Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: UU Community Coffee Hour
6 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2008 - 8:57AM #1
AintKatie

bob2 wrote:

Oh geeze!
I said I was quoting Ain't Katie when I really was quoting DotNotInOz!
Sorry , Sorry, Sorry

[QUOTE]I'm still working on this quote thing. The way I do it now seems ok, but it's incredibly tedious. There HAS to be a better way![/QUOTE]

that was a test...i mean that, right up there...points to the line right above this one   ;)

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2008 - 11:24AM #2
DotNotInOz
A tip on quoting something. If you don't want to mess with the quote or multi-quote buttons, simply cut and paste onto the reply screen what you want to quote. Then, type {quote} (with regular square brackets) at the beginning and {/quote} at its end.

Personally, I find hitting the quote button simpler. That way you've got the entirety of someone's posting to work with. You simply delete what you don't want and insert the quote commands around the part you wish to quote. Add your remarks, and then put another "{quote}" at the beginning of the next segment of the OP to which you want to reply, "{/quote}" at its end, and so forth through the posting. Preview and correct the commands as necessary. I typically forget the slash on the end-quote command and wonder why most of the rest of the posting is incorporated in the quotation.

Multiquote is really handy if you want to reply to several postings without doing a separate response to each. Just hit that button below each posting, and they'll all appear on the reply screen where you can delete the irrelevant then segment and reply to the portions of concern to you.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2008 - 12:17PM #3
Jcarlinbn
For general merriment, networking, and any off topic niceties.
Jcarlinbn, community moderator
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2008 - 12:41PM #4
DotNotInOz
Thanks, jcbn, semi-exalted hostish personage.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2008 - 12:42PM #5
Jcarlinbn

DotNotInOz wrote:

Personally, I find hitting the quote button simpler. That way you've got the entirety of someone's posting to work with. You simply delete what you don't want and insert the quote commands around the part you wish to quote.

The big advantage of using the quote button is the automatic link to the whole quote for context.

Add your remarks, and then put another "{quote}" at the beginning of the next segment of the OP to which you want to reply,

There is an easier way. Just highlight the text you want to quote and click on that little yellow sticky note next to the # up at the top.

The little blue ball a few icons to the left is the link maker. Again highlight the text you want to be the link, click on the blue ball and paste the link into the box. The default color of the link makes it invisible so I use the "A" next to the font bar to change the still highlighted link text to blue.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2008 - 12:49PM #6
AintKatie

jcarlinbn wrote:

The big advantage of using the quote button is the automatic link to the whole quote for context. [QUOTE]Add your remarks, and then put another "{quote}" at the beginning of the next segment of the OP to which you want to reply,

There is an easier way. Just highlight the text you want to quote and click on that little yellow sticky note next to the # up at the top.

Yeah! I got that one a little while ago. See? Old dogs CAN learn new tricks!
[QUOTE]
The little blue ball a few icons to the left is the link maker. Again highlight the text you want to be the link, click on the blue ball and paste the link into the box. The default color of the link makes it invisible so I use the A next to the font bar to change the still highlighted link text to blue.
[/QUOTE]

I think I tried that once, but you're supposed to type in the link addy and I never get those straight. What I do instead is highlight and copy the page addy I want to link to and then paste it into my post. (I know "addy" isn't the word, but keep forgetting what it is.) Seems to work ok..and I can be sure the link is correct.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2008 - 12:51PM #7
Jcarlinbn

DotNotInOz wrote:

Thanks, jcbn, semi-exalted hostish personage.

And thank you Dot, for all you do to keep the UU boards lively and informative. 

jcarlinbn

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2008 - 12:54PM #8
DotNotInOz
The above is why B-net needs a link at the top of each forum or prominent on the homepage for easy reference to a list of such how-to's. A list of commonly used acronyms such as ROFL, etc. would also be helpful for those new online.

I'd never realized what all those arcane little symbols above the reply screen did! Kept wondering, in fact, how people did a link with their own title acting as the link text.

On to a comment clearly relating to the thread title, how very much I appreciate that my church's coffee is the fair trade brand sold at church. It's really great tasting...as long as you get it right after it's perked and not after the service when it's sat for an hour and gotten bitter. I sure wish we had one of those drip coffeemakers with a constantly heated reservoir so that coffee could be freshly made quickly. (But then, that would hardly be in keeping with our push toward being designated a green sanctuary, unecological as keeping a reservoir of water heated simply for coffeemaking convenience is!) I've gotten so spoiled by having a good drip coffeemaker with espresso maker that I can hardly stand perked coffee anymore, especially when people don't know to remove the grounds basket as soon as the coffee's ready.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2008 - 12:55PM #9
Jcarlinbn

AintKatie wrote:

I think I tried that once, but you're supposed to type in the link addy and I never get those straight. What I do instead is highlight and copy the page addy I want to link to and then paste it into my post. (I know "addy" isn't the word, but keep forgetting what it is.) Seems to work ok..and I can be sure the link is correct.

You are almost there.  just paste that addy into the link box over the default HTTP:

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2008 - 12:58PM #10
DotNotInOz

jcarlinbn wrote:

And thank you Dot, for all you do to keep the UU boards lively and informative.

jcarlinbn

Aw, gee, thanks for saying so.

That's the nicest way I've seen for saying that I obviously have little or no life as much time as I spend writing lengthy postings and starting provocative threads, eh? ;):D

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook