5 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2009 - 8:19PM #1
Agnes
Why are ISKON members vegetarian and not Vegan?   In the western world animals that produce eggs and milk suffer extreme abuse.  How do you reconcile with this fact?

Thanks.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2009 - 3:57AM #2
Jm8
Agnes,

ISKCON devotees try to avoid buying the commercial produce as much as possible in favor of the ethical produce. ISKCON has also farms where cows are not killed but treated nicely. Some devotees are also vegans or semivegans. I myself have limited buying commercial milk products by 90% and eat them only in our temples and restaurants. The point is that milk products have their place in human diet and vegans have to replace them in some ways. Here's more:

http://www.dandavats.com/?p=4745

The overall idea is to minimize suffering but in this material world the suffering will be always present in some form. So the ultimate solution to all problems presented in theistic religions is to leave this material world an return back to God's realm.

ys Jan
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2009 - 10:37PM #3
comradesoul

Agnes wrote:

Why are ISKON members vegetarian and not Vegan?   In the western world animals that produce eggs and milk suffer extreme abuse.  How do you reconcile with this fact?

Thanks.

Very good question Agnes. I am vegan and have been since the early 70's. I also have been chanting Hare Krishna since 1970 and joined Iskcon in 1971. Cow protection is given a high priority in Vedic society but as you point out above there is no protection for cows in the West and to purchase commercial milk. (organic, free range included) is clearly contributing to severe abuse of cows.

I still chant Hare Krishna although not associated with any group like Iskcon. When ever I get a chance to speak to some devotee I bring up this glaring inconsistency. The good news is there are an increasing number of Iskcon members who are becoming vegan.

Thanks for asking this question.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2009 - 6:17PM #4
Agnes
Dear ComradeSoul,

Thanks for the input.  I am a recent convert to veganism after 25+ years as a vegetarian.  A few months ago I downloaded some Compassionate Chef podcasts hoping to get some good recipes, she went into painful detail of why she was a vegan and not a vegetarian.

I had no idea that my eating habits were bringing such pain to helpless chickens and cows.  For those of you who do not know, cows are continually impregnated in order to maintain milk production, immediately after birth the calf is taken away and slaughtered or raised as veal.  Once the cow can no longer reproduce she is slaughtered.  Chicken are only egg layers for a very short time, after which they are slaughtered.  This is true of free range chickens and cows.

Comradesoul, I see you were in ISKCON in their glory days.  I bet you have some interesting stories and experiences to tell, I would love to hear more about your experiences in the movement.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 30, 2009 - 1:00PM #5
Saadaya

I was talked into becoming more of a vegan by a devotee and I would encourage you to tell others, not in a rude manner but challenging them out of compassion for cows, about your views.  This is a slow process.  It took me months to get used to avoiding meat after I started becoming Krishna conscious.  People are habitual.  People get used to certain views and practices that take time to weed out and that people take for granted unless challenged.

I've already challenged some of my temple brothers on this regard and they gave me a blank stear, but I know that the next time they will have pondered the matter a bit, and then the next time even more, etc.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 30, 2009 - 1:20PM #6
Siribi

I've been a vegetarian for 18 years. At first I was an ovo-lacto vegetarian, then I gave up milk products when I found out I was 100% lactose intolerant, a commonly found condition that's sometimes excused as "indigestion" "Gas", etc and blamed on myriad foods rather than the lactic products. Were I to try eating animals today I'd get ill, couldn't put a piece of flesh or fish in my mouth. Once a week I eat eggs from free range chickens from a farm nearby, the chickens live free, and aren't used as food source either.

"We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook