Switch to Forum Live View "The Science of Mind" book
7 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2008 - 2:28PM #1
Jodi6759
I have been trying to read "The Science of Mind" by Ernest Holmes and I'm having a hard time trying to digest it.  Are there any other  books about Religious Science that are easier to understand?  I find myself zoning out when I'm reading it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2008 - 6:04PM #2
Flowupstream
"Living the Science Of Mind", also by Holmes but written many years later, is a much easier read.
There are also much shorter books by other authors which are excellent. Like "The Power of Decision" by Raymond Charles Barker.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2008 - 6:04PM #3
Flowupstream
"Living the Science Of Mind", also by Holmes but written many years later, is a much easier read.
There are also much shorter books by other authors which are excellent. Like "The Power of Decision" by Raymond Charles Barker.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2008 - 11:01PM #4
Just1dering
The Science Of Mind is a tough go at first.  There are quite a number of smaller works based on Dr. Holmes' essays.  One that I like is This Thing Called You.  I found a book edited by Jesse Jennings called The Essential Ernest Holmes a good introduction.  If you aren't intimitated by poetry the very best book by Ernest Holmes I ever read is the little known The Voice Celestial.  I also agree with flowupstream's suggestion.  Finally, if there is a Religious Science church near you, you might want to check out it's bookstore and get some recommendations from them.  They also likely offer classes to help you get used to Dr. Holmes' writing style and his basic ideas.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2008 - 11:22AM #5
WillSea
I know what you mean, Jodi.  I'm taking the SOM classes for the 2nd time, getting ready to TEACH it and still there are places where the writing seems disconnected. 

I agree that some of the smaller books by Holmes are clearer, more focused.  Creative Mind and Success, Words That Heal Today, and This Thing Called You, etc. 

if you want a simple, clear definition of how LAW works, Basic Principles of the Science of Mind by Frederick Bailes is the one I give friends who want to know more.

Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 04, 2008 - 11:40PM #6
jasannak
You think this one is a zone tosser...try Troward's Edibourough Lectures...that was the first class I ever took...be patient with yourself and read it the same way you would the bible...with your heart :)  Let go of the mind and let the heart take over.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 04, 2008 - 11:45PM #7
jasannak
Isn't it wonderful that Religious Science (Bailles) and Science of Mind (Holmes) are undergoing a reunification?  What a dynamic duo!
And I agree, Bailles is much more instructive.  I think Catherine Ponder is quite easy to digest as well even though she is a Unity writer and of course, Louise Hay is an RSI minister and her work reflects Holmes teachings as well.  The film You Can Heal Your life is a basic primer.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 09, 2008 - 1:44AM #8
Montauk109
This Thing Called You is pretty easy reading. Lot's of affirmations to work with too.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 26, 2008 - 2:12PM #9
RevDella
This Thing Called You is great.  So is Creative Mind and Success (this is my favorite and also Ernest Holmes' favorite).  Living the Science of Mind is a good choice because it breaks ideas down into easy to understand topics.

The SOM textbook was not written as a textbook, it was compiled as a result of Dr. Holmes' actual talks.  There are contradictions in the book that might be the result of Dr. Holmes' evolving consciousness.  If you want to fully understand the Science of Mind (SOM) textbook, you need to take classes.   This will give you the opporunity to ask questions and to learn how to embody the message.

If you have any specific questions about the teaching, feel free to ask.  I am a Religious Science minister.

Rev. Della
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook