Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View advice please where to mailorder lulav sets
6 years ago  ::  Sep 07, 2008 - 5:12PM #1
Pam34
Usually I order them either through my synagogue (which means, they have to be re-shipped from the shul to me, adding to the time necessary to receive it) or else I buy through Eichlers or through Steve Herman at the Sukkah project. No big deal, BUT this year I need to order three sets and I've been asked to save money as much as possible -
the sets through my synagogue are cheapest - okay, LEAST EXPENSIVE - but as I said, slower, possible late? and besides the other recipients aren't members. Eichlers and Steve are both a bit over budget - not prohibitively so, but still more than they would like to pay.
I found a source online with sets much less - but I've never ordered from that place before -
so -
who has a good reasonable source? that you'd recommend? with sets available in the $35 - 45 range, ideally?

There IS no 'local source' - the nearest market likely to have a lulav set would be LA, which is 700 miles away. It has to be mail-order and the shipping costs can't be so high as to make saving on the actual purchase price a moot point.

anybody?
I want to order by next Friday if possible.
Blessed are You, HaShem, Who blesses the years.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 07, 2008 - 7:43PM #2
ffb
Strangely enough, I have had success with ebay (2 yrs ago) -- reasonable enough set. True, you don't get to choose the exact lulav you want but the esrog was fine and the hadassim and aravos were the same sets in plastic you get anywhere.

You can find all sorts of sellers on line and just look for one which gives a range of prices and qualities (i usually go for the middle -- above chinuch but below muvchar min hamuvchar). do on ethat is affiliated with a seforim store you have heard of.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2008 - 8:48AM #3
Bunsinspace

Pam34 wrote:

Usually I order them either through my synagogue (which means, they have to be re-shipped from the shul to me, adding to the time necessary to receive it) or else I buy through Eichlers or through Steve Herman at the Sukkah project. No big deal, BUT this year I need to order three sets and I've been asked to save money as much as possible -
the sets through my synagogue are cheapest - okay, LEAST EXPENSIVE - but as I said, slower, possible late? and besides the other recipients aren't members. Eichlers and Steve are both a bit over budget - not prohibitively so, but still more than they would like to pay.
I found a source online with sets much less - but I've never ordered from that place before -
so -
who has a good reasonable source? that you'd recommend? with sets available in the $35 - 45 range, ideally?

There IS no 'local source' - the nearest market likely to have a lulav set would be LA, which is 700 miles away. It has to be mail-order and the shipping costs can't be so high as to make saving on the actual purchase price a moot point.

anybody?

BS"D

Also check out your local Chabad house.  Many of them have online forms to order a set.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2008 - 8:48AM #4
Bunsinspace

Pam34 wrote:

so -

anybody?

BS"D

Also check out your local Chabad house.  Many of them have online forms to order a set.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2008 - 12:36AM #5
Pam34
My  'local chabad house' is also more than 250 miles away. That's not any better than through the shul.

Mailorder will have to be the way to go. I was hoping somebody had experiences (good or bad) with some specific places.

Google search gives me lots of options for mailorder - but not much info on reliability and quality!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2008 - 8:57AM #6
Bunsinspace

Pam34 wrote:

My 'local chabad house' is also more than 250 miles away. That's not any better than through the shul.

Mailorder will have to be the way to go. I was hoping somebody had experiences (good or bad) with some specific places.

Google search gives me lots of options for mailorder - but not much info on reliability and quality!

BS"D

Ouch, sorry.  I always ordered mine through a local schul, so I have no experience with mail-ordering the set.  I just thought the Chabad online ordering was a kind of neat innovation, but it is impractical in this case.  My apologies.  Imagine a Jewish community with the nearest Chabad house 250 mies away.  They're slipping.  ;)

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2008 - 11:17PM #7
Pam34
In this case, I myself am 'the local Jewish community' such as it is. We want three sets. I know it isn't a big order, but it is pretty important to us!

It would be better for the sets, and easier for us, to have them sent directly here, rather than routed through a city three hundred miles away and then reshipped.

I'll got with my usual source, I suppose - they are a little pricier than I told people, but if necessary, I will 'eat' the difference myself. I just don't want to try a place that I am not already familiar with, or one that cannot be vouched for by somebody.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 11, 2008 - 12:44PM #8
lauramushkat
since your shul sells them you can not ask them!

Unless you have a local Chabad you will have to go on the internet and order them.

no magic bullett

there are many kinds and many prices so get the kind that is suitable for the user!!!

this is a result of having to live in a place where you are seperated from other Jews and sources.
some people make the sacrafice to live nearer for this very reason!  different strokes!

SUGGESTION:  go to the internet and then ask Jewish people you know or come on here and see if anyone has used any of the sources you picked.

good luck

hugs
Laura
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 11, 2008 - 8:55PM #9
ffb
I looked online -- the ebay auction was from a place on Long island. The auction seemed reasonable enough (37 or so bucks plus 10 S+H) but I figure, Eichlers is 50 total and I've heard of them, so I'm going with Eichlers.

The basic set

http://www.eichlers.com/Product/Holiday … xgodQVjFWw
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 12, 2008 - 1:33AM #10
Pam34
Thanks ffb. That's the kind of thing I was looking for - and I've bought other stuff from Eichlers, so they aren't a 'stranger'.

there are over fifty Jews around here - the fact that three families want to spend money on a lulav this year is a testament to our program: ten years ago only one family bought anything for Sukkot, and fifteen years ago, nobody had even HEARD of a lulav. We will have (very likely) eight or ten families present for a potluck dinner in ONE of the Sukkot that will be built in this town this year - I think there will be four, possibly five, constructed - and the three families who are digging into their pockets will bring and share their lulav and etrog with all the others.

Personally, I can't stand large cities. I can't even stand SMALL cities! They are disgusting to me. I hate noise. I hate crowds. I hate the SMELL. I can't understand why anybody would even want to live in a city, but clearly, quite a lot of people do. I feel very sorry for them. Cities are all right to visit, I suppose. To each their own.
I like it fine here. We don't lock our doors unless we are going out of town. We know all our neighbors. We can see the stars right down to the ground at night. There is always something going on, and we usually know somebody who knows somebody who's involved in each activity. We have a college, a museum, a bookstore - granted, only one of each! but we do have them! Kids join 4H and Scouts and play soccer and football and compete in rodeo or swimming or track. It's a fine place. Big enough - and not too big.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook