Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Showing respect to Native people
6 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2008 - 3:57PM #11
Agnosticspirit
There is no race completely without blood on its hands. We can respect our ancestors but we are not them...

My family tree reaches back to the Mayflower on my mother's side. In all the generations since then, it's quite possible some of my ancestors were slave owners. It's quite possibly some of my ancestors participated in the atrocities committed against the native tribes of people that once populated this country.

On my father's side, we've traced back to the Yucatan in old Mexico. If they were Mayans or Aztecs, then some of my father's ancestors COULD have participated in human sacrifice. Some of my father's ancestors could also have come from Spain.

I am OF my ancestors, but I am not THEM. Taking on a mantle of guilt on behalf of your ancestors is not only dangerous, but it reeks of self-importance and arrogance. What you do TODAY matters, how you teach your children to treat OTHERS matters. Perhaps a little more emphasis on our DESCENDANTS is the key.

Taking this one step further, I am an American citizen but I am not my government. I am proud to be an American while at the same time I am NOT proud of the atrocities committed right here on our very own soil that got us here today. Perhaps those who refuse to recognize the blood on our hands, our soil should be ashamed for willful ignorance. Some of the atrocities we STILL commit under our current leadership are equally abhorrent, but I refuse to hang my head in shame.  What I can do, what you can do, what ALL of us can do is to recognize the inherent humanity within us all and act on that. Speak, vote for better leaders, BECOME a better leader and offer a little more wisdom. Make the best mark you can on the world around you. Teach  your children how to become better human beings.

Kind regards,

---- agnosticspirit
Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2008 - 7:01PM #12
Tenlionz
Well bite my ass an call me bitten, what a dam fine excuse and perfectly acceptable way to dodge responsibility, hell you have my vote for the next blood thirsty dictator. lets just dehumanize all suffering and atrocity an chock it up to good ole boyz will be boyz. your kind of a spooky sum bich,

Ten lionz
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2008 - 2:08AM #13
Bunsinspace

Tenlionz wrote:

Well bite my ass an call me bitten, what a dam fine excuse and perfectly acceptable way to dodge responsibility, hell you have my vote for the next blood thirsty dictator. lets just dehumanize all suffering and atrocity an chock it up to good ole boyz will be boyz. your kind of a spooky sum bich,

Ten lionz

BS"D

Yeah that particular combination of unearned pride mixed with personal lack of responsibility is about as anti-human as I can imagine.  Like a body covered in skin with nothing underneath holding it all together or supporting it in any way.  No wonder governments and peoples ruled by such creatures become nothing or worse over time.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2008 - 11:05AM #14
Ursaminor6
I can see what you are trying to say AS, but you are saying it in a way that is very unattractive to First Nation people. We are people that say: "I hope you and your relations are well". As both a greeting and a constant reminder of what is important in life: your relationship with those around you.

We are people who believe (Please, know that I'm speaking in general, I'm sure many would disagree with my word use, metaphor, etc) that a person is intimately connected to the Seven Generations around them. That the cycles and gifts of those generations are the foundation for our generation.

You spend the first four paragraphs and most of the last paragraph hacking away at these connections... your relations... and then try to re-create a sense of community in the last 3-4 short sentences.

I am sure you enjoy all the positive baggage that comes from being a decendent of your people (which could include microwaves, democracy, rule of law, couches, video games, x-ray machines, slurpies, CD players, writing, etc.)... you should also except that there is negative baggage that comes with that 'foundation' too. For one example, the English lived on an island which allowed them to save a lot of their energy that other countries spent on defence, it also allowed them to be a seafaring people and forced them to be traders. It was these gifts of that island that allowed the English to have access to the diversity of other lands, which allowed the gifts of all lands to pour into England for further English-pushed modification. This gave England the technological might to create an empire on which, at one time, the sun never stopped shining. Now that the English have moved on from their Summer, and have entered their Fall, in many ways, these last few generations have been paying the cheque of their ancestor's Summer. This is how nations experience the flow of the Wheel of Life. Can a person be "nationless"? Culture-free? Not if you came out of a woman.

The name call in the history books is very small in comparision to the untold billions of humans that go un-named, as one of these un-named, my only choice is to make my own way, try to make a contribution to my community... but I cannot hack off my relations and say I am not a part of a greater whole. A greater whole that comes with both positive and negative baggage.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook