Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: Welcome Thread!
6 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2008 - 3:36PM #1
Agnosticspirit
Howdy all, may not be a bad idea to kick off a welcome and introduction thread, whaddaya think? :) JCarlin, can you turn this into a sticky so new members joining Bnet have a place to stop by, introduce themselves and get to know each other?

Kind regards all,

---- agnosticspirit. So named because I'm a "spiritual atheist" in the sense that my "spiritualism" takes form by an attempt to connect the dots between universe, physical reality and mind.
Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2008 - 3:36PM #2
Agnosticspirit
Howdy all, may not be a bad idea to kick off a welcome and introduction thread, whaddaya think? :) JCarlin, can you turn this into a sticky so new members joining Bnet have a place to stop by, introduce themselves and get to know each other?

Kind regards all,

---- agnosticspirit. So named because I'm a "spiritual atheist" in the sense that my "spiritualism" takes form by an attempt to connect the dots between universe, physical reality and mind.
Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2008 - 4:26PM #3
HazyElf
[QUOTE=agnosticspirit;716532]Howdy all, may not be a bad idea to kick off a welcome and introduction thread, whaddaya think? :) JCarlin, can you turn this into a sticky so new members joining Bnet have a place to stop by, introduce themselves and get to know each other?

Kind regards all,

---- agnosticspirit. So named because I'm a "spiritual atheist" in the sense that my "spiritualism" takes form by an attempt to connect the dots between universe, physical reality and mind.[/QUOTE]

Great idea, AgnosticSpirit!

I'm Hazy. I've been a member of Bnet since Summer, 2001, but I took a long hiatus, and now I'm back, hanging around these parts, enjoying the discussion and learning a lot from these great, intelligent, creative folks, here. Though I'm not much for labels, I've just recently begun to try on the label "atheist" for fit, after a long journey out of Christianity, and so far, it's working pretty good for me. Still lean a bit Pagan and Wiccan, mostly because I enjoy the celebrations of the seasons and find wonder and sacredness in Nature.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2008 - 5:54PM #4
Agnosticspirit
Hi Hazy, many atheists also find a wonder in Nature and magic in the Universe. We just don't find it necessary to wrap it all around god(dess)  :)

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2008 - 11:24PM #5
HazyElf
[QUOTE=agnosticspirit;716891]Hi Hazy, many atheists also find a wonder in Nature and magic in the Universe. We just don't find it necessary to wrap it all around god(dess)  :)[/QUOTE]

Hi, Aggie! : )

My path took me kind of the long way around to being atheist, but I'm pretty happy with what I learned along the way.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 23, 2008 - 9:54PM #6
enso
Hello, I'm enso. I became an atheist when I  was threatened with physical violence by a priest while going to classes for the blessed sacrament of confirmation (sic). That was not the first time but it was the last! I've always had an interest in science of all kinds, and consider myself fortunate to have been born at this time. The explosion of knowledge in our time is absolutely amazing. None of this has anything to do with a creator, it is all the hard work of man! I know of no one personally who claims to be an atheist, so up until now I have only spoken to a few people of my lack of faith. This is not out of fear. This is out of the realization that if you do not agree with someones faith, they really do not want to hear what you have to say. I hope the discourse that takes place here is fruitful.

Thank You
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 24, 2008 - 8:44PM #7
Agnosticspirit
Hello enso, welcome to Bnet! Like anywhere else, in some rooms you'll find fruitful discourse and in others, you'll see people at their worst. Each board has it's own personality, which you'll learn in your Bnet travels.

Pretty cool... a religious website with room for ATHEISTS! And not to sound like I'm "pumpin' up my own tribe", but some of the best, most thoughtful contributions tend to come from atheists. ;)

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 26, 2008 - 2:47AM #8
Wiscidea
I entered the world an atheist. I was raised free of religious indoctrination. I explored different paths. And now I enter the world again an atheist. I maintained and continue to maintain an open mind, but it is clear to me that there currently is no evidence that a god or goddess created the cosmos and/or watches over it. And traveling through life guided by faith alone is absurd. If someone finds evidence of a god or goddess, I'll certainly look at it.

I think this makes me an "implicit", "negative", or "soft" atheist—based on Dan Barker's brief description of atheists in his new book, "godless"—versus an "explicit", "positive", or "hard" atheist. I do not believe there is a god, but I hesitate to confidently declare there is no god.

I've marked this occasion by joining the Freedom From Religion Foundation (ffrf.org) this evening. I'm now a "card-carrying" atheist! The greatest threat to our civilization and the rest of life on Earth is the assault on reason. It is time to actively defend reason.

Peace
"Some people claim that there's a woman to blame. But I know it's my own damn fault."

Jimmy Buffet (Margaritaville)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 26, 2008 - 3:20AM #9
KARD9000
Well....there you are!!!

Welcome!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 26, 2008 - 12:14PM #10
Agnosticspirit
Born again Atheist, I like it! :) Welcome, wiscidia!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook