Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: Good UU Books
6 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2008 - 11:36AM #1
lotusflower16
Does anyone know some good books with good information about UU?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2008 - 3:14PM #2
DotNotInOz
Are you wanting introductions to UUism mostly? If so, I offer a couple of recommendations below. Otherwise, say more, please, about just what it is that you need, and I'm sure I can suggest titles as I read quite a lot on Unitarianism and Universalism both historical and contemporary.

As a very complete basic introduction, I'd recommend this source which covers just about anything a newcomer might want to know about Unitarian Universalism: http://www.uunashua.org/100quest.shtml

As you can see on the site, it's also a file or hard copy book that you can read as you find time. The book itself is readily available from Amazon as well as the UUA Bookstore online. If there's a UU church near you, they may have copies available to borrow. My church's membership committee offers copies at the guest registry table at services.

If you want something representing the views of their faith held by two noted UU's, then the book A Chosen Faith by John Buehrens and Forrest Church would be my other suggestion. It doesn't explain what UUism is and how it differs from other faiths as much as demonstrate what these two UU's believe, consistent with the UU Principles. The book is organized as a back-and-forth discussion between the two men about each of the Principles. It, too, is available from Amazon, the UUA Bookstore and often at large chain bookstores. Costs around $15.00 for a large paperback.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2008 - 9:46PM #3
lotusflower16
Thank you so much! you've been a great help
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2008 - 6:07AM #4
DotNotInOz
You're very welcome!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2008 - 2:14PM #5
Compmaster
what if i wanted to read about the history of it....begginings and history.... what books could i look into?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2008 - 6:08PM #6
bob2
I reccomend "THe  Unitarians and the Universalists" by David Robinson. Unfortunately it's not cheap. See if the church library has a copy.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2008 - 7:24PM #7
DotNotInOz
The Larger Faith: A Short History of American Universalism by Charles A. Howe.
American Universalism by George Huntston Williams
The Epic of Unitarianism: Original Writings From the History of Liberal Religion by David B. Parke [as may be evident, this is a collection of representative writings with commentary by Parke. It's well done, IMO, but may not be what you're wanting.]
A Stream of Light [Unitarianism] edited by Conrad Wright

These are all fairly short books. They're almost all $16 for a quality paperback and all are available from the UUA Bookstore online.

If you don't have access to a good UU church library that has them, you might consider joining the UU Church of the Larger Fellowship, the online church primarily for those too far from a church or fellowship to make participation workable. CLF offers a 3-month trial membership that includes borrowing privileges from its extensive library. I'd bet the CLF library has most if not quite all the above titles.

UU Church of the Larger Fellowship <----click here to get to the website.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2008 - 10:50PM #8
Compmaster
i cant borrow from the church...because i dont get 2 go to church......im 15 and the only one in my family thats UU.....and the nearest church is 20 min away, so my mom wont/cant take me every week....i really really wanna go...but unfortunently i have 2 wait another 8 months to get my license so i can drive myself.....

where can i get some? (books)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2008 - 10:52PM #9
Compmaster
ok thnx!!

although i cannot borrow from the church....cause i cant go 2 church.....only one in the family thats UU and i cant drive yet
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2008 - 7:12AM #10
DotNotInOz
If your parents don't object, call the church, explain your situation, and I'd be surprised if you can't arrange for someone to come by for you so that you could go to services and probably the teen religious education group besides.

As for borrowing the books that interest you, a sympathetic librarian will work out a way if the church's library has them. UU's are generally quite willing to loan church library books to people interested in our faith. You might also ask if your public library can get them for you by interlibrary loan.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook