Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
5 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2008 - 10:32AM #1
The_Eye_Am
While there are several New Thought groups represented in this forum, there are many commonalities between the groups.  Speaking from a Unity perspective, one common aspect in Unity is that there is no dogma or creed within the church congregations.  However, I suspect that there are certain traditions within many of the Unity churches, and I wonder if this applies to other New Thought churches. 

A tradition that exists in my church is going to take place tonight - our annual New Year's Eve potluck dinner, and a praying out of the old year/praying in the new year from 11:30 - 12:30.  I have joined other members of my church family for the past five years in this tradition, and I cannot think of any other way that I would desire to spend my new year's eve.  It was started, years back, as a means for people who wanted an alternative to the parties centered around alcohol.  I find it as a way to center my own self for  releasing the not so good of the past year, and to ready myself for a year grounded in God. 

Are there other traditions that your New Thought church observes, either for New Year's or other events?  How will you spend your New Year's Eve, and does your faith enter into your holiday celebration?

Blessings,
Lori
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2008 - 10:18PM #2
TigersEyeDowsing
In our Unity, and many others, we have a burning bowl ceremony with a large bonfire to burn the old habits, beliefs, thoughts, etc., we don't wish to carry into the new year.
Churchianity, by substituting creed for Christ and dogma instead of the divine facts of being, has stripped Love of her royal robes and has left her standing an unheeded beggar in the universe of God. - Rev. W. John Murray
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 01, 2009 - 1:00AM #3
Teka
Yep!  We will have a burning next Sunday.  I burn a lot during the year but doing it with others is so nice because you realize how much company you have in your quest  to clear the slate.

May everyone be blessed with spiritual gifts and all other good things this New Year.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2009 - 9:11AM #4
The_Eye_Am
Joseph and Teka,

Could you explain the burning bowl ceremony?  We've done burnings of forgiveness letters during retreats, but we have never had a burning bowl ceremony.  When you have the ceremony, how do you go about identifying the habits that you want to leave in the past and not carry into the new year? 

We had a workshop the second Saturday in December that is called "New Year, New Me".  It runs all day, and in the afternoon we work on creating image books for the new year.  The morning session is devoted to the "how" and "what" in setting goals, changing habits, etc.  We have this workshop every year, and the minister changes the approach for the morning session every year too.  It's a great workshop, and tonight some women from the church are getting together to complete our image books (the afternoon session in the workshop is rarely enough time to complete the book).

~Lori
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2009 - 6:03PM #5
TigersEyeDowsing
Lori, unfortunately I can't because I've never attended. The ceremony sounds wonderful though.  I haven't been able to be at church in about a year - I wonder if I can ever get back.  :o
Churchianity, by substituting creed for Christ and dogma instead of the divine facts of being, has stripped Love of her royal robes and has left her standing an unheeded beggar in the universe of God. - Rev. W. John Murray
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2009 - 12:30AM #6
Teka
Lori, your image book sounds a little like 'Treasure Mapping'. Years ago I bought about half a dozen of those books from Unity Press and gave them to all my friends.

Re: Burnings

Somewhere here we talked about the Hypatica Haasbrooke book " Handbook of Positive Prayer". When we do it in a group in church we pretty much follow her steps. There will be a couple of loose pages inside the Sunday program, one with the affirmations and instructions and one or two blank sheets. Our minister walks us through the steps and we take 5 or ten minutes of silence to write out what we want to burn covering each line as we complete it with one of the loose sheets. At the front of the church there is a smallish dutch oven sitting on a small table with a candle or two. We walk up there when we have it together and shred our sheet and light the pieces on the candle and drop them in the pot while we silently repeat whatever we need to say about releasing the feelings.

I don't think I ever did this quite right until I carefully read the instructions in the book. I think I just blocked what my minister said about what to write and not reading it. When I do it at home on the computer I cover my moniter with a silk scarf so I do not put back in my head what I am trying to throw out by editing my self. God knows what you mean and doesn't care if you misspell or miss words in a fit of emotion about the subject matter. For me a good burning is wonderful.

Another point I would make is that there is step where you ask your subconcious to reveal the feelings that are associated with the issue you are trying to release. You should write what comes to mind, even if it seems unrelated. You can practice this step a couple of times at home if you've never done it before and I believe that this prompting of the subconcious becomes much easier with a little practice. Mine has turned into a regular blabber mouth I use this technique so often. Or perhaps we have just become friends. Once a year is probably for those near sainthood. Not enough for me. I do burning any time I feel myself slipping into a mood for no apparent reason. LOL

If you would like an example of an exchange between me and my subconsious let me know.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2009 - 12:30AM #7
Teka
Lori, your image book sounds a little like 'Treasure Mapping'. Years ago I bought about half a dozen of those books from Unity Press and gave them to all my friends.

Re: Burnings

Somewhere here we talked about the Hypatica Haasbrooke book " Handbook of Positive Prayer". When we do it in a group in church we pretty much follow her steps. There will be a couple of loose pages inside the Sunday program, one with the affirmations and instructions and one or two blank sheets. Our minister walks us through the steps and we take 5 or ten minutes of silence to write out what we want to burn covering each line as we complete it with one of the loose sheets. At the front of the church there is a smallish dutch oven sitting on a small table with a candle or two. We walk up there when we have it together and shred our sheet and light the pieces on the candle and drop them in the pot while we silently repeat whatever we need to say about releasing the feelings.

I don't think I ever did this quite right until I carefully read the instructions in the book. I think I just blocked what my minister said about what to write and not reading it. When I do it at home on the computer I cover my moniter with a silk scarf so I do not put back in my head what I am trying to throw out by editing my self. God knows what you mean and doesn't care if you misspell or miss words in a fit of emotion about the subject matter. For me a good burning is wonderful.

Another point I would make is that there is step where you ask your subconcious to reveal the feelings that are associated with the issue you are trying to release. You should write what comes to mind, even if it seems unrelated. You can practice this step a couple of times at home if you've never done it before and I believe that this prompting of the subconcious becomes much easier with a little practice. Mine has turned into a regular blabber mouth I use this technique so often. Or perhaps we have just become friends. Once a year is probably for those near sainthood. Not enough for me. I do burning any time I feel myself slipping into a mood for no apparent reason. LOL

If you would like an example of an exchange between me and my subconsious let me know.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2009 - 5:45PM #8
The_Eye_Am
Thanks Teka!

The subconscious mind is such a powerful tool - for good or ill.  I've been reading some works by Dr. Joseph Murphy.  One that I particularly like is "The Dynamics of Mind."  I've found some powerful denials and affirmations in that book. There is also "The Power of the Subconscious Mind."  Another book that I just recently purchased is "Every Word Has Power," which is not written by Dr. Murphy.  I believe that the author is Yvonne Oswald.  She calls it the "unconscious" mind, and I substitute "subconscious" whenever I read it.  I think that subconscious is more appropriate.

I do have in my possession "The Handbook of Positive Prayer."  I'll have to take a look at it if and when I feel the need to do a burning.  If you want to share the dialogue that you have with your subconscious mind, I'm sure that it would be of benefit to those who read it.

~Lori
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2009 - 9:32PM #9
Teka
Well, just for an example while I was writing the previous post yesterday I thought of something I could ask my subconcious about that is current but not a crisis at the moment.

For a couple of days I have been thinking about making chicken and dumplings. Cold weather brings out the high calories at my house. One part of my mind says go for it and another says.....you know how you pig out when you make that stuff. And I do I eat until I am uncomfortable. I make a point to take all but a small amount of the leftovers around to other family members.

While I was typing I was thinking why not ask my obedient servant, buddy, SC about this......maybe there is something I can uncover about chicken and dumplings. So I paused, centered myself, and asked my buddy to bring to mind any memories about this food that I can use to help release my complusion.

Within a few minutes while I was still writing the post a memory of my grandmother dropping dumplings into boiling broth in her kitchen popped into my mind and I stopped for a few minutes to enjoy the reminesince. Suddenly I understood what was wrong with the memory for me now. My grandmother was very thrifty with compliments, she was just terribly reserved emotionally. The only time she ever praised me was for eating large quainties of chicken and dumplings. "She can eat as much as a grown man". Apparently this was an important key to our relationship. I wanted her approval.....this was the way to get it. No wonder I ate until I was as full as a tick. It was like the performance of a skill , I would do it until I heard the words. It would have been better if she could have said....." What a good job you did sweeping and washing off the porch. Thank you honey."

When I have information like this it helps me deciding what I want to affirm about the issue {overeating some foods} and the desire to release the need for approval of dead relatives. In this case it would also help me when I think on it for a few minutes what feelings and thoughts I can burn now because they no longer benfit the adult, {new creature} I am today confirmed and strenghtened in Divine Love.

This is not in any book I have read on this subject, but I will say that there was a time I was very reluctant to ask SC anything. It was hard to trust the process when I had memories that could throw me into a depression. Invoking God's presence, and affirming that because of it, no memory can harm me, (instruction from the book) has always make me think God would not permit me to see or remember anything that I am not spiritually ready to work on.

There is an important point made in the instructions. "something that was positive in the past can be inappropriate in the present." and very important, " errors are the thoughts, feelings, beliefs, and attitudes attached to the memories. The memories arenot errors; whether of actual or fictitious events, they are part of you past exerience, and they were recorded as you interpreted them." (That was hard for me to understand) "Even if you now recognize that your interpretation was a distortion, the distortion itself is a valid part of your past. The error lies in holding on to the particular thoughts, feelings, beliefs, and attitudes."

Don't ask me why but when I can discover these little uncomposted bits and pieces and work on them with burning or other spiritual tools it makes me happy as a clam. I look forward to stumbling over them. Makes me want to get out my wizard hat. I'm going to convert negative energy into something bright and sparkling. Whoopee! LOL I do have to get out the recipe and follow the steps but it just tickles my fancy.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 08, 2009 - 1:00AM #10
New_mnt_man
In Religious Science churches, (now commonly named Spiritual Centers by the way, I think so as to not scare people off from the clumsy name Religious Science,) there is a participation in a world meditation on new years eve which I think is for world peace, at the same time, so in Calif, that was 4am!  I don't know how many showed up at my Center as I didn't attend.  : )

But I did attend a cancle lighting service which was in the evening prior to or at the beginning of "The Holidays."
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook