Switch to Forum Live View Visions, Signs, and Symbols
5 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2008 - 9:32AM #1
Kindred322
I am posing the question of visions, signs, and symbols because I believe that there are many intelligent and learned people on BN who may be able to provide some assitance in helping those Seekers to understand their experiences of these things.

And so, I will begin. I have always been Pagan at heart, despite growing up in the Christian church, and had many odd experiences growing up expect one that has recently come back to revisit me. Let me explain the first experience.

I was always exploring, running, meditating in nature (being that we have 1000 acres of farm and woodlands). And so, in one of my meditations high on a hillside where the rocks creep out of the soil...two very very large snakes which were entwined came off the top of the hill top towards me...this occurred right as I focused on the God and Goddess, the renewal of life (as it was about March just prior to sping equinox). It more terrified me, as I was taught to fear snakes b/c we have several venemous snakes in our area.

I gave it no more thought until this week as I went on a walking meditation through the nature preserve near our house. I was meditating on the Winter Solstice and the meaning of the renewal of life. The day was unusually warm for this time of year (ok I konw some would say it was hot but thats how it goes in Tx). IN any case, the memory came to me of the entwined snake and the symoblism of the God and Goddes, Renewal of life, the struggle of life/death and I thought...wow...was that a manifestation of the God and Goddess before my eyes? Upon my returning from my sacred place deep in the woods I hear a rustling off the trail...I had the gut feeling I needed to find out what it was. Again, it was two snakes entwined...not an hour after this memory and imagery came to mind. What is funny is my prayer that day was that the Goddess and God make themselves manifest to me in an experiential way. Is this coincidence? Its really hard to deny, for me. My thought was made manifest again at a time in my life when I was ready to accept the meaning. Hmm. Interesting how putting thoughts in words helps in its own right.

Anyways, My question is: doest anyone know about symbolism of two entwined snakes?

Many Blessings.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2008 - 1:57PM #2
EyesoftheWorld
Makes me think of Mercury's (Hermes') Caduceus (I think that's the correct spelling.) It happens to also be the symbol for Medicine!

There's an intense passage in William Gaddis' The Recognitions, in which a main character launches into a sermon about the connection between doctors, magic, medicine and thieves. I'll try to find it for you online or I'll just transcribe it for you.

The character in the book is an Xian minister whose wife dies from appendicitis on a ship when the ship's doctor was actually a forger fleeing prosecution. He couldn't help her, you see.

The book is about alot of things, but the overall theme is Forgery/Authentic. It touches Art, Religion, Money, Adoptive Families...

The Reverend's faith is fractured by the death of his wife and he becomes a Pagan, basically... he even pulls a Mithras and kills the bull he had owned after stalking it from a tree. He did it to save his son's life. The son is the main character. He's a master artist who can reproduce the styles and even the materials of the masters so he gets into creating "false originals".
What Fatal Flowers of Darkness Bloom from Seeds of Light!
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2008 - 1:59PM #3
EyesoftheWorld
The caduceus (☤) (/kəˈdjuːsiəs/, -ʃəs, -ˈduː-; κηρύκειον in Greek) or wand of Hermes is typically depicted as a short herald's staff entwined by two serpents in the form of a double helix, and sometimes surmounted by wings. In later Antiquity the caduceus may have provided the basis for the astrological symbol representing the planet Mercury and in Roman iconography was often depicted being carried in the left hand of the Greek god Hermes (Roman god, Mercury), the messenger of the gods, guide of the dead and protector of merchants, gamblers, liars and thieves.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 30, 2008 - 3:44PM #4
Skyshroud
I certainly think you're right to consider it beyond coincidence.  It could also be that you're meditation in effect, "summoned" the snakes to you in both instances, as per the like attracts like methodology, but as you somewhat feared them and were thinking God and Goddess only, I'd say that makes it even more verifiable (from a religious standpoint, an atheist or agnostic will of course say that the snakes just come out and breed this time of year and live in that general area, but most of them are biased anyway, and as for the agnostics that aren't, they lean toward not taking a definite view one way or another).
  So, yes this sounds like a big manifestation of you're desire and prayer/meditation, one you're very blessed to have happen.
  The snake and egg usually refer to the God and Goddess principals respectively in Gnostic, Alchemy, and other simply pagan traditions too, so it is very close to what you wanted, ans perhaps the God/Goddess were just showing you them both on equal (physically) trems, in the aforementioned representation scheme, the egg is feminine and the male snake is both pertecting it's life-force of creation and "fertilizing" the egg.  Sort of a cosmic creation idea.  Hope this helps.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 30, 2008 - 5:28PM #5
EyesoftheWorld
In my efforts to find a picture of the caduceus I found photos of statues of Mercury "making the caduceus", an act of which I had never heard before. I remember looking at pictures of at least two different ones. In both, he's placing the stick/wand sort of in the midst of the entwined snakes, which are on the ground. There may be a myth which details this event...
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2009 - 8:42AM #6
Kindred322
Many thanks for your help and affirmation of what my initial thoughts were regarding this event. I do feel very lucky to have been able to witnessed this event.

Many Blessings!!
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2009 - 1:33PM #7
Redfrog777
First I would worn “Be careful for asking for a vision, you may receive one”. That comes from direct personal experience. Now that you have had a vision what are you going to do with it?

As it goes for your experience with the snakes. I think that you can reliable fall back on to your own intuitions about what it may mean for you. BUT, you have to stop doubting that you have the answer.

“What is funny is my prayer that day was that the Goddess and God make themselves manifest to me in an experiential way.”

So now that they have showed up for you. What are you going to do with that? Were it me I would just take it as an indication that I was where I needed to be when I needed to be there. I would also acknowledge that my prayer and intentions were recognized in a way that I could relate to. And I would cherish the magick of such gift.

And yes I would give full credence to the fact that I live I an area that has a lot of snakes and it was hot and all that hoo haa. Cuz that’s all just part of the deal too.

Good on you Kindred322 that is a great gift manifest twice in a year’s time! Pretty cool if you ask me.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2009 - 3:57PM #8
EyesoftheWorld
Looking at the intertwined snakes as indicating Hermes, perhaps that was to either guide you towards Hermetic Philosophy or to reinforce, redouble or maintain your studies if you've already begun them.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook