7 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2008 - 3:39PM #1
trekfan8705
The only Gnostic community that exists in my area is a Lodge of AMORC, "Antiquus Mysticusque Ordo Rosæ Crucis", or in English "Ancient and Mystical Order of the Rosy Cross", or Rosicrucians.

Has anyone here ever had any experience with Rosicrucians, or does anyone know anything about them?  There is also a Lodge of the Theosophical Society in America about an hour from me.  I'd also be interested to know if anyone here has ever had any experience with them.

Peace, everyone!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2008 - 5:21AM #2
revtroy
I wouldn't call either group Gnostic. But either would welcome you as a Gnostic.

I have known a number of Rosicrucians, they tend to be much more esoteric than Gnostic in their approach and focus. There are a lot of esoteric  teachings, but no focus on Gnosis.

I also know a few TS members. There are actually two TS groups in the US. Again, they have much more of an esoteric approach and focus. The national headquarters in Wheaton IL, has sponsored online lectures on Gnosticism. HPB wrote on the ancient Gnostics. And there are continued ties between modern Gnostics and TS. But, Gnosticism isn't their focus and hour drive is a bit much.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2008 - 9:48PM #3
trekfan8705
[QUOTE=revtroy;314265]I wouldn't call either group Gnostic. But either would welcome you as a Gnostic.

I have known a number of Rosicrucians, they tend to be much more esoteric than Gnostic in their approach and focus. There are a lot of esoteric  teachings, but no focus on Gnosis.

I also know a few TS members. There are actually two TS groups in the US. Again, they have much more of an esoteric approach and focus. The national headquarters in Wheaton IL, has sponsored online lectures on Gnosticism. HPB wrote on the ancient Gnostics. And there are continued ties between modern Gnostics and TS. But, Gnosticism isn't their focus and hour drive is a bit much.[/QUOTE]

Hi Revtroy!  Thank you for the response.

Do you think you could elaborate on the difference between esotericism and gnosticism?  The thing is, there are no actual Gnostic religious groups anywhere near my area.

Also, have you ever heard of Stephan Hoeller?  He started the Ecclesia Gnostica, and I believe he is also a member of the Theosophical Society because several of his books are published by Quest Books (an imprint of the Theosophical Publish House), and he has also given lectures which are available in the audio/video library section of the Theosophical Society in America's homepage.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 27, 2008 - 4:21AM #4
revtroy
Greetings,

The esoteric approach is concerned with symbolism, correspondences, and symbolic/metaphysical interpretations in their own right. There is a tendency to find one answer and stop, and also a tendency to be satisfied with an intellectual answer or an answer from one teacher. Such groups haven't really ever appealed to me personally. There is overlap with Gnosticism, but in exploring such things from a Gnostic perspective they are not taken as answers or final, and the purpose is to attain a deeper understanding and growth--Gnosis.

Dr. Hoeller is one of the Theosophists that I meant when I said that I know a few.  :) I have known him for years as my bishop, mentor, and friend. I serve as a priest in the Ecclesia Gnostica.

There are some free lectures and writings of his available at gnosis.org. And many more lectures available at bcrecordings.net.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2008 - 1:05AM #5
trekfan8705
[QUOTE=revtroy;316704]Greetings,

The esoteric approach is concerned with symbolism, correspondences, and symbolic/metaphysical interpretations in their own right. There is a tendency to find one answer and stop, and also a tendency to be satisfied with an intellectual answer or an answer from one teacher. Such groups haven't really ever appealed to me personally. There is overlap with Gnosticism, but in exploring such things from a Gnostic perspective they are not taken as answers or final, and the purpose is to attain a deeper understanding and growth--Gnosis.

Dr. Hoeller is one of the Theosophists that I meant when I said that I know a few.  :) I have known him for years as my bishop, mentor, and friend. I serve as a priest in the Ecclesia Gnostica.

There are some free lectures and writings of his available at gnosis.org. And many more lectures available at bcrecordings.net.[/QUOTE]

I don't know much about Rosicrucianism at the moment.  As for the Theosophical Society in America, based on everything I have read on their website, and the several Theosophical books that I have read, the emphasis is on personal experience and no one is asked to believe anything based on hear-say.  I.e. there is no doctrine.  Only basic tenets put forward to be possibly confirmed through personal investigation.  That's why I said in my opinion the Theosophical Society is essentially a Gnostic organization.

The Ecclesia Gnostica seems very interesting.  I wish there were a group around here.  Do you happen to have MSN, Yahoo, or AIM messenger?  I would like to chat with you sometime about the Ecclesia Gnostica and what exactly the religion means to youl.  I have been to the website at gnosis.org before, but I find most of it very difficult to understand.  If you would like to chat with me on IM sometime, send me a private message and let me know which IM clients you use.

Thanks and take care!
- Steven
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2008 - 2:26AM #6
revtroy
Yes, and as far as I know both groups have a similar approach. But there is much more to Gnosticism than not being asked to believe a bunch of things, or being expected to accept a specific doctrine as truth. Gnosis is a path, or method, to liberation. And, Gnosticism is a specific (though broad) tradition.

I don't have any chat setup. (I just don't care for them.) You are welcome to email me. My email address is available at http://gnosis.org/saltlake or at  http://gnoscast.blogspot.com. (I don't like to put it on the web in text format)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2008 - 7:12PM #7
Bob_Bennett
[QUOTE=revtroy;319087]Yes, and as far as I know both groups have a similar approach. But there is much more to Gnosticism than not being asked to believe a bunch of things, or being expected to accept a specific doctrine as truth. Gnosis is a path, or method, to liberation. And, Gnosticism is a specific (though broad) tradition.

I don't have any chat setup. (I just don't care for them.) You are welcome to email me. My email address is available at http://gnosis.org/saltlake or at  http://gnoscast.blogspot.com. (I don't like to put it on the web in text format)[/QUOTE]

I have studied a book entitled "The Secret Doctrines of the Rosicrucians" several times.   It is fascinating and well worth the read.  But it doesn't have any connection to Christian Gnosticism.  If it is the latter that you want, then study the Gnostic Gospels and the Gospel of Thomas.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2008 - 7:12PM #8
Bob_Bennett
[QUOTE=revtroy;319087]Yes, and as far as I know both groups have a similar approach. But there is much more to Gnosticism than not being asked to believe a bunch of things, or being expected to accept a specific doctrine as truth. Gnosis is a path, or method, to liberation. And, Gnosticism is a specific (though broad) tradition.

I don't have any chat setup. (I just don't care for them.) You are welcome to email me. My email address is available at http://gnosis.org/saltlake or at  http://gnoscast.blogspot.com. (I don't like to put it on the web in text format)[/QUOTE]

I have studied a book entitled "The Secret Doctrines of the Rosicrucians" several times.   It is fascinating and well worth the read.  But it doesn't have any connection to Christian Gnosticism.  If it is the latter that you want, then study the Gnostic Gospels and the Gospel of Thomas.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook