7 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2008 - 10:11AM #1
Weeping_Willow1526
I love my country, but I don't always agree with it (or: hardly ever at all when it comes to politics). I am a Canadian and a couple weeks ago, I read an article in the paper stating that a man was getting a passport and put his place of birth as "Jerusalem, Israel". The government refused to put "Israel" and left his place of birth simply as "Jerusalem". Apparently, so the article said (something I was NOT aware of) that our government does not accept Jerusalem to be part of Israel. I was absolutely disgusted by this and I am quite ashamed at my government because of this! Any thoughts??
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 29, 2008 - 3:53AM #2
lexa_blue
My first thought on this is that you should check the sources.  This sounds absolutely absurd, enough so that I have a hard time believing it.  What newspaper did you read this in?  I am not Canadian, but that doesn't sound plausible from what I do know of Canadian politics.
Shalom,
Lexa
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 29, 2008 - 6:36AM #3
Bunsinspace
BS"D

WW,
Canada can be none too friendly at times, eh? :p

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/myths/canada.html

But don't feel so bad. At least they didn't embark on an genocidal campaign against their natives. And if we're comparing evil to evil the good ole' USA may recognize Jerusalem, Israel but as the USA is permanently in bed with Saudi Arabia which sponsors terror and antisemitism worldwide with oil money, we cannot exactly say that Canada's neighbor to the South is exactly the best thing that ever happened to the Jewish people either. Being a patriot does not mean being a blind supporter of evil - a person can be proud of their nation and always work to keep it on the up-and-up. It's OK to be ashamed for the evil that your nation does, but don't stop there -- work to change it as a responsible citizen and keep your pride in self and country. ;)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2008 - 11:32AM #4
NahumS
Write to your MP.
My three youngest were born in Jerusalem and when we went to the US consulate (not embassy, but consulate) to have birth certificates issued, they came back with "US consulate, Jerusalem". Not "Jerusalem, Israel". And guess what the documents issued elsewhere in the world include?
A friend of ours tried to sue the State dep't, but it didn't work.
Remember "the man without a country"? Well I have three boys without countries, according to the US gov't.
So write to your congressman.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2008 - 12:38AM #5
NaftaliNZ
Wow - I always thought of Canada as such a fair unbiased country too!

This all goes back to the "big plan" of making Jerusalem an "international city".  Oh sure - that would please the Christians and the Muslims.  With their sticky little fingers.  Let's not forget that it was JEWS who built the city in the first place!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2008 - 1:52AM #6
nieciedo
[QUOTE=NaftaliNZ;328552]Wow - I always thought of Canada as such a fair unbiased country too!

This all goes back to the "big plan" of making Jerusalem an "international city".  Oh sure - that would please the Christians and the Muslims.  With their sticky little fingers.  Let's not forget that it was JEWS who built the city in the first place![/QUOTE]

Well, technically it was the Jebusites...David conquered it from them and made it his capital.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2008 - 1:07PM #7
Weeping_Willow1526
[QUOTE=lexa_blue;321642]My first thought on this is that you should check the sources.  This sounds absolutely absurd, enough so that I have a hard time believing it.  What newspaper did you read this in?  I am not Canadian, but that doesn't sound plausible from what I do know of Canadian politics.
Shalom,
Lexa[/QUOTE]

It was from a well-known and respected newspaper.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2008 - 3:52AM #8
lexa_blue

Weeping_Willow1526 wrote:

It was from a well-known and respected newspaper.

Sorry Willow, I didn't mean to question your credibility, just....wow, that is nuts!  I thought that this kind of crap didn't happen in Canada....it's supposed to be us in the US screwing up international policy.
Shalom,
Lexa

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2008 - 12:45PM #9
Weeping_Willow1526
[QUOTE=lexa_blue;338420]Sorry Willow, I didn't mean to question your credibility, just....wow, that is nuts!  I thought that this kind of crap didn't happen in Canada....it's supposed to be us in the US screwing up international policy.
Shalom,
Lexa[/QUOTE]

I was shocked as well, and completely disgusted that Canada decided to take that position. It quite angers me!  :(
Shalom,
~Willow~
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook