Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
6 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2008 - 11:01AM #21
Smurfette2002
[QUOTE=BillThinks4Himself;383285]Mormons do wear garments, what some folks have mockingly called "holy underwear."  In a way, even those who mock the garment are at least half-right.  If ever somebody's underwear could be called "holy," these garments fit the bill.

...I know Catholics who go to mass and essentially hear something pretty articulated in Latin, along with the interactive group experience, sometimes standing, sometimes sitting, sometimes kneeling.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=BillThinks4Himself;383285]....whether it's the Catholic priest muttering some mumbo jumbo in Latin, or the Anglican priest with all his high and holy pomp, or the Baptist and his hellfire or the Pentecostal with his snakes and/or tongues - is basically their agreement with a version of God, a version that feels embarrassed by all this silliness.[/QUOTE]

Just for clarification, majority of Catholic attend Mass in whatever the local language is though there are some parishes that do offer Latin Masses where there is a priest available who can do a whole Mass in latin and/or there are enough members who will go to a Latin Mass. That "mumbo-jumbo" is usually readings/scripture from the Bible or prayers to Jesus Christ.

...but thank you for the clarifications you and other have offered about the garments. I have often heard of the half-truths of the holy underwear and such about LDS and agree that it is mostly spread by those who like to down any denomination they are not a part of. I understand that completely as my faith is a much maligned and misrepresented group....
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2008 - 4:25PM #22
POC777
What is so special about the underwear?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2008 - 6:40PM #23
BillThinks4Himself
[QUOTE=POC777;462781]What is so special about the underwear?[/QUOTE]

Honestly?  Nothing.  It's just underwear.  It won't stop a bullet.  It's not fireproof.  It won't even float.

But part of the Mormon experience is to go to the temple.  Unlike an ordinary Sunday church service, Mormons dress up in white robes similar to the garments of the priests who officiated in Solomon's temple.  They participate in the Endowment, a re-enactment of the Creation Story in Genesis, where the entire Plan of Salvation is dramatized and where individual participants - in a limited way - are part of the show.  The Endowment is a celebration of life - from an eternal perspective - where participants covenant to life clean lives, build up the kingdom and endure to the end.

Imagine something like the Rocky Horror Picture Show, but turned upside down.  Instead of a teen rite of passage, mocking middle-class suburbia and embracing sexual freedom, the Endowment answers the big question of what life is about, where we came from, what we're doing, and presents each participant with the invitation to a spiritual adventure, where - through obedience to commandments and service to the greater whole - an individual becomes so much bigger than himself.  Think of it as a quiet, dignified, Disney ride, where individuals walk through all the steps of life - from premortality, to birth, marriage, old age, death and beyond.

When a person leaves the temple, all the white robes go back into a suitbag and the individual returns to the street sounds of the ordinary world.  The only souvenir of this spiritual adventure is the garment, a modified version of undergarments most people where.  The temple garment is a little longer in the legs and has short sleeves, but it's basically just underwear.  Except for a few markings, which are there to remind the wearer of covenants made in the temple, it could pass for anybody's underwear.

The difference is in how Mormons view this garment.  Because it's a reminder of the temple experience, and of the covenants Mormons make with God, the garment is treated as sacred.  My cotton undies, in and of themselves, are not any better than yours, but they remind me of my own private journey with God on that day when I went to the temple to participate in the Endowment for the first time and make my own covenants with God.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 02, 2008 - 8:14PM #24
ProfitOfGod
No, not everyone chooses to wear them, even if 'endowed' and 'temple-worthy'.

I remain firm in my belief that God really doesn't care what I cover my behind with, but others are quite certain that he does.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 06, 2008 - 10:49PM #25
BillThinks4Himself
[QUOTE=ProfitOfGod;473767]No, not everyone chooses to wear them, even if 'endowed' and 'temple-worthy'.

I remain firm in my belief that God really doesn't care what I cover my behind with, but others are quite certain that he does.[/QUOTE]

Some behinds are better left uncovered.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 08, 2008 - 3:05PM #26
ProfitOfGod
Lol @ Bt4h!
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement