Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The Secret and Witchcraft.
7 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2008 - 7:29PM #1
Dogmafreehappily
I recently read the book, "The Secret". Anyway it's pretty much your thoughts create everything that happens in your life. It literally has stories of how people attracted a million dollars by simply thinking. So whenever I close the book, I think: if that's true, then is Witchcraft really useful? If your thoughts can get you anything you want, simply by thinking, doesn't it become a bit pointless of doing spells? Or is spellwork ALL Witchcraft is? Is there more to Witchcraft itself than spellwork?

Explain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2008 - 7:14AM #2
CreakyHedgewitch
[QUOTE=Dogmafreehappily;287020] Or is spellwork ALL Witchcraft is? Is there more to Witchcraft itself than spellwork?[/QUOTE]

Yes there is more to Witchcraft than just spellcraft. You can even be a Witch and never do spellcraft at all.

It depends on how you define witchcraft and sometimes even how you define magic and spellcraft.

C.H.
No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 18, 2008 - 8:34AM #3
Dogmafreehappily
[QUOTE=CreakyHedgewitch;287790]Yes there is more to Witchcraft than just spellcraft. You can even be a Witch and never do spellcraft at all.

It depends on how you define witchcraft and sometimes even how you define magic and spellcraft.

C.H.[/QUOTE]

What is Witchcraft if it doesn't involve spellwork?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 18, 2008 - 5:58PM #4
CreakyHedgewitch
[QUOTE=Dogmafreehappily;296148]What is Witchcraft if it doesn't involve spellwork?[/QUOTE]

Witchcraft (in this case, just the modern Craft) may be defined:

As a verb, an activity, a process, as in the act of acquiring and using Knowledge, developing and using Disciplines and mastering and using Skills. These typically pursued and mastered within the Craft come from the broad spectrum of what has been labelled as Neo-/Paganism and/or adapted and borrowed from indigenous practices labelled as witchcraft. 

Knowledge: Natural Sciences and History at the very least but life long studies in any and all areas that one is drawn to. (i.e. Archaeology, Palaeontology, Anthropology, Comparative Religions….) The history and diversity of Neo-/Paganism (however you define it) and of the breadth of what has been labelled as witchcraft, before and after its redefinition in circa 1930’s. The origins or potential origins and evolution of the various Disciplines and Skills that one includes and also those one doesn’t.  Sources of Knowledge include first hand practical experience, transformational spiritual events, second-hand interaction with others and third-hand references such as books and websites. If one also defines the Craft within the context of a religion, it involves life long studies again and specifically the history of one’s Religion and Tradition if one has one, it’s mythology, sacred calendar and the knowledge that comes from the experience of participating in that calendar’s events. It can also include understanding the depths and challenges of moral guidelines and laws (Spiritual, Practical and within Group), creation and participation in rituals and group dynamics/leadership experiences.

Disciplines: (apart from spellcraft and magic) Energy Work, Focusing, Visualisation, Mediation, Shielding, Dreams, what I call Wholeness of Health (physical, mental, emotional, spiritual), Practice of Psychic Skills for Self-awareness and Healing work in whatever area one has Heightened Awareness, (through Divination, Tarot, Astrology, Past Life Work), Chakras and Auras. There is also a Discipline to recording one’s Books and organising one’s studies whether one is self-taught or not, a teacher or a student learning from a teacher/Elder. Within a Religion, a Witch would enact disciplines such as Daily Practice, Calendar Observances (keeping the Esbats, Greater and Lesser Sabbats), as well as using a Witch’s Discipline to enact one’s Religion.   

Skills: Organisation, Self-Awareness on the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual levels, the use of Focus, Visualisation, Mediation, Psychic/Heightened Awareness, Healing Techniques, Herbs and Divination Techniques. Many Witches practice at least one form of healing work. Also becoming skilled in interpretation through the experience of working with Chakras, Auras, Dreams, Ritual and Shielding and Handcrafting. In a religious framework, skills also involve creating and enacting Ritual, Focus, Group Dynamics and Leadership.

Does that help?

C.H.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2008 - 7:20PM #5
Diarmuid
The Secret was something old put into a new format. Magicians have been stating the same things for hundreds of years. All The "Secret" is, is the Hermetic Law of Attraction in a nice pretty book...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2008 - 10:57PM #6
gorm_sionnach
[QUOTE]May I add know what you are and what you have..........
all road if pursue with honesty lead to,knowlege.with knowlege come control,with control power and I would ask what is the most basic power. any sugestion?
love
origianl angel [/QUOTE]

While your question has a lot more insight into the development of modern magick and spell work than you may be aware.

The notion of controlling the energies with spell work, many would consider an undesirable vestige of ceremonial magick. Many do not seek to control the various energies they work with, but to work in harmony and attune themselves with those energies, as opposed to trying to force those energies to do their will. Albeit it many do still think of spell work as simply trying to force their will over the various natural energies, and manipulating them for what ever specific intent they want. This is sort of the "goal oriented" aspect of spellwork, getting what you want.

Many, especially those more learned and attuned will not force their will, rather they would blend or mesh their will with energies, for mutual benefit. This is a more of a spiritual aspect of spellwork.

Though that's a bit of a short answer, I'll admit, I hope is gives some insight:D
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2008 - 12:38PM #7
itty

Original angel wrote:

The above is a basic general answer it does not answer my question which go toward the orientations of what amongst all want are the one which will bring more benefit. or what are the basic powers...
original angel

I'm not gorm but I must admit to being confused by your answer to him. What orientations amongst all are you referring to? All? How can all of us want the same thing? What are you meaning by basic powers?

I just can't figure out what you are talking about and I very much would like to. If you could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2008 - 8:11PM #8
Sacrificialgoddess
Why The Secret is crap.   Thank's Deo's shadow!  :D
Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2008 - 3:59PM #9
CreakyHedgewitch
I realised that I never responded to this. My apologies.

May I add know what you are and what you have..........

Well put.

all road if pursue with honesty lead to,knowlege.with knowlege come control,with control power and I would ask what is the most basic power. any sugestion?

Empowerment.

…my question which go toward the orientations of what amongst all want are the one which will bring more benefit. or what are the basic powers...

Depends on the person.
Depends on each situation.
Depends on the magical system being utilised.

Probably not the answer you are seeking anymore than Gorm’s excellent description.

I don’t believe you are going to find ‘a’ answer unless you create your own. For you. For each situation. For and within the framework of whatever system you utilise.

C.H.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2008 - 4:00PM #10
CreakyHedgewitch

CH may ask as well what do you know of the conditional chackra or center I ask this because of your mentioning of chackras and working with them being part of.

Usual spelling is chakra, minus the optional c.

Some systems utilising chakras use the concept of conditional vs unconditional love attributed to different chakras. I don’t utilise this concept but is that what you mean?   

C.H.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook