6 years ago  ::  Aug 29, 2008 - 10:48PM #1
Feinics
Just throwing out a question to try n stir up some action here ...:)

What to you are the core values or ethics within the Celtic religions?

And do you have any difficulty applying them to your daily life within the context of modern culture?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 21, 2008 - 8:46PM #2
Diarmuid
I think this article by Erynn Rowan Laurie would be appropriate here.

http://www.seanet.com/~inisglas/ethics.html
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 21, 2008 - 11:43PM #3
gorm_sionnach
Personally, truth and integrity are quite important to me. I also believe that being honest and acting with integrity is something that everyone is capable of doing.I believe that acting right because one believes such actions are right, rather than out of fear of reprisals or punishments for not being ethical... This is one of the aspects which drew me to CR , I like the fact that CR has a value positive ethic system (again, Erynn Roawan Laurie's terminology).
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 21, 2008 - 8:46PM #4
Diarmuid
I think this article by Erynn Rowan Laurie would be appropriate here.

http://www.seanet.com/~inisglas/ethics.html
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 21, 2008 - 11:43PM #5
gorm_sionnach
Personally, truth and integrity are quite important to me. I also believe that being honest and acting with integrity is something that everyone is capable of doing.I believe that acting right because one believes such actions are right, rather than out of fear of reprisals or punishments for not being ethical... This is one of the aspects which drew me to CR , I like the fact that CR has a value positive ethic system (again, Erynn Roawan Laurie's terminology).
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 05, 2009 - 6:46PM #6
Raven.beliefnet.com

As a practitioner of traditional Paganism, I feel that the core values of the Celtic religions are wisdom, hard work and diplomacy.  Although I am not a Neopagan, I do understand the core of your being.  I feel that we need to reconcile with the religions of the past and be prepared for the future ahead.  Since many of these respondants are Celtic Neopagans, it would be a blessing to discuss Celtic Christianity and other Celtic religions.  May you be blessed.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 05, 2009 - 8:24PM #7
gorm-sionnach

What pray tell is this traditional Paganism you keep refering to? Reconstructionism is not a neo-pagan religion, or methodology, it is in its own catergory, and is only neoPagan in the sense that it shares much of the developmental history of the modern pagan movement.

To claim that your religion is Paganism means what exactley?

Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 28, 2010 - 2:29PM #8
Bairre

We don't really know.  The Druids were exterminated and persecuted buy the Romans and later by Christians.  They spent 20 years of their lives devoted to learning the lore and values and plants and such and because of that, they didn't need to commit these teachings into writing.  Which is truly unfortunate for us.

I suppose that some things might be gleaned from that in and of itself.  Dedication to what you do, perhaps keening the mind and devotion to learning, learn what can be used for your personal good as well as the community.  Read the lore, the pieces that have survived, and histories and see what they tell you.  I read them and see that courage is important, in the face of insurmountable odds, like Vercingetorix.  I also read the righting wrongs is important like the story of the Sons Tuireann, even if it kills you.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook