Switch to Forum Live View Druid/ Druídecht/ Draoiocht
6 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2009 - 8:26PM #1
gorm-sionnach
A simple question, would you, as a Celtic Recon, ever use the term to describe yourself, or others, after the years and years of education, your several degrees, and  decades of service to the community in the prescribed roles?

Has the term simply developed too much baggage as a result of the Victorian Druidic revival and Neo-Druidism to be a term you believe CR's would feel comfortable using, even if it is an appropriate honorific?

I'm sure the use of the Gaelic term would be considered more so than the english version of the latanized equivelent? Even then many of the neo-Druidic groups use the Gaelic as well, so...

Thoughts?
Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2009 - 9:41PM #2
moonsongsinger
I think the term could, theoretically, be applied to elders or the very learned in the community, but I has aqquired quite a bit of "baggage" as you well put it....It's also just too connected to New Agers or neo-Pagans....there would be way too much hype, and a new wave of bunnies would probably join in CR just to try to earn the title....
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2009 - 10:43PM #3
Feinics
I can't see myself ever using the term Druid to describe myself no matter how many years I clocked I wouldn't consider myself worthy of the term. Possibly someone else, as moonsong suggested an elder or someone very learned but even then I'd be wary..as you say baggage, in this case my own personal baggage; I grew up learning about the druids in a specific historical and cultural context that I don't feel applies today, even with reclamation of the word in a modern CR setting it would hard to get past understandings I have since early childhood.  I may use the term draoiocht as its used within the modern Irish language.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2009 - 10:51PM #4
gorm-sionnach
As in magic/ magician?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2009 - 11:13PM #5
Feinics
yep! though really in reference to magic I'd spell it draíocht.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2009 - 11:19PM #6
gorm-sionnach
Yay, I actually managed to adequately define an Irish word, go me!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2009 - 11:36PM #7
Feinics
comhghairdeas :D
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook