Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Unity Daily Word and SOM Daily Guides
10 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2008 - 5:53PM #1
Phyllizz
I subscribe to both Unity's Daily Word and also Science of Mind magazine that has the Daily Guides. Does anyone else read any of these? I was just wondering because there is a difference between the two and I can't put my finger on it. Daily Word seems to have a compassionate, warm tone to it, while SOM guides are very, very good but seem more cold. Just wondering why I have that reaction. Thanks, Phyl
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2008 - 8:36PM #2
Teka
Let's face it, how something is said resounds differently with different people.  As Joseph commented about the writings of  Quimby, he likes the language. 

It  reminds me of ACIM which some years ago some of us at our Unity  formed a group to study.   It  was a rewarding experience don't get me wrong, but there was a feeling that the text was just difficult.  My understanding is that  The Quest was written to address the idea with  different wording. Haven't studied that yet.  Some people must have an intellectual presentation of ideas and some must have a simpler heart felt presentation. 

When we  were doing ACIM we got two or 3 videos by a man named Tara Singh ( hope I got the name right), he put me to sleep,  My apologies, but Depak Chopra puts me to sleep too.   There is a tendancy to ask  questions and not answer them,  with the assumption that you must have got it  unless you were like me, asleep.  LOL . It's just the teaching style.

For me that  is the  whole point of being here, listening to different people mostly  talking about the same thing.  I'm always looking for that moment when I can say, "Ah.....when you put it that way I see  what you mean."

Sometimes  you learn the new language, sometimes it just  remains 'jargon'  for which you can't find a glossary.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2008 - 11:46PM #3
Phyllizz
"Some people must have an intellectual presentation of ideas and some must have a simpler heart felt presentation."
This statement  made me realize something - when things are going well in my life the intellectual presentation as you put it - is what I gravitate to. However,  if I'm going through a rough time then the simpler heart felt presentation is what I need. Thanks for helping me clarify my feelings. Phyl
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 04, 2008 - 12:28AM #4
TigersEyeDowsing
Human consciousness is such a funny thing! ;)  That's why I prefer Unity/DS over SOM in general; SOM is more intellectual, while Unity/DS is more of a lovey, let-me-hug-you-and-tell-you-how-wonderful-you-are feel.  Both have their place, but in general I'm a more hugging person. :)

Teka, you are a blast. I always enjoy reading your posts.  A lot of the 'teachers' today put me in zzz state. :D

Light,

Joseph
Churchianity, by substituting creed for Christ and dogma instead of the divine facts of being, has stripped Love of her royal robes and has left her standing an unheeded beggar in the universe of God. - Rev. W. John Murray
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 04, 2008 - 12:49PM #5
The_Eye_Am
Hey Joseph,

Watch it, I'm a teacher and I'm going to come down there and wake you up! 

It's funny, I have heard the opposite description of Science of Mind - that it's too huggy/touchy/feely.  At least the one that is in the same area as my church.  Many people would probably describe my Unity church as being too intellectual, but there really is a balance of the heart and the mind there, and it works beautifully because of that balance.  To me, that is what Unity is all about, and when you have your heart and mind balanced, life seems to work, doesn't it?

~Lori
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2008 - 12:23AM #6
Just1dering
[QUOTE=Phyllizz;262144] there is a difference between the two and I can't put my finger on it. Daily Word seems to have a compassionate, warm tone to it, while SOM guides are very, very good but seem more cold. Just wondering why I have that reaction. Thanks, Phyl[/QUOTE]

While I can't say what you are reacting to.  I can say that it seems to me that Unity's Daily Word is written with an intention to be an inspirational interpretation of Christian Scripture.  The Daily Guides in The Science of Mind Magazine are written by a different minister in one "branch" of Religious Science each month.  Some Religious Science ministers emphasize the impersonal action of Mind.   So depending on what month you are reading the tone and tenor is somewhat variable.  It could be that is what you are feeling.

In later posts folks are sharing their experiences of the emotional tones of various churches.  My experience is that spiritual communities like people tend to have "personalities".  I suspect it is not so much the teachings themselves that determine this, but the make-up of the various members of the communities.  All New Thought teachings have intellectual, analytical tendencies, but they also all have an understanding that God is Love.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2008 - 1:42AM #7
TigersEyeDowsing
[QUOTE=The_Eye_Am;263597]Hey Joseph,

Watch it, I'm a teacher and I'm going to come down there and wake you up!

..*snore*... *mumble*...No...I wanna ride the pony...mmff... *SNORT* -- *sits up* WHA WHAT? HI LORI! :D Yes I'm up! :D

It's funny, I have heard the opposite description of Science of Mind - that it's too huggy/touchy/feely.  At least the one that is in the same area as my church.  Many people would probably describe my Unity church as being too intellectual, but there really is a balance of the heart and the mind there, and it works beautifully because of that balance.  To me, that is what Unity is all about, and when you have your heart and mind balanced, life seems to work, doesn't it?

~Lori[/QUOTE]

I think Jim is right, it's all about the composition of folks gathered under one roof.  To me, balance is best; the "Middle Way".

Churchianity, by substituting creed for Christ and dogma instead of the divine facts of being, has stripped Love of her royal robes and has left her standing an unheeded beggar in the universe of God. - Rev. W. John Murray
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2008 - 2:32AM #8
Teka
Our   former Unity minsiter would give you the  phone number of the  local SOM minister so you could get information about their  metaphysics classes.  Our choirs have joint Christmas programs.  We are  in a medium  sized town in the Bible Belt surrounded by a lot of people who are pretty quick to point out that we are a 'cult'.  When I first moved here I had a couple  of people at work  that were so concerned about  my meditation that they offered to put me in  touch with  a minister who wanted  to exorcise me.  Bless their hearts they are probably still  praying for me.

Thank you Joseph  for your kind  comments, I hope I can keep you smiling. 

I think I have noticed a difference in Unity  members in  so far as there are a lot of people who are really leaning more toward New Age than New Thought.   When  you meet someone who is 3rd or 4th generation Unity and has usually spent sometime at Unity Village you do get a more conservative vibe.  They generally will not engage  with  you in conversations abour grounding, channeling, crystals,  and smudging with  sage.  However they may talk a bit about reincarnation,  and other things that might  have been New Age 40 years ago. I makes me feel good that we investigate new things like ACIM.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2008 - 10:37AM #9
Phyllizz
"While I can't say what you are reacting to.  I can say that it seems to me that Unity's Daily Word is written with an intention to be an inspirational interpretation of Christian Scripture. "

Thanks for your explanation. It now makes sense to me. Phyl
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2008 - 5:58PM #10
The_Eye_Am
Hey Joseph,

Are you familiar with the routine from Cheech and Chong with the nun and the classroom?   class.........class.....class......CLASS!!! 

Stay awake, and pay attention now!

I'd keep you awake, as we have fun in my classroom at most times!

Peace and blessings,
Lori
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook