Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Living Islam with Purpose
6 years ago  ::  Dec 29, 2007 - 8:37PM #1
Faqir
Dr. Umar Farooq Abd-Allah has released a new article on the Nawawi Foundation titled Living Islam with Purpose. It is longer and denser than his other articles, but is much fuller in its vision. I think that this is a crucially important article that can be a framework for changing ourselves and our communities if it is seriously engaged. I hope that everyone takes the time to read this article.

http://nawawi.org/courses/index_reading_room.html
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 29, 2007 - 8:37PM #2
Faqir
Dr. Umar Farooq Abd-Allah has released a new article on the Nawawi Foundation titled Living Islam with Purpose. It is longer and denser than his other articles, but is much fuller in its vision. I think that this is a crucially important article that can be a framework for changing ourselves and our communities if it is seriously engaged. I hope that everyone takes the time to read this article.

http://nawawi.org/courses/index_reading_room.html
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 30, 2007 - 10:34AM #3
blucat
It's long, I only got to page 3 which was just the introduction.

But thanks for the link because I did read the article titled ,'one god many names' I wish i could borrow some of the things he said in there, but it was a pdf file and I couldn't copy anything.  Anyway, now i feel I can refer to God, which has Indo root from the word 'khuda' which is used in urdu and hindi, to the Semitic languages that use Allah, in arabic, to elohim in hebrew, or alaha in Aramaic, and they are all in reason similar which mean 'the one who is invoked(God, khuda) to ' the one who is worshipped' (Allah, elohim, alaha).   
Interesting part about Beowulf which I hope to read now, how it is sixth century poem, which mentions the word God the first time in European history, and in this poem they mention different events from pre-Moses time also the emphasis on one God, and this poem was written before the Prophet Muhammad was born.  Really interesting, i know they made a movie titled Beowulf, i wonder what it's like, but hopefully, God willing, I will have a look at the poem, not sure about the movie, wait till its out on DVD and add it to my rental list.
thanks again for the link, it just goes to show, that the history of   post revelation of the Quran, and the civilisation that was built, has value and has given some important insight or wonderful thoughts.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 30, 2007 - 11:16AM #4
blucat
beowulf seems to be a manipulation by Christians, what was essentially a pagan poem, that would show why there are biblical stories with in the poem of Beowulf.  Think i need to do more research in what word to use when refering to the Al-Mighty, GOD, God or Allah.  I have been brought up to call Him Allah, but been taught to call Him GOD, and now after reading this article, find its okay to call him God. I don't know don't want to blaspheme or take the Lord's name in vain, if only i was an Arab then Allah would be right, but being from the South-East Asain continent, maybe khuda, would be right.

Note to self stay away from sunni literature.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 30, 2007 - 2:58PM #5
need4truth
Assalamu Alaikum,

I'm just about finished with the article, and I would love to discuss it here. I wish they would have offered a mini-course on it. I think this paper reflects what Dr. Umar has brought up in previous meetings, that Muslims need to attain a basic level of "Islamic literacy." I've already learned so much from what I've read in this paper so far. iA I'll come back with some questions and/or thoughts.

n4t
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2007 - 1:57PM #6
sonrisadeallah
Thank you-I want to read this article.  It is sooo long though.  Also, I appreciate the introduction to nawawi foundation through this site.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2007 - 8:09PM #7
QureshiAbbasAli
JAK for sharing the link!

imam an-Nawawi (rh) was such a repository of knowledge - i hope that they get to work on bringing his works in english as well.

regards, ali.q
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 01, 2008 - 10:33AM #8
Faqir
Salams to all,

n4t, whenever you finish please feel free to share your thoughts or questions. I think it would be good to discuss this. One of the most pressing points he made, and one that the muslim community is just starting to get its minds around now, is the importance of priorities. It's better late than never I guess. 90% of the things the muslim community have been discussing have been very low priorities while we have been ignoring very real problems for a long time. I am as guilty of this as anyone.

Ali, I do not know that they have or ever had any intention to translate any works of Imam Nawawi. I could be wrong, but I would not be holding your breath.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 01, 2008 - 5:43PM #9
QureshiAbbasAli
[QUOTE=Faqir;173198]Dr. Umar Farooq Abd-Allah has released a new article on the Nawawi Foundation titled Living Islam with Purpose. It is longer and denser than his other articles, but is much fuller in its vision. I think that this is a crucially important article that can be a framework for changing ourselves and our communities if it is seriously engaged. I hope that everyone takes the time to read this article.

http://nawawi.org/courses/index_reading_room.html[/QUOTE]

assalam o alaykum Sidi

i read through the first one,

"Islam and the Cultural Imperative"

it almost sounded like a chapter out of the work (s) of Jeffrey Lang, i.e the cultivation of a distinct American Muslim Indigenous culture. Lang, was perhaps to brutal to use terms like "suffocation" etc, when he penned his response, but Shaykh Umar, may God give him a long life, did it so within the construct of the different culture (s) that Islam spread to

to a certain extent, i can relate to it, having being raised in Jakarta (how muslim Women dress would be consider be less than muslim other Countries), interaction with the Turkish Community, and to say the least, the Khoja Swahili speaking muslims, and not to forget to my own Indo Sub Continent Culture, with it's various flavors.

for the better part, this article raises a self awareness for many muslims

1 - that "urf" has a distinct tradition in Islam (hanging around Persians also reminded me about it, especially their celebration of the Persian New Year). i am not sure, how many muslims, are even aware of it, outside the realm of their own "homesick" mosques

2 - even if there is an awareness, there is a rabid reaction, particularly among the arab speaking Community to reject everything that is not arab. Shaykh Faruq, was very very bold to write about the acceptance of pre-Islamic customs (a euphism for it is jahiliya) Customs within the arab context. i recall, another learned speaker, Dr. Murad Hoffman (who now resides in Turkey), was heckled when he was asked in a mosque, attended by Somalian and Egyptian what the proper "attire" for muslim dress was. when he responded, the "urf", it became a shouting match

3 - priorities, and the patriarchal and authoritarian attitudes: have brutally suffered from it (and perhaps it even emanates from my writings). a younger group of muslim families had started Sunday Islamic School, with their meagre funds, which was alter taken over by a larger and much more affluent section of the muslim Community.

4 - though, not all is waste. i have witnessed, and there is even talk among scholarly circles (a recent talk attended where Imam Sitraj Wahaj spoke), the need to recognize this. he was also extremely critical of the isolated behaviour of one Community at the expense of the other. it was rather dissapointing that the speaker after him, instead of focussing on his speech, spent it refuting this notion of "urf". what a waste it was, and i left

this is all that i could garner from it, others would do a better effort in sharing their thoughts,

insha 'Allah, ali.q
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2008 - 8:53PM #10
Faqir
Salam Alaikum Ali,

I am actually surprised that you haven't read the cultural imperative article. Dr. Umar is probably the muslim leader that I most identify with in terms of outlook, so I sometimes subconsciously think everyone else knows and cares as much about him as I do. Dr. Umar has been working on these issues long before it was popular to do so and he is sometimes quite bold in his pronouncements. He is quite heavily influenced by Imam Shaitibi and probably even more so Imam Qarafi and I know that some of his views that have grown out of these sources have drawn a lot of ire from some quarters.

Even sometimes with the notion of custom it can be shocking how far Dr. Umar takes it. There was once a Canadian Prime Minister name Pierre Trudeau who declared what is known as the war measures act which basically allowed arrest and detention without charge in response to Quebec separatist terrorists. He was asked by a reporter how far he would go to stop the terrorists and he famously replied, "just watch me". Sometimes I get that feeling, minus the terrorists, when watching Dr. Umar. In a lot of ways he is a radical, but he works inside the tradition rather than outside it. I also feel good that I got to spread that small bit of Canadian identity.

I think a lot of people sensed that creating a distinct muslim american culture was what was needed, but a lot of people still felt unsure about doing so. I think in that first article Dr. Umar clearly showed that not only is it needed and not only is it the right thing to do, but it is what has happened the world over. It gave people some sense of legitimization in opposing the importation of arab (or persian, or whatever) culture as a necessary part of Islam. When I first read it, it said most importantly to me that we are Canadian or American (or whatever) and that's okay. We do not need to become less Canadian, Islam will adapt and become more Canadian and if we are serious about believing that Islam is for all people and all places then it could be no other way.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook