Switch to Forum Live View Marriage to one of another Islamic sect
6 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2008 - 2:04PM #1
Strong_In_Faith
As Salaamu Alaukim

I am experiencing a little unrest in my marriage and I need some advice. Just to quickly get to the point,  I was raised as a Muslim and I have been married for almost 5 years. My husband was introduced to Islam through the teaching of Minister Farrakhan and took his shahadatain before we married. I was felt as though this step was a way of denouncing some of the questionable ideologies of the NOI.  He fufills his responsibilities as a Muslim, like praying, fasting, zakat, reading the Qu'ran etc, but he still is an active member of the NOI. 

I am a little confused.  I don't want to divorce, because it is hated by Allah...but I don't want to be married to someone who does not fully believe as I. Is it wrong to expect levels of belief to be on the same playing field?Sometimes I feel like I am judging him......when I know Allah is the ultimate judge.

Your feedback is welcomed!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 27, 2008 - 12:45PM #2
Ceren
Assalamu `alaykum,

There are some things that you need to consider:

NOI is not an "Islamic sect". NOI is a different religion all together. NOI are not Muslims, in the same way that Bahais are not considered Muslims. The  very basic principles of NOI are actually unislamic.  The fact that WD Fard was something like God incarnate goes against the main principle in Islam, which is tawheed. They also have some racist principles who are obviously against Islam.

So having said that, there are certain things that you need to think about and also I guess any decision would depend on whether you have children or not.

Are you OK with being married to a non-Muslim? Even though you practice different religions, are you able to share certain aspects of the faiths, for e.g. pray together, fast together? That would be a huge plus.

Do you mind having religious differences? Are you willing to wait and see if he ever comes to Islam?

On a personal level, I think that it's hard to find a good God-fearing husband. If I had one like that, even if our religions were not exactly the same, I would be willing to wait and maybe try to see if little by little I can bring him to the fold of Islam.

All the best,
Ceren
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2009 - 3:47PM #3
mmustahsan
I am in full agreement with the writer of the post above. Nation of Islam has little to do with the true Islam. The right way for you will perhaps be to tell him to convert to the true version of Islam or get seperated as this relationship is haraam and you (I am sorry to say) are living in an illegitimate relationship from Islamic point of view. However, much will depend upon the strength of yor Imaan (faith). God my bless you with something far better than this relationship if you put your faith in Him.                    And Allah knows the best!
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook