Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Brothers and Sisters of the Earth
6 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2008 - 2:12PM #1
golden_eagle
I am wondering, would an NDN consider even a white man as a brother or sister of the Earth.  It may be that a person is not of a particular nation, but what about being a family of humans.   

I am not sure that I am expressing myself correctly.  So let me use a christain example.  According to the Bible the first two humans was Adam and Eve, therefore the whole human race is actually related to one another.  Therefore, everyone is a brother or sister even if it is a very distant one.  Therefore, some christians, I know not all, would say that we should treat one another with love and respect because we are family even if it the other people of the world are of a distant relationship.

So what about NDN, do they believe that the human race has any kind of common parentage.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2008 - 2:58PM #2
TheWhiteHart
I believe that there are myths from many peoples of the earth that speak of a 'first couple' usually belonging to their tribe. But in regards to a common bond, NDN's call on 'all my relations'. This includes, but is not limited to, mankind as a whole. It is my understanding that this comes from the belief that all things upon the Mother Earth are connected. We all share the same breath/energy. We breathe the same air, drink the same water, etc. 'All my relations' includes animals, plants and yes, the rocks.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2008 - 3:27PM #3
wohali
GoldenEagle, probably the most basic and universal Indian prayer is: Ea nigada qvsdi idadadin (Tsalagi) meaning "All my relations in creation". Other nations have their own way of saying the same thing.

It recognizes that not only are we related to all other human beings, but to all other creatures as well.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2008 - 4:28PM #4
Bunsinspace
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2008 - 6:23PM #5
wohali
Buns, the site that you linked has this:

(Cherokee) [SIZE=-1][COLOR=#8e88dc]Afrika[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
Ho! Mitakuye Oyasin
"We Are All Related"

Mitakuye Oyasin is Lakota, not Tsalagi.

I'm not sure what the "Afrika" is in reference to.............
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2008 - 7:27PM #6
TheWhiteHart
[QUOTE=wohali;702561]Buns, the site that you linked has this:

(Cherokee) [SIZE=-1][COLOR=#8e88dc]Afrika[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Ho! Mitakuye Oyasin
"We Are All Related"

Mitakuye Oyasin is Lakota, not Tsalagi.

I'm not sure what the "Afrika" is in reference to............. [/QUOTE]

Looks like a musical group, Wohali.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2008 - 7:57PM #7
Bunsinspace
BS"D

That's what I get for linking to somebody else's posts.  Next time I'll just cut and paste the relevant excerpt.   Mea culpa.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 20, 2008 - 9:41AM #8
TheWhiteHart
[QUOTE=golden_eagle;701839]I am wondering, would an NDN consider even a white man as a brother or sister of the Earth.  [/QUOTE]

So Tenz said something to me that is appropo here.  You can acknowledge someone is related, but that doesn't mean you have to like them. Like the cousin always kicking sand in your face.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2008 - 7:34PM #9
Tenlionz
Chukma shki Itabee, its true that many are related, but their are many more that are not. I can not of course push my theory on any one else but their are many Elderz which agree with me when I say that some have evolved by adaptation and even appear to look like the created, but they are not the same in spirit, only the soul of a monkey could do the thingz theze adapted do. Then their are thoze which have alwayz been here the "Nebo", From the beginning Grand Father made hiz own Children then they made us, this iz why we call him Grand Father. The Godless killerz of Human beingz and commiterz of atrocity'z have no real Father but are left overz from creation, Ursa referez to then AZ Windigo, I have also heard them called changelingz or even halflingz. Only a created soul can return again and again AZ the rain or can remain a part the great circle, while the soulz of monkey'z may survive and pro create AZ a virus perpetuates its existence by feeding killing and screwing. Agree or not it must be admitted that their are many that live among us which do not posses a natural Human affection for life, theirz or any one Else's.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2008 - 10:17AM #10
Ursaminor6
Unfortunately, this thread is another example of the damage that has occured to Jewish and Christian oral history due to it being written down, lie-fully interpretated and then those interpretations being cemented through print.

It is my understanding that in the oral history of the Old Testement; Adam and Eve did not take on the human form we know it today until the point where they "don the skins of animals" in order to survive the world outside the garden of Eden. Prior to that point, Adam and Eve were much like how First Nations see the Deer Spirit in relation to individual deer. They were representations of HUMAN on a level closer to the Creator. Prior to that expulsion from Eden, the story of Adam, Eve and the snake can also be seen as the interplay of matter and energy, and the 'decision' that was made which saw matter slow down energy. Their continued interaction after that point caused the reality we see today... and eventually the need for HUMAN to don skins of animals and become physical. Unfortunately, Christians squeeze much of the truth of the Old Testement out of it be insisting it is just historical fact... rather than oral history, which includes, both allegorical and historical facts.

Obviously the idea of evolution and the primordial ooze can be easily metophored into the idea of man coming from mud. I believe the Anishinabae, the Cree's close, but dumber cousins (Just teasin' you filthy Nishes!), their word for themselves means basically "The star man who was brought down and made from the earth". While my people's name for themselves does not reference mud or earth (the root word for Adam means 'earth', or 'soil', I believe), our creation story does reference mud as a starting point for all things living.

Just as an interesting side bar: Canadian First Nations (not just the Blackfoot) refered to the dinosaur fossils they found around the Drumheller region as the Grandfather of ther Buffalo.

http://www.histori.ca/minutes/minute.do?id=10181
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook