Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
6 years ago  ::  Aug 21, 2008 - 1:51PM #21
Casstranquility
Hi, Stephen! :-) Thanks for your input. :-)
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2010 - 1:52PM #22
river8101

I have a cat who bites.  But she's not evil.  She does what cats do.  That's nature.  I've also had a cat that didn't bite.  That was her nature.  But the cat who bites was a stray we saved and gave a good home.  The first cat will never trust anyone that doesn't live here,  which is my 2 dogs, me and my husband.  When I care for my son's dog she hides in a big closet in a big room for as long as the dog  is here, though he's harmless. Could be as long as two weeks.  When the dog is gone, she comes out.  The other cat was brought up here as a kitten in safety and love.   She loved anyone who came here and all my dogs, even a new one.

I don't know what any of this has to do with pantheism, but I feel that some people who were brought up as Christians have a different paradigm of looking at pantheism than I do. They see it more as a religion, good/evil/God, etc.  I see it as a philosophy that has nothing to do with any of the religious attitudes.  It is Nature, pure and simple. 

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2010 - 7:30AM #23
river8101

" My religion," said Einstein, " is really the universe--in other words,  nature, which is our reflection of the universe." When asked if he believed  in God, Einstein answered "I believe in Spinoza’s God who reveals himself  in the harmony of all that exists." Benedict Spinoza (1632-1677), the renowned  philosopher of pantheism, held that God and Nature are one in the same. "I  am fascinated by Spinoza’s pantheism, but I admire even more his contribution  to modern thought because he... (dealt) with the soul and body as one, not  two separate things." Spinoza’s oneness of spirit and matter reinforced Einstein’s  search for a single unifying force in Nature known as the "unified field theory".

Well known followers of Pantheism are Einstein, Spinoza, and Carl Sagan, and many others.

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2010 - 2:08PM #24
river8101

My favorite pantheist was Carl Sagan.  I think God began long ago as an idea.  I'm not sure that real pantheists today believe in a god as described in religious books.  I know what it means in religion, but I don't think pantheism is exactly a religion.  I think for some it's a philosophy.  Many people  don't like the "trappings" of religion, the demands, the no's and the commands that to them don't make any sense, etc.  Therefore they call themselves pantheists, but they still may believe in their god as an "idea" with different meanings in different faiths. Certainly see little of it in the practice of some very religious people.  But the closest I can come to it is that the gods started as  ideas, to explain the workings of the earth, and those who lived upon it.  Gradually it morphed into explantions that there were or was somthing or someone who created and controlled all the life on earth, and that morphed into the idea of gods or God with their teachings and so called miracles.  These gods or God came about as cultures developed, therefore their gods or God reflected the culture of the people who essentially invented them.

Pantheism has no God or gods.  Pantheists believe that nature has been explained through the discoveries of science.   Scientists can explain much of what people could not begin to explain in bible days, yet most people still cling to their old beliefs in religion as told in their religious books. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook