Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
6 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2008 - 12:26PM #1
Casstranquility
Hello! :) I have been a Pantheist for approximately 3 years now, coming slowly out of Christianity. From my background in Christianity, there is definitely perceived evil. However, if All is God, the word evil doesn't fit anymore. Do we consider a part of God to be evil? If God is killing God back into God, is killing evil? I'm conditioned to believe in good and evil, but since I have become a Pantheist, there don't seem to be any lines between the two. They are relative to our judgments-there is no God determining them. Do you believe in good and evil as a pantheist? Do you see everything as a Divine play and hence there is neither good nor evil? Or do you believe in Good, and that evil is an illusion?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2008 - 6:28AM #2
TigersEyeDowsing
Cass,

In Divine Science, my preferred flavor of Pantheism, we don't believe in evil.  There is nothing but omnipresent God/Good; though people certainly commit evil acts.  People commit evil acts out of ignorance of their true self, divine good, and therefore don't act accordingly with who and what they they really are.  But when we're afraid, we have to remember that omnipresent God is everywhere, including with us in that moment, and all is really good.  You can change many dangerous and bad circumstances by that realization. :)

So evil is sort of like darkness; not really a substance or a power, just a lack of light, or illusion.  Whereas light is genuine power and substance with speed and energy. 

Love and Light,

Joseph
Churchianity, by substituting creed for Christ and dogma instead of the divine facts of being, has stripped Love of her royal robes and has left her standing an unheeded beggar in the universe of God. - Rev. W. John Murray
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2008 - 6:28AM #3
TigersEyeDowsing
Cass,

In Divine Science, my preferred flavor of Pantheism, we don't believe in evil.  There is nothing but omnipresent God/Good; though people certainly commit evil acts.  People commit evil acts out of ignorance of their true self, divine good, and therefore don't act accordingly with who and what they they really are.  But when we're afraid, we have to remember that omnipresent God is everywhere, including with us in that moment, and all is really good.  You can change many dangerous and bad circumstances by that realization. :)

So evil is sort of like darkness; not really a substance or a power, just a lack of light, or illusion.  Whereas light is genuine power and substance with speed and energy. 

Love and Light,

Joseph
Churchianity, by substituting creed for Christ and dogma instead of the divine facts of being, has stripped Love of her royal robes and has left her standing an unheeded beggar in the universe of God. - Rev. W. John Murray
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2008 - 6:16PM #4
bluehorserunning
Imnsho, there is no evil with respect to the universe, but there is evil with respect to humans.  In other words, every being on this planet could die and the universe wouldn't flinch much, but from our perspective as humans that same even would be a horrible tragedy (even if some of us survived in space ships or something).
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 26, 2008 - 10:46AM #5
Angel_Link
In theology you hear a lot about 'human flourishing' as the definition of good in the most simplistic terms and the concept of evil would be anything that does not pertain to this.

If the universe is God and everything in evolving it would make sense that the goal, so to speak, is to flourish, fulfill, and evolve. These things are not inherently good, but we assign value to it as being good and things like rape, murder, and other acts that prevent these things to be bad or evil.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 27, 2008 - 12:41AM #6
Redfrog777
Good and evil are all in your head.

Nothing in nature resembles the extremes of belief and behavior as are conceived of in the mind. Therefore good and evil exist only in the mind. And if good and evil are only to be found in the mind, both are therefore purely judgments on the part of the observer.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2008 - 12:47PM #7
mainecaptain

Redfrog777 wrote:

Good and evil are all in your head.

Nothing in nature resembles the extremes of belief and behavior as are conceived of in the mind. Therefore good and evil exist only in the mind. And if good and evil are only to be found in the mind, both are therefore purely judgments on the part of the observer.

Stop being so smart!:p  You are absolutely right IMO by the way:)

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2008 - 8:03AM #8
river8101

Hi Maine!  I've been a pantheist most of my life.  I think I was a pantheist when I was a child.  But I do think there is evil and there is good in this world.  Religions have precipitated  what is good and evil within their beliefs,  but that doesn't make it so , nor do I see it having anything to do with pantheism.    Pantheism stresses the positive aspects of life as part of nature.

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 15, 2008 - 3:09AM #9
taofornow
I think the concepts of good and evil have developed though our cultures over a very long period of time.  If any animal besides humans commit what we percieve as murder, rape, theft or other "crime", we see it as just a part of nature.  Because our societies are now constructed in different ways than the rest of the animal world, we have developed behaviors that are "good" or "evil" and react to them differently.   A major purpose of most religions is to regulate behavior through fear of retribution.  A more realistic way to regulate social behavior is to see how our actions impact our small and large communities, other living things, the planet, and the universe.  For example, we should not kill other humans, not because some big scary invisible dude in the sky will punish us after we are dead, but because it would be a waste of a living entity (we are not cannibals), and would emotionally harm anyone connected to that person.  If this type of behavior was taught from an early age, it might have a better impact than the silly gamble of "God is watching and will get you for that, but later, after you are dead, and if he exists, and if there is a heaven or hell."  Many religions, especially Christianity, have a negative style of motivation, whereas Pantheism (and Humanism, and many Pagan religions) have a life-affirming motivation.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 15, 2008 - 7:02PM #10
mainecaptain
Hello River nice to see you here. :)
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook