Switch to Forum Live View Difference between Gnostic Christianity and Christian Mysticism?
6 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2008 - 3:08AM #1
Pickles_and_relish
Hello.

I have studied gnostic Christianity for several years and am curious as to what the difference between Gnosticism and Christian mysticism is. I hope to convert to Catholicism, but I love the teachings of Gnosticism as well. The only reason I am debating with become catholic is the fact that Gnosticism has long been considered a heresy.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2008 - 11:02PM #2
SeraphimR
[QUOTE=Pickles_and_relish;835591]Hello.

I have studied gnostic Christianity for several years and am curious as to what the difference between Gnosticism and Christian mysticism is. I hope to convert to Catholicism, but I love the teachings of Gnosticism as well. The only reason I am debating with become catholic is the fact that Gnosticism has long been considered a heresy.[/QUOTE]

The primary differences between a classical Gnostic and a classical Christian spirituality are:

(1) Gnostics believe we each contain a "Divine Spark" while Christians believe we are not.

(2) This "Divine Spark" is to be liberated from the gross physical body, while Christians believe that the Holy Spirit is to be infused in our physical body, which is resurrected on Judgement Day.

(3) Gnostics hold themselves as supreme authorities while Christians hold the Body of Christ (i.e. the Church) as the supreme authority)\.
People with a mission to save the earth want the earth to seem worse than it is so their mission will look more important.

P.J. O'Rourke
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2008 - 11:54AM #3
peterthesplitfish
Shalom SeraphimR,

Let me also add that the true Gnostics the Nazirenes/Ebionites where followers of Yeshua and TheWay.

They knew that Yeshua was not G-d the Heavenly Father/Mother but the church of Constantine turned Yeshua into the Jesus/god that permeates the church doctrine and dogma of today.

Ebionite means 'poor ones' not in the sense of money or material things but poor to the world meaning that they were not caught up in the organic nature of man on earth what Paul called "natural man" or Plato called "tyrannical man".

Gnostics primary goal is to achieve oneness with self or the soul-self often referred to under various names such as the Christ, Logos, Teacher of Righteousness, soul-self, Son of Man, etc. These are essentially the same that is the undying true image of self that is unbegotten from the beginning.

Gnostics taught soul-rebirth not to be confused with the elementary understanding of reincarnation.

Gnostics like Yeshua strive to become one with the Royal Laws through the Tree of Life. All things taken from the New Testament by the church of Constantine but not forgotten by the true Gnostics.

Gnosticism is not a religion. It is a way of living the example of the Laws through one's life or various lives until one reaches Omega or the final life which brings about the final Sabbath or rest from soul-rebirth.

Yeshua was the first to achieve oneness with the Laws and he achieved oneness with his soul-self and therefore no longer needs to return to the great school ground of the Earth.

The church of Constantine focuses primarily on itself and its survival by keeping teachings from the flock. They hold in their library many of the teachings of disciples of TheWay who achieved high levels of self-awareness of true consciousness. Many of these texts were deemed heretical by the church and either burned or buried.

Matthias, the Elder, a 4th century Ebionite helped the Ebionite communities of the Middle East bury seven libraries throughout their old communities.

Two of these libraries have been found already and are a bone of contention in the church community as a whole especially the Gospel of Thomas.

The church took out many many passages from the New Testament and rewrote many others to fit their mindset and limited understanding of TheWay.

Constantine built the city of Nazareth so that there would be a place he could call home to his god, Jesus. Before that there was no town of Nazareth. Nazirenes are individuals who take a vow which includes being a vegetarian, not cutting one's hair, living a life of poverty to the world, and living the Law through every action.

Often the Ebionites were accused of being confrontational because the Law dictates that if questioned about TheWay of the Law they must defend their beliefs. There is no room for idleness in TheWay.

The church teaches that there is a heaven and a hell. The Gnostic did not knowing that what Yeshua referred to as Satan was simple the Lefthand of G-d or the Laws returning upon an individual in need of correction, i.e. natural consequences for one's actions (eye for and eye sort of stuff). Hell is what Yeshua referred to in his parable of the Prodigal Son as the "far country" which is Earth. The Old Testament is similar only the Jew is the son and the "wilderness" is the "far country". So in essence we are living in our own hell of our own making by what we choose to do or not to do in accordance with the Royal Laws. One must "work" as James put it in his letter to overcome our own organic limitations.

The church teaches that if you simply come to communion, say some prayers, and confess a few sins, you will go to heaven. Heaven does not exist  because we come back to achieve perfection then finally rest in the realm of souls. Only then does one begin to know G-d and vice versa. This is not at all what the church leads one to believe now is it?

Paul said that those who follow TheWay are often referred to as "foolish" because the organically minded of the earth do not have any idea what truth is. Paul also said or warned that those who believe the written word as fact suffer through "the letter that killeth" by killing the bodies connection to the soul-self. The word is allegory done so because the Gentiles of the world can not handle the truth until they become the "good ground" from the Parable of the Sower.

One must realize that as the Yeshua and the Gnostics taught, the body is a temple and we are all gods, but most fall short of this because we go into the "wilderness" or "far country" and forget who we truly are while here.

There is more, but that is for the individual to figure out in this great big school house called earth.

Peter M.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2008 - 3:35PM #4
KnowledgeRises
[QUOTE=Pickles_and_relish;835591]Hello.

I have studied gnostic Christianity for several years and am curious as to what the difference between Gnosticism and Christian mysticism is. I hope to convert to Catholicism, but I love the teachings of Gnosticism as well. The only reason I am debating with become catholic is the fact that Gnosticism has long been considered a heresy.[/QUOTE]

thats a good question.
the difference for me lies in the fact that everyone is a divine fragment of God.
and so has the freedom to pursue his or her own truths as they see fit,
without religious dogma trying to interrupt or convert their own precious altar of truth.

FREEDOM ABOVE ALL>
and of course the belief in a ALL=LOVING CREATOR.
both Father and Mother God.

thats my view
take it or leave it.  :)

steven
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 27, 2009 - 3:40PM #5
Xianmyst
May you ever find the stillness and stay present,
Be careful and realize that the forces of this earth are bound and
That those of power and greed and wealth will not be present with you.

As you travel through this life unfolding your purpose,
Casting joy and assisting others into the Peace,
Let your soul surround those unfortunate egos.

For it is through you that the Spirit
May work to give them peace from the binding forces
Of the regretful emotions and ego from which they suffer.

Remember the prison from which you were freed, and have compassion for them,
And grant them forgiveness, praise, appreciation, assistance, and loving care
For it is through your acceptance, enjoyment and enthusiasm they may awaken.

And may you often find others which have traveled the path,
And let your soul and the other’s become one.
Know that the oneness of yourself and the other is true love, true care, and true compassion

It is as if you are coming home and are embraced by the Peace.
You are aligned with the Spirit and
A conscious participant in the unfolding of a higher purpose.

Holy Shekinah, God the Mother
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 11:45AM #6
Greatest I am

Pickles_and_relish wrote:

Hello.

I have studied gnostic Christianity for several years and am curious as to what the difference between Gnosticism and Christian mysticism is. I hope to convert to Catholicism, but I love the teachings of Gnosticism as well. The only reason I am debating with become catholic is the fact that Gnosticism has long been considered a heresy.

Christians seek a miracle working super God.
Gnostics know that God is more of a cosmic consciousness that we can all tap into after gnosis is attained.
The ancients called themselves Gnostic Christians because they used the old Judaic writings to argue and discuss religious maters from this starting point. They in no way read these literally as the Orthodox did.

Our God is a more natural evolution where we all meat after death.

The Orthodox never followed their own Bible that says--

1 Corinthians 13:11
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

We did.

Regards
DL

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 25, 2012 - 10:49AM #7
catholicmama

This is an old thread, but I thought I'd chime in since I studied a form of gnosticism for a number of years.

I think the main difference can be summed up very easily. The difference between Christian mystics and gnostics is that gnostics do not believe in the literal death and resurrection of Jesus. They also do not believe in the resurrection of our bodies. Christians, who are also mystics, do.

1 Cor. 15:12-17

12 But if it is preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13 If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. 14 And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. 15 More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised. 16 For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either. 17 And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. 18 Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. 19 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook