Switch to Forum Live View Making a choice between Bahai and Mormon
6 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2008 - 9:31AM #1
Javidite
I come from a heritage of devote Bahá'í and LDS (Mormon) ancestors. My paternal great grandmother was a devote Bahá'í who became a soldier of Bahá'ulláh by pioneering in Switzerland and a Native Indian reservation in Canada. She left a wonderful legacy in my family.
Likewise, my maternal grandparents converted to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints when my mother was eight years old. As I have grown up, I have had the need to determine which religion I would be a part of. In essence, I had to determine which religion was in fact the truth.

Traveling and Learning
Growing up with a LDS mother, I have had the opportunity to learn much of the LDS religion. I have been to several general conferences of the church as well as visited the many historical sites of the LDS church in New York, Ohio, Illinois and Utah. I have read the Book of Mormon and attended many LDS meetings. Likewise, I have also been intrigued by the Bahá'í faith. I have studied it personally, visited a Bahá'í house of worship in Wilmette, IL and I have even had the opportunity to visit the Bahá'í World Centre in Haifa, Israel.

Similarities
It is very interesting to note that both religions have striking similarities. Common ties include the concept of continuing revelation, prophecy, and new holy scripture
revealed to the prophet/founder. The doctrine of God-given freedom of man, the absence of professional paid clergy, the emphasis on the importance of education and work, and the adherence to codes of health that prohibit the consumption of alcohol and drugs. The founders: Joseph Smith (founder of the LDS church) preceded the Bab (founder of the Bahai faith) by only a few years, and like the Bab he met the violent death of a martyr at the hands of a rioting mob. Both religions suffered much persecution.

While having great respect and honor for both religions (and all other religions, as they help people come closer to God and thus become better people) I had the need to find out for myself which religion God would have me follow. I needed to find the truth.

Being taught from a young age that prayer is the way to communicate with the Lord, I prayed with the question in my heart to know which religious path would lead me to the truth I was seeking.  Following much prayer, I first gained a testimony of the Savior Jesus Christ. My testimony is not just that Christ was a prophet but that He was and is truly the first begotten Son of God and the Redeemer of all mankind. I learned by prayer that He atoned for my sins and I knew I must follow His commandments.

I then prayed to know if the Lord really came to Joseph Smith and told him to start the LDS church. When I prayed and asked I felt the spirit of the Lord in my heart and warmth overcame me in my chest. To me that was my answer. The Lord told me that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true and I know that I should do all I can to support and follow the church's teachings. It is not an easy thing to do but I do my best out of love for my Savior who atoned for my sins.
It surely isn't easy to be a member of the LDS church. There is much that is required of each person who is baptized into this faith. It takes great faith and sacrifice. The way I sustain my faith is the same way my faith began. By prayer.
To anyone searching between religions, my experience tells me God answers sincere prayers. I encourage you to pray with specific questions in your heart. If you pray with a sincere heart, with nothing wavering and with the faith that He will answer your prayers, He will make the truth known unto you by the power of the Holy Spirit.

I blogged more about this at http://bahaiandmormon.blogspot.com/
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2008 - 11:33PM #2
Javidite
You are right, this isn't the place to be sharing my story. I tried to delete my post but could not find a way to do so. I saw that you (world citizen) are the moderator. Would you delete my post for me.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook