all said at various times: "Place your faith (trust) in the Dharma and not in persons".  This is equally true of organizations, which are made up of persons.  Just my 2c, of course; YMMV.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2008 - 7:45AM #5
Lotus-4311
I agree with the two previous comments, I look to Mr. Ikeda as a guide.  There are a few people in SGI who gives the impresssion of "Ikeda Worship".  This is could be that they are looking towards something or someone that is outside themselves instead seeking that which is eternal. 

As Renge28 said, "I look towards my members in district, the community, and have dialogue.  There are no rules stating this has to be done.  Even through you may have few members in your community who has the appearance of "Ikeda Worship".
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2008 - 7:24PM #6
sgi_chris
I have been studying with SGI for awhile and I have never seen nor have I heard of any person require to pay homage or devotion to the President. As a matter of fact President Ikeda constantly warns us against the doctrines of Nichiren Shu and Sho-Shu priests that require the same kind of devotion as the Gohonzon itself. You can find this information at http://www.sokaspirit.org/

The President oversees the issues of the organization and helps guide the members including shakubuku. He doesn't require nor has he verbally asked to be venerated, at least that I have heard of.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2008 - 10:01AM #7
Engyo
[QUOTE=sgi_chris;409198]I have been studying with SGI for awhile and I have never seen nor have I heard of any person require to pay homage or devotion to the President. As a matter of fact President Ikeda constantly warns us against the doctrines of Nichiren Shu and Sho-Shu priests that require the same kind of devotion as the Gohonzon itself. You can find this information at http://www.sokaspirit.org/

The President oversees the issues of the organization and helps guide the members including shakubuku. He doesn't require nor has he verbally asked to be venerated, at least that I have heard of.[/QUOTE]Chris & all -

It's interesting - the doctrines being refuted on the Soka Spirit website (at least in the case of Nichiren Shu) don't exist in the real world.  The folks doing the refuting obviously have very, very little experience of actual Nichiren Shu practice, based on their refutations anyway.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2008 - 9:19PM #8
sgi_chris
Regardless of what people have written on Soka Spirit, which indeed have been based off of personal experience in other Nichiren denominations, The history of Daisaku Ikeda is not hidden and removed from the public, as a matter of fact most of his interaction with other countries is constantly photographed and written about in the SGI weekly newspaper. I have spoken with countless district leaders and have watched lectures of President Ikeada and his attitued of devotion is twoard the Gohonzon, not to his own personal veneration.

-Chris
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 03, 2009 - 8:15PM #9
angel_hunter
I think the whole thing is one big mess, members worship this man like a God. That's what made me stop going to the meeting. I don't think he is all of that, he is just a man.  I think SGI has become a Japanese version of Christianity, of a one man show. You can hate me but hey I am being honest.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2009 - 11:48AM #10
sgi_chris
[QUOTE=angel_hunter;994743]I think the whole thing is one big mess, members worship this man like a God. That's what made me stop going to the meeting. I don't think he is all of that, he is just a man.  I think SGI has become a Japanese version of Christianity, of a one man show. You can hate me but hey I am being honest.[/QUOTE]

We were just discussing that and there is no proof that anyone in the SGI that worships president Ikeda. He is a great mentor in our Buddhist practice, and he established the International side to the Soka Gakkai. In other words, he has enabled the SGI to spread the Law of the Buddhas across the World, why would you not respect him?

There are no videos or documents proving that anyone worships president Ikeda, I know people that have said that president Ikeda was their mentor, but the Heritage of Mentor and Disciple is not worship and spans back to Shakyamuni Buddha and his Disciples.

Am I denying that some people idolize president Ikeda? No more than a 16 year old girl idolizes Paris Hilton! However, in our Buddhism we are just as personal as we are a community. No one has the exact same relationship with their Buddhists practice, nor do they have the exact same relationship with President Ikeda.

Over generalization can be dangerous when coupled with assumptions.

Sensei is always pointing away from himself to things like, the youth or to kosen-rufu, because we are told in the Lotus Sutra that they only reason Buddhas appear in the world is to show others the path to the Unsurpassed Way, enlightenment. Our youth will accomplish what my generation of YMD have started.

Good Luck and Keep Chanting!

-Chris
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook