7 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2008 - 10:16AM #1
snoogins03
These issues could be a bit touchy, yet it seems everyone tends to think the same around here (not always a bad thing), but I will try and be the devil's advocate to make it more interesting (sorry DA666, guess I stole your title)

1. Economists say we are headed towards a recession. If that happens, we are going to drag down all the countries that are economically tied to us because of the idea of a "global economy". Do you think it could lead to a depression? What are your thoughts on this?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   2. War with Iran seems almost certain. Our president is an idiot - imo, more than likely  he will probably declare war with them just to have something to do. Do you think it is plausible?

3. Effective fuel sources and Global Warming. Is Global Warming caused by people or is it natural? The earth's temperature is constantly fluxuating - it goes through periods when it is hotter and periods when it is colder, but are we helping to harm it?

4. Who do you plan to vote for in the upcoming elections? Why? What political party do you identify with? If you don't know, try this - http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz.html

5. Abortion - Yay or nay?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 30, 2008 - 12:01AM #2
SatanicStalker
[QUOTE=snoogins03;249070]1. Economists say we are headed towards a recession. If that happens, we are going to drag down all the countries that are economically tied to us because of the idea of a "global economy". Do you think it could lead to a depression? What are your thoughts on this?[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I know my own limitations. I know essentially nothing about economics, so I simply do not know.
                                                                                                                                                                                         [QUOTE=snoogins03;249070] 2. War with Iran seems almost certain. Our president is an idiot - imo, more than likely  he will probably declare war with them just to have something to do. Do you think it is plausible? [/QUOTE]

Plausible, yes. I tend to believe that our country, or rather the banking interests behind the curtain, use war as a tool to increase government spending, and thus government borrowing from the federal reserve, to make a profit.

[QUOTE=snoogins03;249070]3. Effective fuel sources and Global Warming. Is Global Warming caused by people or is it natural? The earth's temperature is constantly fluxuating - it goes through periods when it is hotter and periods when it is colder, but are we helping to harm it? [/QUOTE]

As a scientist, I believe that Global Warming is a scientific fact, that is quite plausibly caused in part by human polution, but that this hypothesis is impossible to test so we officially don't know. As a human being I believe that the currect global warming trend is largely caused by human production of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.

[QUOTE=snoogins03;249070]4. Who do you plan to vote for in the upcoming elections? Why? What political party do you identify with? If you don't know, try this - http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz.html[/QUOTE]

I do not as of yet have a concrete plan of voting for any given cantidate. I do not identify with any political party, and I think the bipartisan system sucks. No, I don't identify with the independants either. I choose to identify with no one else, and keep my political beliefs my own. My political beliefs themselves could most acurately be described as radical reactionary. They fall on the far ends of the two extremes, and almost never anywhere in the middle.

[QUOTE=snoogins03;249070]5. Abortion - Yay or nay? [/QUOTE]

In general? Nay. I believe that a human life begins at conception, and for an abortion to be justified it should stand up to the same criteria of any justified killing for the purpose of self defense. I believe that the most sacred thing in existance is realized potential, and the second most is potential itself, and each person has the maximum potential for their lives while in the womb. To kill all that human potential without need is a horrible crime. However, I recognize that sometimes the need is there.

~Stalker
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 30, 2008 - 1:40AM #3
ronnewmexico
Well I am not a Satanist but the post didn't qualify to who may respond so....

War with Iran....not possible. A military excursion such as bombing the place up, is possible, but the US military is just stretched far to thin to do much more, logistically impossible.

Recession...we may be technically in one now, a quarter or so of decreased Gross domestic product,but are probably not. The market is reflecting the housing bust and carryovers into seemingly remote areas due to large reach of the bad subprime debt, as much as anything. Earning are really not that bad. So depression in light of a current global 4 plus percent growth, is not likely.

Abortion....would never advise anyone to have one but the choice to make is theirs not mine. Very bad karmic effect  I would think. but you can't outlaw others choices in this area.

Global warming, other than in the US I think this is accepted as fact and that it is human caused is also accepted as fact. Soon there will remain pockets of naysayers like still exist the flat earth society, but since Exon Mobile has stopped the disinformation campaign,(just last year), all but those few will be gone from that camp.  Very similiar to the tobacco industries response to the first claims that cigarette smoking was bad for your health. Thousands of scientific studies that showed(all funded by the tobacco companies)  it unequivocally was not....the creation  thusly of the term junk science.

I being in the US assist the democrats. They are not what I would want by any stretch but are better, far better than the Republicans. At least we may finally get health care for all. Shame to think the 900 Billion spend in Iraq could have paid for that and to completely secure social security and medicare......A real shame.
A tragedy actually. These people have been raped by their government.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2008 - 1:37AM #4
devilsadvocate666
[QUOTE=snoogins03;249070]These issues could be a bit touchy, yet it seems everyone tends to think the same around here (not always a bad thing), but I will try and be the devil's advocate to make it more interesting (sorry DA666, guess I stole your title)

1. Economists say we are headed towards a recession. If that happens, we are going to drag down all the countries that are economically tied to us because of the idea of a "global economy". Do you think it could lead to a depression? What are your thoughts on this?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   2. War with Iran seems almost certain. Our president is an idiot - imo, more than likely  he will probably declare war with them just to have something to do. Do you think it is plausible?

3. Effective fuel sources and Global Warming. Is Global Warming caused by people or is it natural? The earth's temperature is constantly fluxuating - it goes through periods when it is hotter and periods when it is colder, but are we helping to harm it?

4. Who do you plan to vote for in the upcoming elections? Why? What political party do you identify with? If you don't know, try this - http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz.html

5. Abortion - Yay or nay?[/QUOTE]

1.  We really can't help the recession once its on.  For the most part, its attempting to control something that fundamentally isn't controllable, the monetary actions of every person in the US and those who interact with our economy.  We can't help the fact it will have negative affects upon the global market either, its part of the price countries and TNCs pay for investing abroad, especially in America.  Could it lead to a depression?  If we allow lending practices to remain as they are prior to this mess, possibly, as well as starting yet another war.

2.  I personally hope that we don't go to war with Iran, as that will only serve to rally Iranians around their theocratic oligarchy, i.e., the Guardian Council of Iran, the Supreme Leader, and his specialized branch of elite soldiers in the military.  They are the real government of Iran, with the President serving largely as a figure head.  The problem with attacking a government like Iran is that first, it could trigger a phenomena known in international relations theory as "rally around the flag syndrom", in which a wave of patriotism sweeps the public, and brings a dramatic rise in support for the Executive, despite the incompetence or malice of that branch of government towards its people.  Given the character of the President and the Guardian Council, along with the Supreme Leader, it is quite possible they might pull this as a propaganda piece if we attack them.  Second, it would serve to radicalize much of the Iranian population, who are overwhelmingly disappointed with their current government as is.  Many Iranians are rather young, disaffected with the "revolution", and would prefer peaceful relations with the West.  Third, this could easily destabilize the region, allowing radical and terrorist groups to seize power and rise in influence.  A lack of government infrastructure and political unity tends to leave gaps of complete anarchy, which is always exploited by terrorist groups.  Iran's current government came to power in similar circumstances when the government of the Raza Shah was toppled in a popular uprising and had been worn down by the communist Feyadin militias.  I could go on, but that could take hours. 

3.  I would have to say that global climate change is primarily a man-made problem.  But the debate strikes me as purposely drawing attention from a simple point: what is the sanity in poisoning your air, contaminating your water, and disposing of hazardous waste that could have horrific effects in the long and short term on the world you live in? 

4.  I'm still waiting for the down select before casting in my support for a candidate. 

5.  Yay.  I find comparing a clump of cells that's akin to a bacteria in practically every regard for a few weeks, and is effectively a parasite until its finally outside it's host to a person, which is sentient, able to physically survive on its own, and thus, function as a member of society, to be absurd.  I don't consider a fetus human until it is finally born.  And until there are more programs out there to actually assist mothers with raising the child, rather than carrying a fetus to term, as well as the stigma against single, unwed and young mothers remains, I find it hard to support banning a woman from terminating a pregnancy on the grounds that some how she's committing "murder"- as opposed to bringing a child into the world she might not be able to take care of and will recieve marginal, if any support in raising.  It's basically forcing a child into a life in which they are disadvantaged from the start, and could easily find themselves in foster care or becoming a ward of the State.  Is it really fair to the child to bring them into the world like that?  Better education on contraceptives and human reporduction, availability of such contraceptives, the removal of the prior mentioned social stigmas, as well as wide spread, federally backed programs actually committed to assisting mothers in raising their children after carrying them to term is far more likely to serve as a step in the right direction for both sides of the abortion debate than simply banning it out right.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2008 - 10:14AM #5
snoogins03
[QUOTE=snoogins03;249070]These issues could be a bit touchy, yet it seems everyone tends to think the same around here (not always a bad thing), but I will try and be the devil's advocate to make it more interesting (sorry DA666, guess I stole your title)

Here is my opinion - if you don't want to hear it, don't read it.

1. I believe we are in a recession now, but I don't think there is much of a chance of a depression. The government giving us money on our tax return is a bit absurd - who is going to use that money on stuff? I would pay off bills or put it in the bank. It's what, 600 dollars if you make 3,000 dollars a year? 600 dollars is a lot of money to waste...

2. I think it's plausible. President Bush is like a rock - only dumber. I don't think it will be too much longer until some type of drama is started again.

3. Meh. I just asked to read the opinions. I don't know much about science, but I have heard that the Earth naturally changes in temperature, yet I know that we are hurting the Earth.

4. I don't really see any of the candidates appealing in the least bit - Especially Hillary. She is kind of scary, I think. Everyone says she will be the next woman president, but I really don't see much of a woman in her. She's so masculine, closed off and prim. It will definitely make it harder to deal with Middle Eastern countries, as they see women lower than men. A woman holding a man's position is crazy to them.

We had to take that quiz in my Current Affairs class and it said I am a Libertarian. I suppose that's about right.

5. Yay. It's a woman's choice. I am very careful BUT if I were to get pregnant, what would be the point of carrying a child for 9 months, quit school, puke every ten seconds and eat cucumbers with chocolate on them if I were going to give it up for adoption? I am 17 (I will be 18 in February) and I can't care for a baby. Also, why do we need MORE people in the world? It's my belief that Bush won't bring the troops back home for good because there will be a population boom like after WWII.

BTW, is fluxuating even a word?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2008 - 7:27PM #6
Maugrim
[QUOTE=snoogins03;249070]
1. Economists say we are headed towards a recession. If that happens, we are going to drag down all the countries that are economically tied to us because of the idea of a "global economy". Do you think it could lead to a depression? What are your thoughts on this?           

We are certainly headed towards a recession. I don't think we'll see a depression as bad as the Great Depression, but maybe something more along the lines of what we saw for a time during the 80s, if I recall rightly.

I heard that people are about to receive a "tax rebate" in hopes that they'll turn around and pump it into the economy, but in my limited experience, the word "rebate" usually inspires a lot of people to save, not spend. They'd do better to call it a "bonus."

Beyond this, I'm not an economist, so I don't have much to say on these matters.

2. War with Iran seems almost certain. Our president is an idiot - imo, more than likely  he will probably declare war with them just to have something to do. Do you think it is plausible?

Syria and Iran are likely targets, and it's not only because Bush wants something to do. Part of it has to do with hubris and wanting to establish a grand legacy, part of it of course has to do with oil and Halliburton, and part is in reaction to the very real, but often misunderstood threat posed by extremist Islam.

It'll be a long hard road out of Hell, least of all because many of the crucial positions of power are being filled by oil men, chicken hawks, and Bush's evangelical Christian cronies, and these sorts of people often know burros from burrows where war strategy and history are concerned.

Not to mention, Saudi Arabia, the home country of many of the 9/11 terrorists, and the home of Wahabism, is our buddy, so we're not going to ruffle any of their feathers.

Even if the earth does have natural cycles, we certainly aren't helping matters! Better safe than sorry, I say. Global warming is only one ecological issue humankind needs to deal with, and global warming itself is tied to all kinds of other issues--environmental, political, cultural, and social.

I suspect I will be voting Democrat.

Yay, yay, yay.

Of course, contraception is always preferable.

But, whatever gets superfluous people off the planet, and keeps superfluous or unwanted ones off to begin with.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2008 - 10:31PM #7
Kiryu
1. Economists say we are headed towards a recession. If that happens, we are going to drag down all the countries that are economically tied to us because of the idea of a "global economy". Do you think it could lead to a depression? What are your thoughts on this?

I also state that I am not very educated on economies.No, I do not think that a recession in our economy will drag down other contries. As a matter of fact, I just read an article that pretty much stated that if we go into enough of a recession the tide will turn and the US will be the cheap labor. Other countries may start exporting jobs to us. *snicker* I do not know if we will actually hit a depression. These recessions tend to happen every now and then.

2. War with Iran seems almost certain. Our president is an idiot - imo, more than likely he will probably declare war with them just to have something to do. Do you think it is plausible?

I think it will depend on what the next president does, since the election is coming soon. Last I read, Obama wishes to handle Iran peacefully. However, it's hard to say how that will go. I really do not think we can afford another war....

I believe it is a little of both. Humans do a lot that hurts the natural environment and speeds the warming process along (especially Westerners who have along history of believing humans to be above and outside Nature). I believe that Global Warming is a natural reaction to a species that is becoming overpopulated and out of control.

I voted for Obama in the caucus, though I am perfectly okay with Hilary if she ends up winning. I am definitely voting Democrat. Sadly, I would prefer for one of the third parties, such as Mike Gravel, to be nominated and win but such things will not happen...

5. Abortion - Yay or nay?

I am definitely pro-choice. I do believe that abortion should be a last resort. Abortion clinics do try to recommend other alternatives, depsite what some people want to have our society believe. It is a gruesome process. However, it is against my ethics to control what decision another person makes on this topic. I cannot know every person's circumstances and why they would choose to have an abortion. I do not think that total pro-life abortion bans are the right thing to do. Adoption is also not all it is cracked up to be. While the system has been refined, it is still possible to create many difficult children with behavioral problems due to being constantly shifted between foster families for the most important years of their lives. Unless you are blonde haired and blue-eyed, it takes a while for a child to be adopted (because most families able to afford adoption are middle-class Whites).
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook