Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Muslims-only: Palestine... your thoughts?
5 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2009 - 7:00AM #1
Ceren
Assalamu `alaykum,

I've been watching with horror what's been happening in Gaza. It's been also very interesting because I'm currently in Europe and the difference in the media is HUGE! I have never realized who biased for Israel the media in North America is.

Anyways... there are some things that I've been thinking and I wanted to share it with you:

- First of all... what can we do? I feel useless, dunno what to do, dunno what the solution to all this is, etc. So far what i've been doing is setting aside one hour during the day to make du`a for all the Muslims that are being oppresse. Does anyone know of NGOs or organizations where we can send money? Not only to Palestine, but to other territories in dire need of assistance.

- Second...  does anyone feel there is some kind of double standard going on among Muslims? I mean, I think there are Muslims being oppressed in other regions of the world (Kashmir comes to mind), there are lots of places where Muslims are oppressing and killing Muslims yet we do not seem as concerned.

- Third... what do you think it's the political solution to all of this? These are my thoughts: I think Palestinians should give the "Israel should cease to exist" discourse and push for Israel to go back to its original borders and then just live and let live.
However, I have little confidence Israel would accept this. In fact, even Hamas suggested a 10 year truce if Israel would go back to its original borders and Israel has conveniently not answered yet.  Also, the EU sent a delegation and said they wanted to send international observers to Gaza and Israel doesn't want to.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2009 - 1:07PM #2
Daniyal
Israeli Forces Push Deeper Into Gaza
By IBRAHIM BARZAK and MATTI FRIEDMAN, AP
posted: 50 MINUTES AGOcomments: 26676filed under: World News

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (Jan. 4) - Israeli ground troops and tanks cut swaths through the Gaza Strip early Sunday, cutting the coastal territory into two and surrounding its biggest city as the new phase of a devastating offensive against Hamas militants gained momentum.
The military used overwhelming firepower from tanks, artillery and aircraft to protect the advancing soldiers, and Gaza officials said at least 31 civilians were killed in the onslaught. The military said troops killed several dozen militants, but Gaza officials could confirm only four dead — in part because rescue teams could not reach the battle zones.

Also See: US Blocks UN Call for Cease-Fire | Europeans Protest Attacks
CNN.com: Civilians on Both Sides Caught in Crossfire
The ground invasion and live images of the fighting in Gaza drew international condemnations and dominated news coverage on Arab satellite TV stations, many of which aired footage of wounded Palestinians at hospitals. Hamas threatened to turn Gaza into an Israeli "graveyard."
Israel reported one soldier was killed by mortar fire on Sunday — the first Israeli death in a ground offensive that so far has been widely popular with the Israeli public.
Thousands of soldiers in three brigade-size formations pushed into Gaza after nightfall Saturday, beginning a long-awaited ground offensive against the area's Hamas rulers after a week of intense aerial bombardment. Black smoke billowed over Gaza City at first light as bursts of machine gun fire rang out.

The ground operation is the second phase in an offensive that began as a weeklong aerial onslaught aimed at halting Hamas rocket fire that has reached deeper and deeper into Israel, threatening major cities and one-eighth of Israel's population.
The new deaths brought the death toll in the Gaza Strip to more than 500 since Dec. 27. Palestinian and U.N. officials say at least 100 civilians are among the dead.
TV footage showed Israeli troops with night-vision goggles and camouflage face paint marching in single file. Artillery barrages preceded their advance, and they moved through fields and orchards following bomb-sniffing dogs to guard against booby-traps.
Gaza City's civilians cowered inside as battles raged, while terrified residents in other areas fled in fear. In the southern town of Rafah, one man loaded a donkey cart with mattresses and blankets preparing to flee.
Lubna Karam, 28, said she and the other nine members of her family spent the night huddled in the hallway of their Gaza City home. The windows of the house were blown out days earlier in an Israeli airstrike, and the family has been without electricity for a week, surviving without heat and eating cold food.
She said no one slept overnight. "We keep hearing the sounds of airplanes and we don't know if we'll live until tomorrow or not," she said.
Gaza health officials said the dead included a 12-year-old girl, five members of a single family, eight civilians killed by a tank shell in the northern Gaza town of Beit Lahiya, and an ambulance drive

AOL .NEWS
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2009 - 1:07PM #3
Daniyal
Israeli Forces Push Deeper Into Gaza
By IBRAHIM BARZAK and MATTI FRIEDMAN, AP
posted: 50 MINUTES AGOcomments: 26676filed under: World News

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (Jan. 4) - Israeli ground troops and tanks cut swaths through the Gaza Strip early Sunday, cutting the coastal territory into two and surrounding its biggest city as the new phase of a devastating offensive against Hamas militants gained momentum.
The military used overwhelming firepower from tanks, artillery and aircraft to protect the advancing soldiers, and Gaza officials said at least 31 civilians were killed in the onslaught. The military said troops killed several dozen militants, but Gaza officials could confirm only four dead — in part because rescue teams could not reach the battle zones.

Also See: US Blocks UN Call for Cease-Fire | Europeans Protest Attacks
CNN.com: Civilians on Both Sides Caught in Crossfire
The ground invasion and live images of the fighting in Gaza drew international condemnations and dominated news coverage on Arab satellite TV stations, many of which aired footage of wounded Palestinians at hospitals. Hamas threatened to turn Gaza into an Israeli "graveyard."
Israel reported one soldier was killed by mortar fire on Sunday — the first Israeli death in a ground offensive that so far has been widely popular with the Israeli public.
Thousands of soldiers in three brigade-size formations pushed into Gaza after nightfall Saturday, beginning a long-awaited ground offensive against the area's Hamas rulers after a week of intense aerial bombardment. Black smoke billowed over Gaza City at first light as bursts of machine gun fire rang out.

The ground operation is the second phase in an offensive that began as a weeklong aerial onslaught aimed at halting Hamas rocket fire that has reached deeper and deeper into Israel, threatening major cities and one-eighth of Israel's population.
The new deaths brought the death toll in the Gaza Strip to more than 500 since Dec. 27. Palestinian and U.N. officials say at least 100 civilians are among the dead.
TV footage showed Israeli troops with night-vision goggles and camouflage face paint marching in single file. Artillery barrages preceded their advance, and they moved through fields and orchards following bomb-sniffing dogs to guard against booby-traps.
Gaza City's civilians cowered inside as battles raged, while terrified residents in other areas fled in fear. In the southern town of Rafah, one man loaded a donkey cart with mattresses and blankets preparing to flee.
Lubna Karam, 28, said she and the other nine members of her family spent the night huddled in the hallway of their Gaza City home. The windows of the house were blown out days earlier in an Israeli airstrike, and the family has been without electricity for a week, surviving without heat and eating cold food.
She said no one slept overnight. "We keep hearing the sounds of airplanes and we don't know if we'll live until tomorrow or not," she said.
Gaza health officials said the dead included a 12-year-old girl, five members of a single family, eight civilians killed by a tank shell in the northern Gaza town of Beit Lahiya, and an ambulance drive

AOL .NEWS
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2009 - 7:40PM #4
Daniyal
Israeli Attack Intensifies; Tanks Enter Khan Yunis
Israel has broadened its attack on Gaza as Israeli tanks have entered Khan Yunis, Gaza’s second largest city. In northern Gaza, witnesses reported wave after wave of bombing strikes accompanied by gunfire from helicopters and artillery from land and sea. On Monday, Israel rejected European calls for a ceasefire.

Israel Bombs UN School, Three Killed
More than forty Palestinians were killed in Gaza yesterday, almost half of them children. Five civilians were killed early today when a shell fired by an Israeli ship hit their house. The United Nations said three Palestinians died last night when an Israeli bomb hit a UN school where hundreds of Gazans had sought refuge. UN officials say they provided their location coordinates to Israel’s army to ensure that their buildings in Gaza are not targeted.

Doctor: Most Palestinian Casualties Are Civilians
Mads Gilbert, a Norwegian doctor in Gaza, told the BBC that Palestinians civilians are being particularly hard hit.

Dr. Mads Gilbert: "The statistics are clear. Among the 2,400-2,500 injured, 45 percent are women and children. And then there are also all the civilian men. So the large majority of the injured, the victims, are women, men and children civilian. Among the the killed, 25 percent of the killed are children and women, and among the children, today, it was—this morning, it was 801 children either killed or injured. 101 children had been killed.”

Dr. Gilbert also criticized Israel for claiming there is no humanitarian crisis.

Dr. Mads Gilbert: “I ask, where is the international community, who has this big organization to come to disasters. We are two doctors from the West. Where are the others? They are not let in, because the Israelis say there is no disaster. Now, how can they know? They never came here, they never saw. They don’t care. So this is the worst man-made disaster for the time I can think of.”

Red Cross: Gaza Is a “Full-Blown" Humanitarian Crisis
Earlier today, the International Committee of the Red Cross said Gaza was now in a “full-blown” humanitarian crisis. Over the past eleven days, at least 573 Palestinians have been killed with more than 2,500 wounded. Four Israeli soldiers were also killed on Monday, bringing the Israeli death toll to eight. The Israeli military says the four soldiers died in two separate friendly fire incidents. Militants with Hamas continue to fire rockets into Israel. One struck an empty kindergarten in Ashdod.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2009 - 7:42PM #5
Daniyal
Bush Refuses to Call for Ceasefire
On Monday, President Bush refused to call for a ceasefire in Gaza.

President Bush: “And, finally, all of us, of course, would like to see, you know, violence stop, but not at the expense of an agreement that does not prevent the crisis from happening again. I know people are saying, ’Let’s have a ceasefire.’ And those are noble ambitions. But any ceasefire must have the conditions in it so that Hamas does not use Gaza as a place from which to launch rockets.”

Poll: Americans Divided Over Israeli Attack
A new public opinion poll has shown that Americans are closely divided over Israel’s actions. The Rasmussen Reports poll found 44 percent of Americans say Israel should have taken military action against the Palestinians, but 41 percent say it should have tried to find a diplomatic solution. Democratic voters overwhelmingly opposed Israel’s attacks by a 24-point margin. Republicans support Israel’s actions by a 35-point margin. The poll also found that more than half of Americans fear Israel’s actions will cause more terrorism against the United States.

Obama Defers to Bush on Gaza Crisis
On Monday, President-elect Barack Obama made his first comment about the situation in Gaza—ten days after Israel’s attacks began. Obama said he would not interfere in “delicate negotiations” by the outgoing Bush administration.

President-elect Barack Obama: “Obviously, international affairs are of deep concern. With the situation in Gaza, I’ve been getting briefed every day. I’ve had consistent conversations with members of the current administration about what’s taking place. That will continue. I will continue to insist that when it comes to foreign affairs, it is particularly important to adhere to the principle of one president at a time, because there are delicate negotiations taking place right now, and we can’t have two voices coming out of the United States when you have so much at stake.”

For More Information Go To t Democracy Now.org
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2009 - 9:06PM #6
Faqir
I am beginning to think that the Palestinians and the Israelis deserve each other. Not only do they share a land (being generous), but they share the same pathology. This may be vacuous political theory, but from a spiritual perspective one of the major problems is that they share the pathology of King Lear who, as the Bard wrote, said "I am a man more sinned against than sinning". And of course King Lear loses everything including his kingdom because of this, as well as other, character flaws. Every time a bomb is dropped, or a rocket fired, or a gun shot the cry from each side is the same: 'it's all their fault, look at what they did to me that made me do this, we are a people more sinned against than sinning'. Personally at this point I do not think that there is a political solution. Neither side seems willing to do anything to help themselves and the best we can hope for is less violence and that it doesn't cause unrest in other countries.

Does anyone know of NGOs or organizations where we can send money?

Lots of organizations that collect zakat also do these sorts of things. One example is: http://www.icnareliefcanada.ca/

does anyone feel there is some kind of double standard going on among Muslims?

Absolutely, and more than one. The one double standard is the one that you mentioned. Why are people not nearly as upset or stirred to action by what has been happening in Sudan? Or Somalia? Or how about Zimbabwe? And are we so provincial we only care about muslims and not people who are not muslims? And are muslims always on the right side? Are there not muslims who have/are oppressing and murdering muslims and non-muslims?

La fatah ilallah.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2009 - 8:27AM #7
sazaj36
Obama Defers to Bush on Gaza Crisis
On Monday, President-elect Barack Obama made his first comment about the situation in Gaza—ten days after Israel’s attacks began. Obama said he would not interfere in “delicate negotiations” by the outgoing Bush administration....

Didnt take long to discover just what sort of "hope" got voted into office...same o same o far as I can see. Another 4 years of Israeli ass kissing...someone get the jumbo chapstick ready...sigh.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2009 - 11:46PM #8
newmuslimlady
This is a Muslim charity that is back by the Federal Government. 

www.irw.org (helps everyone around the world)   Palestine, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Africa, USA, and many more countries around the world.  Muslim and non-Muslim countires.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 08, 2009 - 6:01PM #9
Daniyal
Palestinian Toll Passes 700; Around One-Third Children

Tens of thousands of Palestinians have fled their homes in the southern town of Rafah as Israel intensifies its assault on the Gaza Strip. Palestinians reported dozens of Israeli air strikes overnight, with attacks hitting homes, mosques and tunnels. Earlier today, the UN said Israeli forces fired on one of its relief convoys trying to pick up supplies. Al Jazeera reports at least one Palestinian was killed and two others injured. At least twenty-nine Palestinians were killed in Israeli attacks Wednesday, including a family of four traveling in their car in Beit Lahia. The Arabic news channel Al Jazeera reports the Palestinian death toll stands at more than 700 overall, including 219 children. More than 3,000 Palestinians have also been wounded. Ten Israelis have died over the same thirteen-day period, including seven soldiers, four of them by so-called friendly fire.

School Bombing Toll Reaches 46 as Israel Retracts Claim of Militant Fire
Another four Palestinians died Wednesday from injuries sustained in the Israeli bombing of a UN school sheltering Gaza civilians in Jabalya, bringing the death toll to forty-six. Another fifty-five were wounded. UN spokesperson Chris Gunness said Israeli officials have privately retracted their widely cited initial claim that Hamas militants were firing from the school.

UNRWA spokesperson Chris Gunness: “I’ve been authorized to say that the Israeli army, in private briefings with diplomats, is admitting that the firing that came out of Jabalya yesterday, the militant fire, was not from within the UNRWA school compound, it was from outside the UNRWA school compound. This is a crucial distinction, because serious allegations have been made against UNRWA that the militants were firing from within. In fact, those allegations are baseless. It, as far as we’re concerned, illustrates the need for a full and independent investigation. It’s been shown that these allegations against us are completely baseless."

The UN is calling for an independent investigation into the school bombing as a possible war crime.

Red Cross Condemns Israel for Blocking Access to Bombing Site
The International Committee of the Red Cross, meanwhile, has issued a rare condemnation of the Israeli government for blocking it from the site of a deadly bombing of Palestinian civilians. The Red Cross says Israel barred aid workers for four days from reaching victims in the neighborhood of Zeitoun. Israeli soldiers reportedly tried to chase the rescue workers away. When they finally arrived, the workers found fifteen bodies, along with several children still barely alive. The children were lying next to their dead mothers. In a statement, the Red Cross said the Israeli military has “failed to meet its obligation under international humanitarian law to care for and evacuate the wounded,” calling the episode “unacceptable.” Other sources have reported a higher death toll in the Zeitoun attack. The Daily Telegraph of London reports the bombing could have killed between sixty to seventy members of the same family.

Lebanese Militants Fire at Northern Israel
Meanwhile, militants in southern Lebanon have opened fire on Israel, with three rockets hitting the northern town of Nahariya earlier today. Israel responded with mortar fire into Lebanon. No one has claimed responsibility for the firing from Lebanon.

Fighting Suspended for 3-Hour Aid Delivery
Aid workers were given a three-hour halt to the fighting Wednesday to try to deliver desperately needed supplies. But European Commission official Simon Horner said the brief lull doesn’t even meet the bare requirement for delivering aid.

Scott Horner: “Yes, three hours is a bit of a help, but it’s really not even the bare minimum. It’s just a slight assistance that allows inhabitants of Gaza to get out to reach supplies where they’re available inside the Strip, but an awful lot more needs to be done. And ultimately, of course, what we want is a sustained ceasefire, followed up hopefully by a political solution, in order to ensure that the humanitarian needs are addressed as quickly as possible.”

The UN says more than one million Gazans are without electricity or running water.

EU Backs Egyptian Ceasefire Proposal
Israel has continued the Gaza assault despite claiming it’s in “fundamental agreement” with an Egyptian and French ceasefire proposal. The plan calls for an end to the fighting, followed by talks on lifting the economic blockade of Gaza and securing its borders. Israeli officials are expected to travel to Egypt today.

European Union policy chief Javier Solana: “The initiative of President Mubarak, we welcome it and we support it. We were working with him last night and had been well received by Prime Minister Olmert, by leaders of the region, and I hope very much that that will be the stone upon which we can construct a ceasefire that I hope will be coming very soon.”

UN General Assembly to Meet on Gaza Attack
Meanwhile, the United Nations General Assembly will begin a two-day emergency session today over the Gaza attack. General Assembly president and former Nicaraguan foreign minister Miguel d’Escoto Brockmann called the session in response to his reported opposition to the US refusal to authorize a Security Council-backed ceasefire.

Palestinian, Israeli Protesters Condemn Attack on Gaza
Protests continue against the Gaza attack. On Wednesday, more than 1,000 Palestinians gathered in the West Bank city of Hebron. And in Israel, hundreds of Israelis demonstrated in Tel Aviv.

Israeli protester: “I came to protest against what my government is doing in Gaza: killing civilians, children, women, that are stranded in their houses with nowhere to go, with no fuel, no electricity, no water. This is absolutely violation of human rights.”

Democracy Now.org
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 08, 2009 - 6:01PM #10
Daniyal

Tens of thousands of Palestinians have fled their homes in the southern town of Rafah as Israel intensifies its assault on the Gaza Strip. Palestinians reported dozens of Israeli air strikes overnight, with attacks hitting homes, mosques and tunnels. Earlier today, the UN said Israeli forces fired on one of its relief convoys trying to pick up supplies. Al Jazeera reports at least one Palestinian was killed and two others injured. At least twenty-nine Palestinians were killed in Israeli attacks Wednesday, including a family of four traveling in their car in Beit Lahia. The Arabic news channel Al Jazeera reports the Palestinian death toll stands at more than 700 overall, including 219 children. More than 3,000 Palestinians have also been wounded. Ten Israelis have died over the same thirteen-day period, including seven soldiers, four of them by so-called friendly fire.

School Bombing Toll Reaches 46 as Israel Retracts Claim of Militant Fire
Another four Palestinians died Wednesday from injuries sustained in the Israeli bombing of a UN school sheltering Gaza civilians in Jabalya, bringing the death toll to forty-six. Another fifty-five were wounded. UN spokesperson Chris Gunness said Israeli officials have privately retracted their widely cited initial claim that Hamas militants were firing from the school.

UNRWA spokesperson Chris Gunness: “I’ve been authorized to say that the Israeli army, in private briefings with diplomats, is admitting that the firing that came out of Jabalya yesterday, the militant fire, was not from within the UNRWA school compound, it was from outside the UNRWA school compound. This is a crucial distinction, because serious allegations have been made against UNRWA that the militants were firing from within. In fact, those allegations are baseless. It, as far as we’re concerned, illustrates the need for a full and independent investigation. It’s been shown that these allegations against us are completely baseless."

The UN is calling for an independent investigation into the school bombing as a possible war crime.

Red Cross Condemns Israel for Blocking Access to Bombing Site
The International Committee of the Red Cross, meanwhile, has issued a rare condemnation of the Israeli government for blocking it from the site of a deadly bombing of Palestinian civilians. The Red Cross says Israel barred aid workers for four days from reaching victims in the neighborhood of Zeitoun. Israeli soldiers reportedly tried to chase the rescue workers away. When they finally arrived, the workers found fifteen bodies, along with several children still barely alive. The children were lying next to their dead mothers. In a statement, the Red Cross said the Israeli military has “failed to meet its obligation under international humanitarian law to care for and evacuate the wounded,” calling the episode “unacceptable.” Other sources have reported a higher death toll in the Zeitoun attack. The Daily Telegraph of London reports the bombing could have killed between sixty to seventy members of the same family.

Lebanese Militants Fire at Northern Israel
Meanwhile, militants in southern Lebanon have opened fire on Israel, with three rockets hitting the northern town of Nahariya earlier today. Israel responded with mortar fire into Lebanon. No one has claimed responsibility for the firing from Lebanon.

Fighting Suspended for 3-Hour Aid Delivery
Aid workers were given a three-hour halt to the fighting Wednesday to try to deliver desperately needed supplies. But European Commission official Simon Horner said the brief lull doesn’t even meet the bare requirement for delivering aid.

Scott Horner: “Yes, three hours is a bit of a help, but it’s really not even the bare minimum. It’s just a slight assistance that allows inhabitants of Gaza to get out to reach supplies where they’re available inside the Strip, but an awful lot more needs to be done. And ultimately, of course, what we want is a sustained ceasefire, followed up hopefully by a political solution, in order to ensure that the humanitarian needs are addressed as quickly as possible.”

The UN says more than one million Gazans are without electricity or running water.

EU Backs Egyptian Ceasefire Proposal
Israel has continued the Gaza assault despite claiming it’s in “fundamental agreement” with an Egyptian and French ceasefire proposal. The plan calls for an end to the fighting, followed by talks on lifting the economic blockade of Gaza and securing its borders. Israeli officials are expected to travel to Egypt today.

European Union policy chief Javier Solana: “The initiative of President Mubarak, we welcome it and we support it. We were working with him last night and had been well received by Prime Minister Olmert, by leaders of the region, and I hope very much that that will be the stone upon which we can construct a ceasefire that I hope will be coming very soon.”

UN General Assembly to Meet on Gaza Attack
Meanwhile, the United Nations General Assembly will begin a two-day emergency session today over the Gaza attack. General Assembly president and former Nicaraguan foreign minister Miguel d’Escoto Brockmann called the session in response to his reported opposition to the US refusal to authorize a Security Council-backed ceasefire.

Palestinian, Israeli Protesters Condemn Attack on Gaza
Protests continue against the Gaza attack. On Wednesday, more than 1,000 Palestinians gathered in the West Bank city of Hebron. And in Israel, hundreds of Israelis demonstrated in Tel Aviv.

Israeli protester: “I came to protest against what my government is doing in Gaza: killing civilians, children, women, that are stranded in their houses with nowhere to go, with no fuel, no electricity, no water. This is absolutely violation of human rights.”

Democracy Now.org
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook