Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Euthanasia for people
6 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2008 - 3:39PM #11
Jcarlinbn

heretic0 wrote:

I would have to say no to euthanasia. I do not want someone making that choice for me.

I have no problem with euthanasia if and only if there is informed consent of the patient, either in advance through a Medical power of Attorney, or in person if in the opinion of the medical ethics staff and the family the patient has the ability for informed consent. 

Second party decisions for euthanasia are immoral in all cases except when the second party is a committee of doctors and medical ethicists dealing with a patient in severe pain and without an MPA. 

Jcarlinbn, community moderator
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2008 - 12:19PM #12
popescreek
[QUOTE=rbchaddy2000;231725]What do you think about euthanasia as a viable alternative for thr terminally ill, or for those who are severely damaged cognitively for example dementia?[/QUOTE]

As for euthanasia, I think we should be more concerned with the youth in America, our own country.  Other that that , I would categorically be for youth everywhere
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2008 - 12:22PM #13
popescreek
[QUOTE=jcarlinbn;286365]I have no problem with euthanasia if and only if there is informed consent of the patient, either in advance through a Medical power of Attorney, or in person if in the opinion of the medical ethics staff and the family the patient has the ability for informed consent. 

Second party decisions for euthanasia are immoral in all cases except when the second party is a committee of doctors and medical ethicists dealing with a patient in severe pain and without an MPA.  [/QUOTE]

But I have been noticing that more and more  I see youts from Asia in this country, so maybe we should be more concerned with youth in Asia
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2008 - 12:19PM #14
popescreek
[QUOTE=rbchaddy2000;231725]What do you think about euthanasia as a viable alternative for thr terminally ill, or for those who are severely damaged cognitively for example dementia?[/QUOTE]

As for euthanasia, I think we should be more concerned with the youth in America, our own country.  Other that that , I would categorically be for youth everywhere
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2008 - 12:22PM #15
popescreek
[QUOTE=jcarlinbn;286365]I have no problem with euthanasia if and only if there is informed consent of the patient, either in advance through a Medical power of Attorney, or in person if in the opinion of the medical ethics staff and the family the patient has the ability for informed consent. 

Second party decisions for euthanasia are immoral in all cases except when the second party is a committee of doctors and medical ethicists dealing with a patient in severe pain and without an MPA.  [/QUOTE]

But I have been noticing that more and more  I see youts from Asia in this country, so maybe we should be more concerned with youth in Asia
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2008 - 2:41PM #16
voluptuary1
Only as a last resort: partly because I don't trust health care administrators("Consider the financial burden you could be saving your children, Ms. Pauper..."), partly because people should take a moment to say goodbye before they die.

That said, if your physical suffering is beyond endurance, then it should be your choice whether to bear it--not mine, not the state's, not your HMO's, nor family, friends, or strangers. But you should do it in a way that respects those who love you.

I don't want to give doctors a "slaughter at will" card, but if I have an honest relationship with my doctor, I want to be able to say "Doc, enough of this." and have my doctor hear me and act.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2008 - 5:38PM #17
grampawombat
Oregon has a law that allows for physician assisted suicide in cases of terminal illness. I'm not one to cite data on such things, but my impression is that the law has worked well and has not been abused. Maybe someone could look it up.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2008 - 12:03AM #18
mountain_man

grampawombat wrote:

Oregon has a law that allows for physician assisted suicide in cases of terminal illness. I'm not one to cite data on such things, but my impression is that the law has worked well and has not been abused. Maybe someone could look it up.

First voluntary euthanasia should be defined. I found this:
Advocates of voluntary euthanasia contend that if a person

(a) is suffering from a terminal illness;

(b) is unlikely to benefit from the discovery of a cure for that illness during what remains of her life expectancy;

(c) is, as a direct result of the illness, either suffering intolerable pain, or only has available a life that is unacceptably burdensome (because the illness has to be treated in ways that lead to her being unacceptably dependent on others or on technological means of life support);

(d) has an enduring, voluntary and competent wish to die (or has, prior to losing the competence to do so, expressed a wish to die in the event that conditions (a)-(c) are satisfied); and

(e) is unable without assistance to commit suicide,

then there should be legal and medical provision to enable her to be allowed to die or assisted to die.

([COLOR="Blue"]source[/COLOR])

The highest number of those whose death, in Oregon, that came about by physician assisted suicide was for the year 2002 - 38 people.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2008 - 3:10AM #19
Blü
I find that on the rare occasions I walk through OPHs, the smell of urine and linoleum and the sounds of dementia are not only depressing, but distressing because they're totally vain, excuses for avoiding the obvious.  We sooner afford large storage bins for the still-ticking bodies of individuals whose mental life is already over than do what we'd do for our pets.  It's not just the breathtaking cost of such squeamishness, it's the pointlessness of it.

If I ever get to that stage, I very sincerely trust someone will quietly slip me the needle.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook