Switch to Forum Live View Obama's inaugural poem
5 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2009 - 9:22PM #1
Gwyddion9
While watching Obama being sworn in as the 44th President, i listened to the inaugural poem being read in his honor. One part mentioned "Others by first do no harm, or take no more than you need." (bolded by me). I found myself thinking that, in some way, Pagans/Wiccans were being included. I was generally pleased by this. While just a small phrase, something i hadn't expected to be seen being mentioned at a Government gathering.
I realize that Obama is also trying to work on inclusion of all faiths, it still made me happy to see something that, atleast in my mind, mention a phrase known by Pagans & Wiccans.
I was simply curious if others thought this as well or what your thoughts were on this matter.

here is the address for the Inugural poem:  http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/us/po … ?ref=books
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. Dr. Seuss

Let My Worship be within the heart that rejoiceth, for behold: all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals. And therefore let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you. Charge of the Goddess
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2009 - 11:16PM #2
KeaErisdottir
[QUOTE=Gwyddion9;1035243]While watching Obama being sworn in as the 44th President, i listened to the inaugural poem being read in his honor. One part mentioned "Others by first do no harm, or take no more than you need." (bolded by me). I found myself thinking that, in some way, Pagans/Wiccans were being included. I was generally pleased by this. While just a small phrase, something i hadn't expected to be seen being mentioned at a Government gathering.
I realize that Obama is also trying to work on inclusion of all faiths, it still made me happy to see something that, atleast in my mind, mention a phrase known by Pagans & Wiccans.
I was simply curious if others thought this as well or what your thoughts were on this matter.[/quote]

If you took that away from a poem that Obama did not write himself, you are reaching for something that quite honestly isn't there.

"First, do no harm", is more likely a nod to the Hippocratic Oath(which, ironically enough, doesn't contain that language).

I think it also worth mentioning that if he is nodding toward our segment of the religious spectrum, that it is appropriate for us to ask why, and consider that the far-reaching effects of such a nod are no better than pandering to any other religious group.

Back in 1992, Otter Zell disgorged some expansive drivel about how Bill Clinton was gonna be some pagan president, or something.  Well, it is pretty safe to say that it didn't happen quite that way.  In fact, given his treatment of women, it was anything but.

My opinion is that too many people have laid the huge burden of Hope upon a single man.  It is neither fair to him nor to the nation.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2009 - 11:51PM #3
Gwyddion9
KeaErisdottir,

Again, alas, you are right. I have placed a lot of hope on Obama. I’ve been so tired of Bush and the RR’s involvement in government, for the last 8 years, that I’ve hoped that things will change for everyone, especially for the Pagan-Wiccan community.
  I find myself discouraged, at times, on how the greater Pagan community has been treated, imo. I realize that it’s a two way street and unfortunately, the Pagan community isn’t blameless.

By nature, I’m hopeful, always trying to see the best in people, hoping for a day when people will actually allow each other room practice their beliefs in peace and actually be civil to one another.  Change was one of the many reasons I voted for Obama. While I realize that some difference will always exist, for whatever reason, I simply hope that people will learn to see each other as human beings. No better or less but simply a person, like the rest of the people on this planet.

Wishing you the best Kea.
  Blessings be with you and yours.  :)

Respectfully,
  Ron
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. Dr. Seuss

Let My Worship be within the heart that rejoiceth, for behold: all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals. And therefore let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you. Charge of the Goddess
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2009 - 12:10AM #4
KeaErisdottir
[QUOTE=Gwyddion9;1035530]I’ve hoped that things will change for everyone, especially for the Pagan-Wiccan community.[/quote]

I am very fond of pointing out that when a Pagan or Wiccan does something that earns the trust and respect of the people around them in their community, that the matter of religion becomes rapidly moot.  Actually, that is as it should be.  My Wiccan status surely makes me a novelty, but I am so clearly like those people and tuned into the same issues that it is irrelevant.  As it should be.

Pagans and Wiccans get crapped on because most are simply not at ease with themselves and their faith, that they can just live it and not draw attention to themselves as being special.  They are often more prejudiced and combative than most of their counterparts in the radical fundamentalist communities.  It is, as you point out, their own fault.

[QUOTE]By nature, I’m hopeful, always trying to see the best in people, hoping for a day when people will actually allow each other room practice their beliefs in peace and actually be civil to one another.[/quote]

I live in that world now.  Today.  Here in a very conservative little community.  My son is a Cub Scout and completely welcome in his pack, without prejudice or harassment.  Two of my three daughters are Girl Scouts.  No one sold out or is hiding here.  We just live, give the respect we wish to receive in kind.  We work as hard as anyone else. 

One of the hardest lessons that I believe that Pagans need to learn is to not automatically lead with their religion.  In truth, in large part no one gives a damn what religion a person is anymore in this country, and those who do are merely a loud and obnoxious minority themselves.  In fact I am often the first Pagan that people meet.  I strive to be a good ambassador for my Gods.  It makes a difference. 

So, what I am saying here is that Change for the Pagans and Wiccans -has- to begin with the way the person in the mirror conducts themselves.  It is how it is done best.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2009 - 1:47PM #5
TheWhiteHart
[QUOTE=KeaErisdottir;1035560]
One of the hardest lessons that I believe that Pagans need to learn is to not automatically lead with their religion.  In truth, in large part no one gives a damn what religion a person is anymore in this country, and those who do are merely a loud and obnoxious minority themselves.  In fact I am often the first Pagan that people meet.  I strive to be a good ambassador for my Gods.  It makes a difference. 

So, what I am saying here is that Change for the Pagans and Wiccans -has- to begin with the way the person in the mirror conducts themselves.  It is how it is done best.[/QUOTE]

Well said, Kea. It is something for everyone to keep in mind.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2009 - 9:26PM #6
Sacrificialgoddess
Very  wise words, Kea.  :)
Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook