Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
6 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2008 - 7:04PM #1
bqrs641
Is it ok for non-catholics to pray the rosary?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2008 - 7:04PM #2
bqrs641
Is it ok for non-catholics to pray the rosary?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2008 - 8:34PM #3
REteach
Praying the rosary is not magic.  It is a meditative prayer.  The words are repetitive so the person saying the rosary can contemplate the mysteries, such as the virgin birth or the crucifixion.

In other words, yes, it is OK. Besides, it is mostly the Lord's prayer and the Annunciation, both of which are from the Bible.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2008 - 8:43PM #4
tawonda
Speaking as a non-Evangelical visitor -- I think you'd do better to ask your question on one of the general forums or the Traditional Christian forum, because I suspect that most of the regulars here are either unfamiliar with the rosary or have uninformed opinions about praying the rosary.

Many people of various Christian traditions pray rosaries of one kind or another. (I personally have a hard time balancing the "centering prayer" aspect of the Western rosaries with meditating on the Mysteries -- to me it's like rubbing my tummy while patting my head.;-)) The Eastern Orthodox use a simplified rope with knots or beads to pray the Jesus Prayer -- "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner." There's an increasing interest in this and the Western rosaries among Anglicans and Lutherans; because we can get uncomfortable with the Marian emphasis of some of the more popular RC rosaries, there are several rosaries going around these days with a Christocentric focus. If you Google "Protestant rosary," "Anglican rosary" or "Lutheran rosary" you'll find some of these prayer guidelines.

Speaking as a Lutheran -- praying a rosary, like any other kind of spiritual discipline, is adiophoric, meaning that you are free to do it or not as you like. One caution in any system of fixed prayer is to not think of it as some sort of magickal formula, where the more you pray the more points you score with God. That is not what any of the rosary systems are about. (Protestant misunderstanding and RC folk superstition to the contrary.) If the rosary helps you center your thoughts, meditate upon the life of Christ and nurture the rest of your prayer life, then that's a good thing; go for it. If it's not feeding you spiritually, then there are many other types of prayer and meditative disciplines that might be more helpful to your spiritual life.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2008 - 9:14PM #5
tawonda
The Bible doesn't mention anything about doing theology online either, POC, yet here you are.

Fixed prayer, including recitation of the Psalms and the Sh'ma, the ancient Hebrew affirmation of faith, has been a part of Jewish worship from the git-go. Jesus grew up worshipping in this way, and certainly worshipped this way as an observant Jew. There's nothing wrong with fixed prayer.

And, speaking as a Lutheran, the "sola Scriptura" folks -- "sola Scriptura" is a miserably misunderstood concept among the spiritual children of the radical wing of the Reformation. What it DOESN'T mean is that if it isn't explicitly commanded or recommended or mentioned in the BIble it must be forbidden. This is not what Luther and his associates meant by "sola Scriptura"; what they were referring to was in matters of faith/doctrine/the nature of God, if Church tradition -- which is not a bad thing in itself -- develops that contradicts the witness of Scripture, then Scripture trumps tradition. Two very different concepts.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2008 - 10:47PM #6
tawonda
Honey, Luther was a Christian before and after 1518.

But thanks for providing the perfect illustration of why the original poster should ask his/her question on one of the other Christian forums, where people are both knowledgeable about and respectful of the topic in question. I'd direct him her to the Anglican/Episcopal, Lutheran or Traditional Christian forums.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2008 - 11:11PM #7
davelaw40

tawonda wrote:

The Bible doesn't mention anything about doing theology online either, POC, yet here you are.

Fixed prayer, including recitation of the Psalms and the Sh'ma, the ancient Hebrew affirmation of faith, has been a part of Jewish worship from the git-go. Jesus grew up worshipping in this way, and certainly worshipped this way as an observant Jew. There's nothing wrong with fixed prayer.

And, speaking as a Lutheran, the "sola Scriptura" folks -- "sola Scriptura" is a miserably misunderstood concept among the spiritual children of the radical wing of the Reformation. What it DOESN'T mean is that if it isn't explicitly commanded or recommended or mentioned in the BIble it must be forbidden. This is not what Luther and his associates meant by "sola Scriptura"; what they were referring to was in matters of faith/doctrine/the nature of God, if Church tradition -- which is not a bad thing in itself -- develops that contradicts the witness of Scripture, then Scripture trumps tradition. Two very different concepts.

Yet Jesus warned against repetitive prayer

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2008 - 12:45AM #8
Anesis
I don't know of any Evangelical Christians who pray a rosary - or any other repetitive prayer...simply because it seems more about repetitious ritual rather than relationship. I speak to God like he is my Father, and I would not even consider repeating myself word for word a fixed number of times to my father.

Praying rosary is not an Evangelical practise.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2008 - 6:46AM #9
tawonda
Yet Jesus warned against repetitive prayer.

Jesus warned about prayer engaged in for the wrong reasons...like making public demonstrations of piety in order to demonstrate how holy and righteous one was, vis-a-vis all the "sinners."

Not that Evangelicals would ever engage in that type of behavior either.;-)

And then there's the whole speck/log thing.

Anyway, I've directed your questioner to more appropriate forums, so I'm done here. Cheers!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2008 - 1:47PM #10
REteach
Again, it is really not the words that are the prayer.  The words just provide a background.  I really hate to use the word "mantra" because I know it will be misunderstood, but that is kind of the idea. Repeating the words provides a calming background to put oneself in touch with God and contemplate how God interacts in the world.  It isn't really a prayer in itself. It might be more like playing religious music in the background while you talk to God.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook