Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
Switch to Forum Live View Gods and Immortals -- an agnostic view
6 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2008 - 4:06PM #31
EyesoftheWorld
It was nothing
What Fatal Flowers of Darkness Bloom from Seeds of Light!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2008 - 12:59PM #32
MengTzu
I hope the readers of the thread didn't get lost in the foregoing discussion.  Let me bring the thread back to the original focus for the people reading this thread.

My original point in a nutshell is that I don't believe in personal, anthropomorphic gods (or "ren ge shen" in Chinese).  What I'm suggesting is the symbolic and representational value of "shen xian" (roughly translated as "gods and immortals," though "shen xian" are not exactly the same as "gods and immortals") in certain contexts including metaphysics, cosmology, and meditation.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2011 - 1:16PM #33
Eisenhans

Jan 28, 2008 -- 7:31PM, MengTzu wrote:

We agnostics do not actually have to believe in immortality itself.  We can view it symbolically: that it is a state of being in this life consisting of absolute non-action, quietude, and peace.  Thus, gods and immortals may also serve as mental imageries of our goal in this life, of achieving a sublime state of mind during this life.

No, a Taoist Immortal does not live a life of non-action, quietude, and peace.  They are joyful, active, vibrant beings (so, not disposed to "non-action"), laughing a great deal (as they have a fantastic sense of humor!) -- so not exactly "quiet" either, haha!  Peace is half-way correct.  They will fight very effectively against evil when they feel they need to.  They are far from being hip push-overs. 

Eisenhans

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2011 - 1:18PM #34
Eisenhans

Oct 20, 2008 -- 5:04PM, EyesoftheWorld wrote:

I just try to shed light.

What is this "light" you mean?

Eisenhans

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4